Wiper arm touching windscreen?

mrbroons

On cleaning the A2 this evening (quick wash before a detail this weakend) I noticed that the two lugs on the underneath of the wiper arm are touching the screen, can this be fixed?

Hi I had the same problem on one of my tdi's I simply tweaked the arm a bit with gentle force it didn't touch any longer. Was the aero type by the way, mine had actually scratched the screen cause the rubber lugs had worn out, I'm getting a new screen soon so it's all good

Some people have reported that their windscreen has been shattered by the wiper arm making contact with the glass when the rubber lugs had come off. So make sure the lugs are still good...

Sorry should have said that it was the aero wiper. Can someone take a photo of the underside of an aero wiper where it attaches to the blade as I have never seen one before now, so I'm not sure what a good one looks like.

Ifran, can you tell me which bit you tweaked? Sounds like a good temp fix.

MrBroons.

sorry for jumping in Ifran - but note you arent online :)

This is an easy fix; even I can do it!! hold the section where it attaches to the wiper blade and twist this gently outwards (away from the glass if it was in the housed position) then resit the wiper on the window and check there is a few mm of clearance after your artful manipulation - if not; repeat the process.

You will note a wee hole on the wiper arm at this section where a rubber grommet used to live. its common for these to come out; hence the scraped/broken windows that are sometimes experienced.

A little blob of silicone here works a treat; just ensure there isnt too much as it will smear the glass. you can cut a bit away when the silicone is set ( or safer to chuck it away and apply a smaller 'blob'

Much cheaper than a new arm - I dont think you can buy the grommet seperately although I suppose you could try and find one that fits the hole. Hope this helps. M

WOW, a referral!!
Thanks Murdo!

Easy fix on the missing rubber stopper. On the pics that Murdo refers to, check out the last pic, I used super glue to attach two rubber grommets to the underside to prevent the wiper from touching the screen. Equally well, you can use rubber feet/pads found on smaller consumer devices such as aclock radio. Best to have some sort of padding to prevent scratches and possible screen breakage as reprorted by other members.

blue skies
Tony

e478cae1.jpg

This is mine. The rubber stop is original.

Last edited:
Good point well made, here is a photo of the offending item, as you can see, there is a little difference between chb's and the one I am looking at!

Thanks Hotstuff, will take a look tomorrow for a suitable donor for the fix!

aero-wiper.jpg

I can only assume that there's too much play in those rivets after the rubbers have worn/deteriorated a bit....?

Tom

Thanks Craig, as it's not my car I didn't want to "adjust to failure" the wiper, but I'll give it a go later today and report back, I'll give the thing a little clean up also with some sand paper and paint as it looks tatty and I don't do tatty ;-)

I replaced the windscreen on A2OC member d4v1d sm4rt's car. He had a similar issue and I managed to get around the problem by taking the play out of the assembly by the two rivets. I used two thin bits of rubber and wedged them in where there was play. A wee trim and you can't even see them (and the wiper arm clears the screen quite comfortably).

Back