Winter Tyres

FlyingScot

Hi all,

After much reading on this forum about wheels and tyres I finally decided to buy a new set of 15" alloys c/w winter tyres and have now fitted them to the car.

When I bought the A2 it came with a cheap set of 17" alloys and also a well used set of 17" Audi seven spokes. The cheap alloys had cheap tyres (Wanli) fitted and were terrible in the wet, pretty good fun in the dry though :D

The reason I went with the 15's was that I wanted to try and improve my fuel consumption and the terrible ride quality, worse than any car I've ever owned.

The tyres are Vredestein SnowTrac3's in 165/65 R15 81T and the wheels are Enzo W 6.0 x 15, they came with blue centres which match up nicely.

Fitting them has turmed my A2 in to a completely different car. It's now grips superbly in the wet, appears to use quite a lot less fuel (time will tell), is far more comfortable and the road noise has all but gone. When I hit deep water the car now just continues in a straight line without any feeling of getting dragged in to the water.

Once the winter is out the way I'll decide whether to stick a set of 185 tyres on the 15" wheels or get the Audi 17" wheels refurbished and try them with good quality tyres fitted.

All in all though, I'm really happy with the car now, well worth the expense.

:D:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 241
You won't go back to 17's.... even with the softest side wall the ride will always be compromised, ie rubbish! I have 2 sets of 15" wheels now for my sport for summer/winter.

Cool. I've just bough the SnowTrac 3s but not fitted them yet. Sounds promising FliyingScot. I must say that they are very light tyres. Should improve economy too. ;)

Hi Guys, I just purchased a set of pepperpots and in search for a set of 15" winter tyres, prepairing for a snowy winter. by the looks prices have jumped already and stock is very limited. Trying hard to find any in 165/65 R15. Where did you get your Snow Track 3's from, if you don't mind me asking.

Don't get too hung up on getting 165/65 tyres. Look at the definitive tyre thread on the forum and shop around all the tyres which work on 15" rims on an A2.

Thank you for a quick response guys, working on it.... I was hoping to get a set of 4 for about two hundred pounds, will see.

Last edited:
I got Blizzacks in 165 from my tyres
also trying Goodyearultragrips on the polo bluemotion in 175 but on a 14" rim

Bloody Hell !! That's the site I got mine from 2 weeks ago and they cost me £62 per tyre. The price has more than doubled in a fortnight !! Am I glad I bought mine when I did !!! Phew !!

And have you seen the snowfall they've been getting on the Eastern Seaboard of the US? When they get big weather, it usually makes its way over here within a week or so...

Back