Winter warmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Anybody retro-fitted the Winter pack (heated mirrors / washer jets) to their vehicle or is it only a factory fit option? As I obtained an ex-demo spec. A2 my choice was limited, and this was one of the things I would have liked. I am assuming I would have to change the mirror glass (for ones with a rear heating element), and likewise for the washer jets, but hope that the existing wiring looms will do the job? Any info. appreciated.

Tino
Dolphin Grey 1.4 SE

When we bought our A2 we took it from UK stock and we wanted the winter pack. We managed to get a car with it on, but the dealer said that if we couldnt find one then they could retro-fit heated door mirrors, but not the washer jets. Apparently the wiring is all in place in the door mirrors.

The question really is why on earth do Audi UK not put heated door mirrors on as standard !!!

- Alex

A2 1.6 FSE SE

Ahhhh, interesting......wonder if my dealer would compensate me by fitting these to my A2 (as no other form of compensation has been fortcoming). As well as a cost price CD changer.....

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

Don't the heated door mirrors work off the heated rear window switch anyway?. Just asking as what rspecial says would make sense-the wiring is there, just not the heating elements in the mirrors.

Just run my ever-helpful Audi dealer (not a sarcastic comment - they're ace) and they tell me that they can retro-fit the heated mirrors. With morning temps here at the weekend down to -5 deg C, think I too shall be pursuing this addition.

Thanks for the replies ... I'll ask about prices this week and let you know. Removing the mirrors off their sticky backing is a pain (I've done it before to replace a cracked mirror on another car), and you usually end up breaking them. No doubt A2 mirrors are worth a small fortune, especially the heated ones.

Tino
Dolphin Grey 1.4 SE

Might be irrelevant, but my brother recently bought new heated glass for his VW Golf 1.8T, and it cost over £100 for one side!

MartinW

True-may be worth trying breakers and such like.....

But I bet your Audi garage wouldn't want to fit anything other than new supplied by them!

quote:Originally posted by runboy

Don't the heated door mirrors work off the heated rear window switch anyway?. Just asking as what rspecial says would make sense-the wiring is there, just not the heating elements in the mirrors.

They told me that the mirrors don't always switch on with the rearwindow. The temperature has to be below a certain (unknown) treshold for the mirrors to start heating.

But when I needed them they never failed me, I've never noticed the mirrors not heating when they were wet/damp/icey....

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Something I wondered as well, I was told that the mirrors would automatically heat up when it gets below a certain temp? I only noticed them working when I put the heated rear window on.

Anyways, the do halp a lot, with misting up and even rain. Especially when reversing, as I tend to rely on mirrors more than out of the back cos you cant see much!

2003 A2 1.4 SE in Cobalt blue, black interior, Climate Control, Winter Pack

Anyone tried to fit heated mirrors.
Looks like they may release from below the housing via plastic click housing.
Unwilling to try for fear of breaking.
Any prices yet for heated mirrors yet?

mw

Where is the build-in intelligense (below a certain (unknown) treshold for the mirrors to start heating)for the mirrors to start heating??
Is the intelligense buil-in the mirrors or in the central computer. This could make it very difficult (and expensive) to retrofit heated mirrors??

Where is the heater located to the washer jets? Does anyone know that?

Jesper Lindholdt
Audi A2 TDI 3l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back