Windscreen washer reservoir

kwallace

Update. please see post at bottom of page

Hi folks. Before I had a new front bumper replaced on my 52 1.4 tdi A2 my washer fluid bottle used to fill right up to the top of the filler neck. Since getting the new bumper fitted ( minor parking bump!) it takes it's normal capacity of 2 litres then overflows out from the undertray at the passenger side. Audi garage who repaired the car said this was normal as the bottle has an overflow. Never pissed out on to my garage floor before that though. Should it fill right up to the neck and stay there as before or are they meant to overflow from the bottom. I suspect the dealer hasn't attached the filler hose properly to the bottle. Does everyones bottle overflow. Cant seem to access the reservoir from the engine bay.
Also, bonnet doesn't seem to align properly as there is a wee gap around the headlight seal on one side. Looked at some other A2's and some seem to have perfect seals on both lights and some are uneven like mine. Any thoughts.
Thanks in advance

Kev

Last edited:
you need to remove the wheelarch liner before you can get to the washer bottle; it should not leak from under the car.

Bret

Mine doesn't leak, it fills up to the filtering mesh.
You should have a talk with the people who worked on the car and get them to sort things out.

thanks for that folks. Will go down to Audi glasgow bodyshop and tear them off a strip on Tuesday. They told me to drop by and they will fix it while I wait, despite me telling them it's a bumper off job. Should be interesting to see what they do!

Hi guys. Quick update. Girlfriend took the car to Glasgow Audi and they said it is coming from the overflow pipe and that's what it's meant top do. They took the passenger side headlight off and showed her the overflow pipe and the water coming out of it when the bottle is overfilled. It is a small seperate tube that comes from the top of the bottle vertically and leads up to just under the headlight. They gave me a print out of the parts diagram and it is all as they say. No idea why it didn't leak before. I asked them to close the pipe off at the top but it still dribbles when overfilled. They seem to be quite genuine guys and showed my girfriend how it was working and even took a digital photograph. Good customer service from Glasgow Audi Bodyshop but a strange thing to start happening all of a sudden. Can anyone shed any light on why there is an overflow pipe fitted and why it didn't overflow before the prang. Very strange.
Thanks in advance
Kev

This sheds light on mine! Didn't use to leak, fill it to the top and then it started to leak. No idea why the overflow started working either.

No need to spend money now. Many thanks.

Neil

overflow

I suppose the obvious explanation would be some detergent residue or crud blocking the overflow pipe and it becoming dislodged at some point.

Back