White bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

humps

A2OC Donor
I've just looked at PIAA's web site and found some e-marked H7 white bulbs

http://www.piaa.co.uk/bulbs/bulbshow.asp?ID=xtwhiteplus

These are supposed to be 'very white' near 4000K! I saw the HID conversion on the club website, but am not too keen on drilling my A2 to secure the relay. Does anyone know whether these bulbs are worth it? They are by no means cheap... and does e-mark mean its also legal in the UK?

Assuming piaa's products are same everywhere, i can get a pair of these xtreme white plus bulbs in 2 weeks time (when I visit the US) for around $70!! And I suppose that'll be ok too?

humps
1.4SE Cobalt Blue, Bose and leather

Humps, I wouldn't bother! The reports I've heard are not very encouraging, with a test in Autoexpress saying that they had to pay for their continued F1 sponsorship somehow!.
Better bet is the Eurodesignz H7. Get a pair on Ebay for about £6 plus postage (I paid about £12 all in). They are great bulbs and have that definite bluey-white light. The Japanese 6500K bulbs are good value at 99p on average, but they are obviously built dowm to a cost (the connectors are much thinner for instance).
Take a look at powerbulbs.com for some more ideas. I'm going to try a pair of Philips Blue Visions soon - let you know how I get on.

A2 TDI SE 2001 Ebony Black Pearl (The Little Tank!) Soon to be TDi 90 Sport with the full monty and red leather!

You can get away without drilling your A2 to mount the ballasts. I've used tie ups. I was aprehensive about drilling my car but having taken advice I've mounted the ballast units using tie ups without any problems at all.

The system I've got is the one sold by VAG Parts. I've replaced the side light bulbs with white led's which have a hint of blue to them. Next ones to upgrade will be some chrome effect indicator bulbs and replacements for the fog lights.

Shaf

1. Mar 2001 TDi 75 SE, Silver, black/grey interior, climate, winter pack.
2. Nov 2002 TDi 75 Sport, Silver,black/grey interior,climate.
3. Jun 2004 TDi 90 Sport, Silver, wrong interior (black/black), climate, front fogs.
4. Sep 2004 TDi 90 Sport, Silver, black/grey interior, climate, leather/alcantara, front fogs. HID Xenon's.

Thanks Skipton01, but I'm not so convinced about those bulbs anymore. My friend installed a pair of japanese bulbs, yes they are white, they have a blue-ish tint. But they look murky, cloudy and definitely doesn't look like those factory fit HIDs. The after market HID kit shown in the guide in the a2 club website shows very good effect, they are definitely HID look. May be you can show us a picture once you have the Philips installed? BTW good luck with your new TDi, I wish mine was black and with red leather too!

Shaf, I'm interested in your setup, what are the 'tie ups' you mentioned? are they just tapes fixing the ballasts in place?

humps
1.4SE Cobalt Blue, Bose and leather

Hi Humps,

The 'tie ups' are plastic strips, you feed one end through the other to make a loop and tie them around whatever. I've got two around the ballast and the strap shown in the fitting guide, the ballast units are fixed to the strap rather than stuck on to it. The ballast is very secure.
Hope that makes sense.

Shaf

3. Jun 2004 TDi 90 Sport, Silver, wrong interior (black/black), climate, front fogs.
4. Sep 2004 TDi 90 Sport, Silver, black/grey interior, climate, leather/alcantara, front fogs. HID Xenon's.

Only a week to go now (hopefully!) till new A2 time. Rest assured that once I get it, I'll post comparative photos of standard fit, Japanese cheapies, Eurodezigns and Philips Blue Visions. I'm still not sure that £300 is justifiable for slightly better performing headlamps though.[30]

A2 TDI SE 2001 Ebony Black Pearl (The Little Tank!) Soon to be TDi 90 Sport with the full monty and red leather!

Skipton01, I'm with you on the 'is £300 justifiable for better performing headlamps'....... lets just say I got mine for considerably less ;)

Shaf

Shaf, do tell![9]

Hi Skipton01
Nothing mysterious unfortunately, I just bought Jon.Od's kit when he sold his A2 earlier this summer.
[24]

Shaf

i'm going to see if i can create a complete kit with hella parts and some more engineering for bi-xenon - the real thing - for the A2 as a plug 'n' pray replacement kit. Xenon dips and main beams, the kit will have to include auto levelling and lens cleaning, and will probably look completely different from the present lights (i'm thinking about body colour surroundings). i will let you guys know when i have this sorted - it will be legal everywhere and i'll try and get it CE'd too.

in the mean time: philips vision plus and the osram silverstars are very highly regarded over here.

Bret

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
2002, Petrol 1.4, 17", sports suspension, OpenSky, leather / alcantara in iceblue
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Just ordered my Osram SilverStars and Orsram Cool Blues for comparison purposes today. I'll post some pictures when I get the time. Could be quite helpful, now that the nights are drawing in.[|)]

I'll looking forward to hear what you have to say about these Osram Silverstars. Do the Osram Cool Blues just use blue tinted glass or do they have a different gas? Would the tinted glass not reduce the amount of light getting through I wonder?

2004 1.4 TDi (90) SE, Cobalt Blue, Climate control, Cruise control, DIS, Sport seats, Winter pack, Symphony II.

The glass does look slightly tinted, but only very slightly (when compared to the Eurodezigns etc). Not fitted them yet, so can't say for certain whether the light output is any less, however, take a look at the pic below - it shows the three side by side[24]

b****r! Didn't post the pic did I?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back