Wiper not strong enough for snow!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johann

This morning got into my car... Half the windscreen was covered in snow... though I should have known it was ice and not soft snow!!! Grrr... Gave wiper one flick and it did not move!!! Oh dear! Got out, removed ice and felt that the wiper was now quite loose and that the bolt probably was now not as tight as it should be! It still wiped though, so I thought I'd attend to it later...

BUT when I reached the M23 and at about 50mph I wanted to wash-wipe the salt away and the wiper went all the way past the A-pillar and just got stuck there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh dear! So I had to drive down the M23 with the wiper stuck in this position! Thankfully not too much salt. When I stopped at Gatwick I moved it down, but bolt was completely loose now so the motor still went (thnakfully) but not the wiper.

Thankfully I was taking a friend's car in to be serviced at a private mechanic in Crawley. So I asked him if he could just tighten the bolt... after I picked him up from the floor for taking the bonnet off for him he did it in 2 secs and all was well again! Phew... I was scared I had blown the windscreen motor! hehehe

He told a story of a female driver being stuck on the side of the road once in the rain with no wipers... and all see needed was to tighten this same bolt as well and be on her merry way... but she sat there all night!!!

Now how many (non A2OC) female (or male) A2 drivers know how to take their bonnet off to get to this bolt? Somehow I wonder how many people would have been stuck on the side of the road too... moral of the story: tell everyone regularly driving the car how to do it and more importantly carry a socket set/spanner that fits the wiper bolt!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

My wife would call me and then I would tell her to call roadside assistance!

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

My wiper had the same problem, only difference being it was 5:30 am, pitch black and I was in the outside lane of the M20 travelling at 70mph with rain torrenting down. I never had the right spanner either so had to call the AA. I think people should maybe check their wipers for "play" as this might be more than just coincidence.

Talking about wipers and bolts: does anyone know if these 'bolts' allow you to adjust the angle at which the actual blade is set, with respect to the windscreen?
Because I think my blade is not set correctly (=probably around 90 degree angle), causing it to judder on every upward wiping motion. The noise irritates the hell out of me, but I'm too lazy to go to my dealer.
Any way to adjust this myself, with bolts or brute bending force?

(edit: I, of course, have the floppy wiper version)

Many thanks, Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp) and on it's way to Germany to be chiptuned by ABT, finally!

Dont think the wipers are adjustable by the Nuts , however, my wiper juddered because the nuts were coming loose, just before it failed in fact so do check them.

Is there any way to adjust the angle of the windscreenWashers? Mine just make a lot of mess and don't actually "soap-up" the windscreen, they just make a lot of foam at the bottom of the wipers. AND i've had to refill the washerFlud 2 times the last 2 weeks, so there must be something wrong here.[2]

By the way, there isn't any leakage.

--
Bigshow

1,4Tdi SE

@booboo and shezlee: thanks, I'll look into that.

@bigshow: the windscreen washers are a problem on any model A2. The later (2003) models have a different 'jet' and they actually produce two solid streams instead of a wide spray. That helps a bit. There are topics on this forum about the new washer jets. Look for those.

I have these 2003 model jets, and they can be adjusted by inserting something like a safety pin or needle into the nozzle. They can be rotated in any direction (it's a sphere in a socket, so to speak). They will resist at first, make a breaking sound, and then they move freely.
But aiming is very tough. Too low and the end up beneath the wipers. Too high and they fly over the roof or only skim across the windscreen. The margin between the two is very small and hard to find if you're on your own. Get someone in the car and let them spray for you. Make sure you stay clear of the wipers when you ask for that!

I think the earlier 'spray' models should be adjustable in about the same way. Most cars can, AFAIK. So find a sturdy needle, one that won't break off.

Good luck.

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp) and on its merry way to Germany, ABT, to be chiptuned, finally!

Ours is a 51/02, we have the spray type and all you need to do is lift them (they only move up or down) there is a big enough bar across them to help so no pins.

One thing I would say is that if you get it right when parked they might be too low when driving...

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Build 11/01, Dolphin Grey
50% Brighter Bulbs : Audi 6 CD Changer : Rear drinks holder : Floppy Wiper : Centre Tray : Elasticated Belt System : Chrome Numberplate Surround : A3 Transmission Nets : Heated Mirrors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back