Which Sat Nav

SantfeKuss

I have a 2001 1.4 TDi and was wondering which Audi sat nav would fit. Pretty sure its double din,although the climate control may need a bit of a trim on the bottom square corners, to fit where the tray thing is above the ashtray.
Been scouring ebay but there all A3 and A4 stuff,
How much are they new from the stealers ??

Hi
Unlike other Audi models there is no double din cage available to convert your existing dash opening - officially you need a whole new dashboard. Members of the German A2oc have aparently converted a single slot dash and installed the Navi+ system, so it is possible.
If you can sort the dash out, check the attached web site - they can supply a complete A2 system for under £600. If this is not possible and you want to stay with Audi gear, the only other choice is the simpler system where the navi box is mounted in the boot and the DIS dashboard display is used for the directions.
http://www.satnavsystems.com/#

Cheers Spike

Hi SantfeKuss
I had a look at the tyresmoke link. If you are interested in the RSN-E DVD based system there are some old threads worth reading on our site - see attached.
As you probably know, this set-up has never been original equipment on the A2 so any head unit you buy will need the front panel shaping to fit the dash. Also, as stated in the link, I'm not sure about the colour match of the head unit relative to the rest of the dash. I don't think the lack of DIS will detract from the installation too much as I understand it only displays the radio stations and duplicate sat nav direction arrows in the dash.
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3084&highlight=frido

Cheers Spike

spike said:
If this is not possible and you want to stay with Audi gear, the only other choice is the simpler system where the navi box is mounted in the boot and the DIS dashboard display is used for the directions.
I'm interested in this option - any good sources for further info/part details and prices?

Ian

Even the cd based system would do me, all my music is on my ipod so I never play cd's.....and because I have a cassette player now :p Reading the old post, did you get yours sorted Spike ?

PS.... I love sites like this, I know nothing about cars,never mind A2's and this is such a great source of information ..... Thanks

From memory the A2 console does not have three din slots, only two and one is take by the heating controls.

The third area (Where the recess is) is under width so you need to do some b*gg*erisation (engineering term) to fix a DIN unit in it.

There were a number of posts about this a couple of years ago when people were trying to upgrade radios.

Hi SantfeKuss
I've got all the Sat Nav+ bits now so its just a case of sorting out the wiring and getting round to doing the installation.
I see your only up the road so if your tempted to go the double din route then your welcome to have a look at the gear and see whats involved.

Cheers Spike

Cheers Spike

Prob gonna wait till I get back off hol, but out of interest what coverage does this system offer? I.e., GB/EU etc?

Hi driveforward
Discs are available for the UK (obviously) and most of Europe. Check out the attached link and enter car make then model and year (Sat Nav model is BNS.4X)
http://www.navshop.com/

Cheers Spike

I have installed the RNS-E DVD based navigation in my A2, and recently I added the original bluetooth interface in it.

Here's a few pics of how the bluetooth interface is integrated into the RNS-E.

I'll post a couple of pics of how the system looks in the car in a few days.

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

Hi Kitora
Did you install this yourself ? If so, could you tell us about the installation - which navi head unit you used, trimming the front panel to suit the A2 dash, the wiring changes etc and include a few pictures

Cheers Spike

Hi All
We've got the standard CD version in our A2 - fitted as option when new. It only displays using the DIS and the buttons are down by the handbrake. The CD-Rom unit sits under the boot floor. Might save hacking the dash about! I've just ordered a new handbrake console which has the correct place for the buttons - £25 as a previous dealer scratched it replacing the sat nav buttons. Don't no what else is involved but happy to have a look at the weekend for part numbers.
Cheers
Jonathan

Back