Wiper arm replacement

LordTJC

The wiper arm on my 2001 TDI has worn out (the blocky bit at the end almost touches the glass), resulting in a cracked windscreen after someone left a note under the wiper.

I don't want to spend over £100 on a brand new arm, and used ones might have the same issue. I have read about the later 'aero' wiper arms. Will one of these be a straight swap from my existing wiper arm? Will these also wear out and cause problems?

Tim

Ive swapped mine for the same reason - although it only scored my windscreen. What did the note say -‘I’m breaking your screen’?

The earlier wiper arm can be repaired to reduce the play quite easily. I used rivnuts and washers and it worked great for a couple of years.

I decided to get the aero wiper arm because it seemed to apply pressure more evenly. You unbolt the old arm (you need to stop it mid- wipe), wiggle or pull off the ends, put the new arm on, tighten bolts and you are done. Someone did a picture guide so worth having a look.

Mine was second hand so I gave it a little gloss black spray first. Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the later arms wear out and cause the same issues. I have had to replace 3 windscreens. One lost to a speed bump and two to MOT testers.

Back