Who has the largest mileage on their A2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elfenbein

How reliable has it been?

How expensive to run?

Examples of servicing and repair prices would be most interesting.

I drove a 1.6 Sport recently and am thinking of buying one. Would want to keep for many years. Any thoughts or advice much appreciated

Cheers

Elf

Your average and max fuel figures are uncannily similar to mine!
So is the 'box replacement.

The 74 was a pootle around Wiltshire and Wesr Berkshire with my mother 18 months ago. I dont think we got over 45 to 50 mph.
Motorways say 60 to 64 mpg.
Seems a long way from the advertised 50.4 Urban, 65.7 Combined and the 80.7 Extra Urban!
Interestingly our 'other car' is a 1999 1.5 Saxo Diesel with 80k on it and it is only used around town. It regularly delivers 52.4 mpg and although not a turbo, does not hang about. It is to be fair rather noisy when cold.
Interesting that most of us got (get) the Urban figure. If you live in a city (which I don't) does that mean sub-urban figures? (snigger) of less than 50 mpg?

64.000 mi, 65 mpg avg, 74 mpg max.
103.000 km, 4.3 l/100km avg, 3.8 l/100km best over a tankful

Werner Huysegoms

I have done 87500 miles in about 2 years(1.4 petrol). I am just about to replace at 90000 miles. It is still basically solid with the only interior issue of the paint flaking off the radio buttons. Other than that it is very durable.

Phil

Phil, just out interest, are you replacing it with another A2?

[img=left]http://www.a2forum.net/stuart.gif[/img=left]Stuart Diamond: A2OC Founder | Forum Administrator

2001 TDi SE: Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest | Front Centre Tray

New A2OC Website!

No, if I could get the A2 tdi with Air con I would but unfortunately due to our company car list the only option is the basic 1.4 petrol with no options. I will either get the Golf 1.6s which now has air con as standard, the toyota avensis T2 or the renault meganne 1.5dci dynamique which absurdly has the optional comfort pack added. The benefit of the renault is spec and MPG, it has a huge amount of options and does 62.5 MPG with a 60 litre tank it has the highest possible range of just about any car.

I am test driving the renault for a week nex week (renault must be desparate to sell) so I will update when I compare.

Bought mine in May last year with 4,000 miles; now it's up to 39,000m. Averaging 62-63mpg (improving all the time) and best ever achieved was 72mpg (still don't know why that tankful was so good!) One service so far (at 30,600) and next one now due (according to SI) at 62,500m. One set of front tyres 1500m ago; rears should last out another 10,000m, I reckon. I'm aiming to replace it next year at 70,000m - provided they're still in the showrooms!

2002 A2 1.4TDI SE
Pine green/beige

I have done about 65,000 miles since April 2001. Sadly I don't have loads of dosh and I have to say I don't particularly look forward to those years when I have to fork out for a new car. I am really glad someone has asked this question. I was directed to this forum by admin specifically because I asked them what mileage I can expect to get out of my car. I am not mechanically minded, but in the past with renaults and fords I have worked on the basis that you get about 100,000 miles out of a car. I am intrigued and hopeful to see if the A2 will last substantially longer than that. My theory is that being smallish and lighter due to the aluminium frame, there may be less strain on the engine and all parts than would apply to a steel car, and that this reduced strain due to lightness may lead to a much longer shelf life, like some motorbikes have. Picking figures out of the air, I would really like to plough on to 140,000 miles, 200,000 miles, to infinity and beyond. However I am told by my mechanic the engine is the same as a golf, so I have a nagging feeling it may just be the same as a lot of other cars.

75,000 in just over two years.
This is a company car so it will go back at 36mths.
By then it will have covered 100,000.
Two services so far plus 11 tyres, 3 due to punchers.
Had electric window switch replaced and rear window due to radio interference. Plus the dealer kindly fitted the new style window wiper during a service.
Replaced 3 headlight bulbs
Best is 72mpg average is 60mpg, 1.4 TDI SE.

11 tyres in 75000 miles!, mine did 40,000 before it needed fronts replacing then at 80000 replaced all 4. So 6 tyres 90000 miles but still have 30000 to go before the fronts need replacing again, 15in wheels though. Do you think bigger wheels wear down quicker?

Should not make any difference since the rolling radius for all A2 wheel sizes should be the same. Other issue is that lower profile are generally more sporting so probably softer compound and higher wear rate.

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control for SWMBO, Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 iCDTi for me.

Small point: the wheels may be smaller but the rolling circumference (with 'thinner'- ie lower profile- tyres on the bigger wheels) will be the same so the wheels will go round at the same rate at the same speed! If this wasn't so your speedo would be up the shute every time they or you changed the wheel specs.
My first 1.4 SE, bought at 44,000 and traded in with 73,000 on clock, against current 1.6 FSI Sport. Virtually no problems except new starter motor (dog clutch shaft wear) and an accelerator 'sensor' (?) while still under warrantee. One long-life service at 50,000m. Warrantee was extended for a further year just before I traded it, at a cost of £400 which struck me as pretty reasonable given I was likely to do another 30,000 in that following year. In the time I had it, I only had new front tyres due to irreparable punctures.(and four windscreens due to stones/Pheasant- see pics on forum site) Average MPG only 38 but most driving done in outside lane of motorway at XX speed. 1.6 FSI only seems to manage 34mpg used in same manner but discussion with Agent said that the electronic readout is sometimes highly inaccurate so will in future do test on top-up to top-up. And to sum up Its the modern oils that give you the longevity.

87,000 miles, only 3 services and 26,500 to go to the next one. Second tyres all round, plently of wear left. 60mpg. No sign of wear. This is a very economical car to run! I expect to be transferring it to my daughter sometime soon, and we'll still have it in the family at 200k miles!

Paul
1.4TDi, leather, Open Sky, BOSE, 6 CD, alu trim, cruise, DIS, etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back