Which fuel filter do I buy? Chassis number included

Hi Guys,

The car is approaching 80,000 miles so along with the oil and cleaning of the K&N air filters I think its about time I changed the fuel filter. However, my car is 2002 model, but not sure if its pre or post April. If I supply the chassis number (number on dashboard) could someone tell me which fuel filter is needed.

The car is a basic 1.4tdi 75bhp.

Chassis #: WAUZZZ8Z92N

Many Thanks,

Mark

If the number after the N is less than 70000, then you need the earlier type filter, according to the parts catalogue.

Double check with your dealer first, as if it's wrong, you need to know that you can exchange.

Another way to tell is to whip off the cover and take a look - metal canister is the earlier one, black plastic housing is the latter.

Cheers,

mike

Many thanks for reply. If the snow dies down by tomorrow I'll take a look underneath the car. But as your post, the number is a lot less than 70,000 :)

I know is a big ask, but has anyone got a image of where the filter lives. i have a 2001 A2 TDI SE, and last year took the aluminium cover off on the drivers side, just infront of the rear wheel. but found the fuel lines, (i think) but did not find anything that resembled a canister type filter.

I bought on from Vag parts a while back, and the canister is about the size of a coke can. But on mine it was a tiny thing.

have i got an incorrect filter fitted or what?

can someone help

thansk

John

John,

You've got a TDi, so the fuel filter is on the nearside, again, just in front of the rear wheel.

The early TDis have a metal cannister with a white plastic piece on the bottom, the later types are paper filters housed in a black plastic body.

Regardless of whick type you have, TDis all live under the nearside. Petrols all live under the offside.

Cheers,

Mike

Back