window problems

karen

hi, has anyone had a problem with all their windows opening after pressing your key to open the doors ?

hi, has anyone had a problem with all their windows opening after pressing your key to open the doors ?

Hi,

If you hold the unlock button down the windows will open, it is a feature, not a fault.

Similarly holding down the lock button closes them.

VERY useful, especially in hot weather, as you approach the car hold down the unlock and it lets the heat out !!

"Removed the comment about the sunroof"

Steve B

Last edited:
OK, My mistake that must be me getting mixed up with the A1 I have, but I was pretty sure that it did it on the A2 too, I even think I saw a setting on VCDS that you could switch off the sunroof key opening?

But I must be wrong (I often am)

But the rest was right about the windows, hopefully that is all it was.

Steve B

The sunroof definitely can't be closed via the remote key fob press - unlike the windows it doesn't have an obstruction sensor so can't automatically stop/reverse if there's a child's head stuck in the way.

The sunroof definitely can't be closed via the remote key fob press - unlike the windows it doesn't have an obstruction sensor so can't automatically stop/reverse if there's a child's head stuck in the way.

I guess that it must be me imagining it, I will check my Daughter's A2 because I must be going senile if it doesn't work.

I keep forgetting that my memory is failing !!!!

Steve B

Last edited:
You can close the sunroof with the key in the driver's side door lock and holding it in the lock position for a few seconds - the thinking there is that you're standing by the car and can watch for heads/hands as it closes.

You can close the sunroof with the key in the driver's side door lock and holding it in the lock position for a few seconds - the thinking there is that you're standing by the car and can watch for heads/hands as it closes.

Yes
That is it.

I just hope the problem the OP was having was just the feature and not a problem

Steve B

I think there may be a problem with the key , I dont need to hold the button down they just go down by themselves after pressing the key to open. The problem has only started happening the past couple of days. Yesterday a high pitched alarm started going off in the boot but it stopped after a while . ... dont know whats going on....... karen

I think there may be a problem with the key , I dont need to hold the button down they just go down by themselves after pressing the key to open. The problem has only started happening the past couple of days. Yesterday a high pitched alarm started going off in the boot but it stopped after a while . ... dont know whats going on....... karen

In that case perhaps the key fob "buttons" are pressed in and sticking on.
So it is keeping the button on when you let go.

Do you have the other key fob? If so try that and I bet the windows won't come down.
If that is the case you can get the replacement pad (buttons) on eBay for a couple of pounds and they just prise out and push in.

Steve B

This is sounding more like a convenience system fault to me. It's likely to be CCCU related, but could also be due to a faulty door control module.
Karen, do the windows always go all the way down when the fault occurs?

Tom

Last edited:
yes the windows go right down. karen

Could it be the key fob button sticking down when you press it?
Does the fob look a bit worn and out of shape.
Have you tried the other key fob? That would indicate if it is the fob or the control unit

Steve B

yes the windows go right down. karen

Thank you - this would indeed suggest a fault within the convenience system.

Does the fault now occur every time you unlock the car, or is it somewhat sporadic?

What happens if you unlock the car by putting the key in the driver's door? Does that also cause the fault to occur? (Note that this should only unlock the driver's door itself, and will cause the alarm to go off within 15 seconds or so unless you then turn the key in the ignition)

Cheers,

Tom

yes it happens every time i open the doors, but saying that i dropped the key yesterday , i tried opening the doors pressing the button and the windows didnt go down so i tried it again and they didnt go down, i thought great, dropping the key must have helped . got back home tried it again after a couple of hours but the windows went down.........if i unlock the door by putting the key in the door the windows dont open but all the doors do . you can shut the windows using the key in the door as well.....i think its the key myself, it is looking a bit shabby . thanks, karen

Last edited:
yes it happens every time i open the doors, but saying that i dropped the key yesterday , i tried opening the doors pressing the button and the windows didnt go down so i tried it again and they didnt go down, i thought great, dropping the key must have helped . got back home tried it again after a couple of hours but the windows went down.........if i unlock the door by putting the key in the door the windows dont open but all the doors do . you can shut the windows using the key in the door as well.....i think its the key myself, it is looking a bit shabby . thanks, karen
Hi, yes I would bet it is the button sticking.

You can buy the new button panel for less than £2 on eBay. It is item number 271184747724

Just use a nail file or similar to prise the rubber off and then press the new one into place tightly.

That will resolve it.
Steve B

Karen, eliminate one component at a time.
If you have two keys, stop using the key you are using now and introduce the alternate key - that will prove if you have a key fault, which I doubt actually.
My feeling is that you have a convenience unit issue, they do occur more and more as our cars get older - suppose they are starting to go grey too?
Also, you may want to get the vehicle scanned for fault codes - this will identify with relative certainty where any issue may lie.

blue skies
tony

hi guys don't know if I am posting this correctly but am new :) issue at moment passenger side window is causing problems. Had window down tried to close it and it done a funny sideway turn and make a loud clunk sound, basically motor works but window won't close straight. I manage to get it shut with some sweat and tears, motor moves window but still issues with not closing straight and goes tight like its about to crack with a sound that makes you want to clench so hard thinking the window is about to smash. Will I need a new window regulator. Any help thanks

Last edited:
Hi zayan, welcome to the A2oc.

Some members haver found that using silicon spray on the window channels (even Mr Sheen furniture polish) reduces friction and helps the glass slide smoothly.

Cheers Spike

Yeah sounds like the window regulator may have snapped/broken which isn't uncommon on VAG cars. Best to get the door card off to check it and see if you can see where it's broke to make sure that it is a new regulator you need or if the glass has come off fixing etc.

Back