Which tyres

Mike.M

A2OC Donor
Which 16" tires do you folks presently recommend?
Continental TS850 have a good write up, has anyone tried them?

Regards
Mike

Although I haven't used that particular version i generally agree Continental tyres work well, I have just swapped from Conti's to Michelin on my Freelander and mpg has suffered very noticably.... :( i won't make that mistake again!

There is a Continental owned sub-brand called SAVA which use 'cast-off' Continental specifications (made somehwhere in former Yugoslavia, I think) which have also got good reviews particularly their all-weather tyre.

whats the best size comfort wise for 16" SE alloys, currently running 185/50 but its almost as crashy as my old type R

I'm running Falken FK453's in 205/50r16's on TT mini fives
They are great for grip and quiet, I'm getting about 57mpg with 33psi front and 30psi rear.

I really like these even though they are mid-economy. They seem to last about 15k miles...

And I don't hang around......especially cornering. So 15k is pretty good

Also...the speedo is spot on now

J

Last edited:
Hi Mike,
I've just replaced four tyres on my 1.4 petrol. After a lot of research, on line and A2oc, I've gone for the Continental Premium Contact. I have also stuck with the 185 x 50. The ride is still "hard" but I do believe Continental are one of the best tyres out, both on the car and the bicycle.
I got mine via the Internet with fitting by my local Halfords all in just over £100 a piece.
paul

Currently running stock 185/50R16 but in the search for more comfort and wider tyre choice I'm planning to move to 195/50R16 for the next set. This will make the speedo read 1.7% slower which will make it more accurate because GPS says 70mph when speedo says 74mph. I'm hoping that the extra 6mm of sidewall will make a noticeable comfort improvement - it certainly shouldn't be worse!

John

I have the 195/50/16 tyre size makes a noticeable difference.

Last edited:
will a 205/50 fit on the SE 16" alloy ok???

205/50/16 are too wide for the 6J 6-spoke SE alloys and could be unsafe. 195/50/16 works OK on the SE wheels, providing a noticeable overhang (and with it, protection). 185/50/16 is standard, but 185/55/16 should work just fine if you're looking for a bit more bounce and an accurate speedo.

Tom

Last edited:
195/50/16 works OK on the SE wheels, providing a noticeable overhang (and with it, protection). 185/50/16 is standard, but 185/55/16 should work just fine if you're looking for a bit more bounce and an accurate speedo.

Hmm, good point. 185/55R16 might be an even better option - more comfort due to 12mm extra sidewall, more accurate speedo due to 3.1% circumference increase over 185/50R16 (making actual 70mph occur at speedo 72mph), plus better economy and less noise due to its 10mm less width than a 195.

anyone tried the Capitol Eco 007's gonna get 4 new ones fitted this saturday, very good rating for fuel economy and wet grip. I aint no boy racer so no need for the pirellis p zeros! Will give you a round up of them after a few weeks.

There I was reading this thread for leisure the other day... Until a screw appeared in my front passenger side tyre.
Just wanted to second Frogy on the Halfords tip... They're pretty competetive on price, especially right now as there's a £5 off (per tyre) code going round. I'm off to get 3 new tyres on Friday.
I'd like to think that better tyres would improve my ride (currently 185/50/16) but I think investing in better suspension will be the only real way to improve things.
Btw, I've opted for Kumho tyres... Yep, they're budget ones. But with discounts and stuff, they're only gonna set me back £58 a piece. And at the moment, they're just going to have to do!

Hmm, good point. 185/55R16 might be an even better option - more comfort due to 12mm extra sidewall, more accurate speedo due to 3.1% circumference increase over 185/50R16 (making actual 70mph occur at speedo 72mph), plus better economy and less noise due to its 10mm less width than a 195.

The A2 is now running a full set of 185/55R16 Dunlop SP Fast Response. I've not noticed any improvement in comfort despite the extra air between me & the road. The speedo is now much more accurate, and displays just 1mph more than the GPS at all speeds. The tyre noise is much the same as with the Sunitrac Focus 9000s previously fitted - which is disappointing given the difference in cost. 2 of the removed Sunitracs have 5-6mm of tread remaining so if anyone wants them please let me know.

John

The A2 is now running a full set of 185/55R16 Dunlop SP Fast Response. I've not noticed any improvement in comfort despite the extra air between me & the road.

I've just had a set of these fitted and with Bilstein B6s and 30 mm lowering I immediately noticed a difference in comfort. Yes large/deep potholes are still a little teeth clenching but normal stuff is quite a nice ride compared to previous.

Haven't really tried their 'sporting' credentials yet and they do fill the arches a lot more than the 185/50s so I'm hoping they don't rub on a lowered setup.

Andy B

they do fill the arches a lot more than the 185/50s so I'm hoping they don't rub on a lowered setup.

I can't comment on that but they do fill the arches perfectly with the standard SE springs and Monroe dampers. My opinion of the tyres has improved since my previous post - I suspect my expectation of dramatically improved comfort were unrealistic. My soft old W124 Mercedes has 195/65R15 tyres and is much heavier so comparing the ride in that to the A2 really isn't fair.

John

Back