Which type of engine is better? 1.4 or 1.6 petrol?

freakyeke

A2OC Donor
I drove my first A2 yesterday, a banger 1.4 SE petrol and have to say I was quite surprised how nippy it felt.

My question to all A2 owners, who have driven both the 1.4 or 1.6 petrol, which is better?

Are the 1.6 FSi's so unreliable?

The 1.4 felt great, but I only drove it around town so not sure how it would fare on a motorway compared to the 1.6?

The 1.6 is the 'better' engine when it's running right but it has got reliability problems which seem to affect a lot of fsi's. The engine code for the FSI is BAD...a coincidence :)

The 1.4 is a great little car and more than capable of managing motorways and very nippy around town too.

The 1.6 is nippier, but at a steady 70 there is not a huge difference.

Steve B

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I like to keep on top of maintenance and enjoy tinkering with cars. So, I am thinking the 1.6 is for me, but not if it's going to cost me a fortune to maintain.

My thinking is that the 1.4 felt nippy so the 1.6 must feel quite quick. I do use the motorway to go to work, so need something capable for motorway work too.

I would recommend you buy on condition rather than what engine it's got. It is worth mentioning that the FSI's tend to be more specced up in my experience.

I have a FSI, and now that Tony at A2Cars has given it a good service it's running better than ever. They were early tech though, so can throw a wobbly every so often.

The 1.6 is much better to drive. The 1.4 tends to be more difficult to get moving at junctions without juddering or over-revving. Not a huge issue but noticeable nonetheless. The FSI is also considerably quicker when you want to give it the beans, provided you move through the gears (110 bhp vs 75). Due to the lean burn, the FSI will not accelerate well if the engine rpm is low (in a higher gear) and it can almost feel like turbo lag once the revs rise and you get more power. You don't get this to nearly the same extent in the 1.4. The 1.4 is about 80 kg lighter as the engine block is aluminium, whereas the FSI is cast iron, which makes it a bit more front heavy but I haven't really noticed this driving normally. The higher rev limiter (over 6k) means that you're less likely to need to change up when overtaking, which feels better.
Motorway driving isn't too different, as the gear ratios are very similar, so rpm will be about the same for each car at a certain speed.
With regards to fuel and fuel economy, the 1.4 isn't too bothered by what petrol you use (though super still seems a bit better) whereas the FSI wants Tesco momentum or Shell V-power. Using regular unleaded gives worse performance and 10% worse fuel economy, so isn't worth it at all, and I've even found that 97 RON super is worse than 99 stuff. If you drive the FSI carefully it gets better fuel economy than the 1.4, but equally I find that being a bit more careless actually makes it worse than for the 1.4. Still, the difference isn't huge.
I haven't had a reliability issue yet with the FSI, but I've only had it for a couple of months so we'll see...

... part of the resolution for the pick-up issue on the standard 1.4 is a software update which is available through your friendly Audi dealer. Another helping hand is given my feeding it 98RON, which makes it much more difficult to stall.

Overall, the forums across Europe are full of issues with FSIs. Generally on the intake side, through to the occasional injector, thermostat housing and other coolant parts which can't deal with the long-term higher temperatures in the FSI (110C vs 90C for the 1.4) and therefore become brittle and start to leak.

this sums it up pretty well:
They were early tech though, so can throw a wobbly every so often.

- Bret

I had a 1.4 for 2 years before my FSI.
I confirm what has been said before. What "wears" the most on the FSI is ... the engine management yellow light on the dashboard :)
Exe_Chris has wrote a good sum up.
Contrary to him, I could easily feel the weight difference on the front axle. The 1.4 is less prone to understeer.

Whichever you choose, give it a long motorway treatment as often as you can, Audi engines like that

flensburg2 (36).jpg

Back