Which diagnostics kit is best ?

redbull_a2

A2OC Donor
Im looking to invest in a diagnostic kit for my A2 , but dont know which one i should get, There so many on Ebay and my missus is worried that if i plug one in it will screw the car up .

Think it will save me money in the long run .

Thanks in advance

Hi,

The cables found on Ebay are cheap because, on the whole, they don't work. Some work to a degree, but imho there's nothing worse than not being able to trust a tool......and for a diagnostic tool it's imperative you can a). trust the results, b). trust if finds ALL issues & c). trust the provided software isn't going to bu993r your laptop.

The genuine VCDS cables do not appear for sale very often on Ebay because most owners understand just how valuable they are.

As the saying goes....." you get what you pay for".........However........You're probably close (ish) to me, so I'd be happy to give your car a scan and you can see how the tools works.

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks for that . That bit of kit sounds amazing . Can anyone tell me why the ones on ebay are so cheap ? Do they clear all the faults ?

That's because they are 'legacy' type that that only works to old vagcom shareware version. It uses a COM port simulator on windows to connect via USB port and takes a little setup with zero support (google is your friend). You may have to adjust the baud rate to see if it works. I bought mine from ebay years ago and it sure works fine with VAGCOM (pre-vcds) v409 and gives me the fault codes. I can clear codes too. But I can't do advance things like code in a module, adaptation or calibrate throttle body which my friend's fully paid for version can.

Back