Which? review Super vs Regular (petrol & diesel)

humps

A2OC Donor
Interesting test they published this month.

I'll try to summarise it.

Test cars: 1.6 Focus, 1.4TSI (168bhp) Golf, 1.5 Deisel Megane
Test fuel: 95RON (Esso regular, Tesco regular, Shell regular), 99RON (Tesco 99, V-power), BP regular and BP Ultimate Diesel. Each type bought from four different forecourts of the same brand
Test rig: rolling road, resistence programme used by official EU consumption measurement and another (I can't remember) 'more realistic' simulation programme.

On the Focus, around 1% increase in whp with v-power the most. MPG is higher but only marginal. On the TSI Golf, Tesco 99 game a bit more power but V-power gave +5.3% whp. The MPG figure was around 1mpg better with the 'super' fuel. Both cars emits less hydrobarbon, NOx and CO.

On the diesel, BP Ultimate gave very little mpg advantage compared to regular. But doubled the soot content in emission. And the Megane already has a particulate filter.

Chemically, the 'super' petrol and diesel shows significant differences but notably, BP Ultimate contains double the amount of sulphur compared to regular contributing to the soot emission. Diesel cars are more polluting than petrol cars in this respect anyway but it seems BP's super diesel makes it doubly worse.

Chemical test also showed the Octane and Cetane ratings are correct with the notable exception to Tesco regular (95RON) measured 97RON in the lab. Which again, IIRC, was shown in the whp measurement.

There was also a special section on the additives in super fuel. Which they concluded is too complex to prove what's there and what actually works. But acknowledged there is no reason to doubt their claims of detergents, combustion enhancer, lubricants ...etc.

In all, they don't recommend the BP Ultimate. Regular petrol is value for money but high power and forced induction cars would benefit from super petrol.

My own conclusion (with experience) is Tesco regular is not bad but Shell is definitely better than the rest. I would use Tesco regular for everyday drives but a tank or two of V-power to let the additives work on the engine once in a while, and at any track days if I do punish the little car again...

Back