Wiper judder AND tapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

booboo

Am I the only one whose windscreen wiper not only judders but often make a loud tapping noise at reasonable speed (50mph+) as the wiper gets buffetted against the glass? Not only is this disconcerting but I am sure that sooner or later the tapping sound will become a cracking sound instead!

John - 2003 1.4 SE TDI Red, Black interior,

I know the older model A2's have judder problems but the new floppy wiper on my 03 modell isnt so great either!
I am more concerned with the wiper "lifting" then the metal part of it smacking against the screen at speed. I noticed the clearance between the metal of the wiper and the screen is tiny and wondered whether this was normal or maybe my wiper arm is faulty.

The fact that no one else has encountered quite this problem led me to investigate further. It turned out my wiper had twisted leaving the bottom arm too close to the windscreen. Using good old fashioned brute force I shaped it back as well as I could and hey presto, no judder and no tapping on the screen. Not sure how it got bent in the first place, it does seem very robust. maybe a large moggie thought it a comfortable perch to nap on.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back