Windscreen replacement

Rob Earl

Past Member
Slightly miffed after getting the windscreen replaced last week (finally - it happened going to Castle Coombe last year)& after washing the car on Sat noticed several chips and a large gouge on the top of the nearside wing - obviously where the bonnet was off & they've bounced the new windscreen up the wing into position.

Had a chat with the manager at Autoglass & they've said fair enough - get a couple of quotes & we'll pay for the work.
Now we've just got the inconvienience of getting the quotes in.

POssibly one to watch out for when other people get their windscreens replaced.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a Merlot Red 1.4SE petrol originally.
Now an Ebony Black 1.4SE petrol with Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.
A2%20front%20side_small.jpg
Audi%20accident.gif
New%20A2%20front%20offside_small.jpg

I showed Autoglass how to do it, they were grateful, really. Wait till they have to do a front window for you, the whole door has to be dismantled!

hollyrescue said:
I showed Autoglass how to do it, they were grateful, really. Wait till they have to do a front window for you, the whole door has to be dismantled!

Amen to that. My advice would be DON'T let Autoglass replace front side windows, just get your Audi dealer to do it.

The passenger side window had the misfortune of being smashed by a stone flicked up by the council strimmer contractors. Luckily for me, they were kind enough to leave a note on the windscreen owning up to the accident so I could claim on their insurance.
Anyway, when I phoned Autoglass, I told them that I understood it was a pig of a job to do (since the first Autoglass guy who perspexed the window temporarily while I waited for the glass to come in) and that it was likely that they'd need to take the door apart. The guy on the phone said 'no, shouldn;t be a problem, we'll send out a guy who's done it before'.
Did the b*ggery.
The bloke who was sent out had never done one before - took him about 2 hours before he called me down to tell me he couldn't undo a couple of bolts holding the broken glass in place. So, me being a helpful sort of a customer offered to drive to my local Audi dealer (SG Smith, Wimbledon). They kindly unloosened the bolts whilst telling me that it was very likely the Autoglass guy was going to bodge it up.

Sure enough, when it was all installed and he called me down to sign on the dotted line, I noticed a horrible rattling of glass down inside the door! He'd reached the end of his skillsets long ago so I made sure it was noted on the sheet and promptly called Autoglass. To their credit, they did take responsibility, and let me book it into my local Audi garage, where they took it all apart, removed the door and turned it upside down to shake out the glass.

As great design goes, this is one area on our little car where form seems to have gone before function as the inner and out alu skins of the door are an ideal home for cubed safety glass.

Hope this tale of woe serves as a warning that if any of you encounter the same prob, that you book it into an Audi garage to do it or, at the very least an Autoglass workshop where they have the correct tools to safely remove and refit the door.

If it happened again to me, I'd just go straight to Audi.

Oh and congrats to those who've bought the site to keep it going. Haven't been in here for a good long while so thanks. Let me know if there's a newly branded sticker to be bought for my car, which is still going strong.

James

2001 A2 1.4 SE Petrol. Ebony Black, Bose, Leather, AC and electric windows all round.

I would agree that you can't get rid of the broken glass in the door, it sits in the bottom for ever. I suppose that's why Rob Earl turned his upside down, but taking it to an Audi dealer would have been simpler. You would probably have to pay at the dealer, then claim it back from insurance co., and it would no doubt cost cosiderably more.

Having had the Passat door trim off once to fix a rattle, could not be bothered to take it in to the dealer, its doors are similar - there is an inner skin rather than just a skeleton that you get on Fords. All VW gropup doors are probably the same construction.

CRB 1011. Turning the door upside down seems a good idea, but almost certainly more trouble than it's worth now everthing is back in place. If I turned it upside down there is nowhere for the glass to emerge, it would be Ok with a dismantled door. No, the broken glass stays until some other little scrote breaks in again, to steal precisely nothing. There are no valuables in the car,so don't break in, and I don't carry money since beer went up from one and fourpence a pint and I found it was my round.

Back