wiper control switch

ok this is a weird one.. couldn't find anything in the search

Sometimes the wiper controls just fail to work.. you pull or move the lever in any position and nothing happens... the DIS2 controls continue to work and the washers squirt the window with no problems...

Then they just work with no issues when you start to drive off.. from that point they work as expected but intermittantly they controls will stop working again..

I am guessing it is just a loose connection somewhere and am self diagnosing but wanted to see if this is a known issue... the fact the when it starts to work there are no issues at all tells me something is sticking..

.,... now I am writing this I am also thinking failing relay....

Hmmm.. thoughts???

semi convinced it is the relay... it is almost as if the relay sticks and then after a few minutes starts to work again...

Now the big question.. where is the relay??.. I have read some posts that say it is on the passenger side.. some say it is under the carpet and others say in the dash footwell.. when I look under the glovebox there is nothing visible.. do I need to pull off the cowling?.. if so then it this a simple 'yank' and off or is there something else I need to do first..

Thanks

It's almost certainly the relay - seen this a few times in recent months.

To change the relay, lift the carpet in the passenger footwell (UK right hand drives) and then lift the aluminium cover plate.

The relay is the big one, nearest the engine. Marked 602 (from memory!), just pull it up and out, then replace with the new one - it can only go in one way.

Cheers,

Mike

perfect.. thanks.. I was almost at the point of pulling the panels off the bottom off the dash but something was telling me to stop..

I found a 602 on ebay for about £10 so think I will order this and swap out.. the fact that when it works it is flawless and it just struggles sometimes at start tells me the relay is losing power and the contacts are not pulling properly

Will take a look tomorrow in the light

Thanks for the confirmation

now this is an interesting one (for me anyways)... opened the case to swap the relay and found the one installed was a 603 and not a 602, the only difference I could see was that it had more pins that the 2 version.

Let me try to keep this short.. when I test drove the car a few weeks ago there was a crack in the screen so this was replaced on the same day as the MOT before I picked it up...

... reading the manual I see there is an option for the wipers to work according to the rain and roadspeed... is there a chance that the new screen is missing something and now this option is futzed??... the symptom was repeatable..

engine off, switch on wipers - no issues on any setting
start engine, wipers would not work (washers would)
leave for a minute as you drive away and they would start working 100%
switch them off or play with the delay setting they would stop again for a long while and eventually start working again

I installed the new relay and everything is working with no issues at all so am ok for now but want to know if I need to get something fixed to get the full cream service working again??

The 603 relay supercedes the 602 version and is used on many Audi models without rain sensing wipers. A2 wipers have a variable intermitent feature but the car was never offered with rain sensing wipers.

Cheers Spike

then I will leave the 602 in place and be happy.. at least the wife will stop nagging about the polterghuist that stops her seeing where she is going at random time

cheers

then I will leave the 602 in place and be happy.. at least the wife will stop nagging about the polterghuist that stops her seeing where she is going at random time

cheers

That's what I would do. I suspect Audi changed to the 603 version for no other reason than rationalising the relay options in their parts system.

Cheers Spike

seem to be working 100% with no issue now so I can confirm your theory.... wipers are fully functional and not ramdomly stopping

Back