Wipers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robinson

Is it me, or is the Wiper on the A2 too powerful - to the extent that the car rocks slightly from side to side? Not that i'm complaining mind...

The wiper has caused endless discussions on the forum. Most of the discussions are based around noise caused by 'wrong' design wiper. 2003 model year cars now have a improved design, however I think the wiper power is still the same. I think Clarkson actually mentioned this movement during operating the wiper on one of the latest TOP GEAR programs. :)

Kaine

----------------------------------------------------------
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie

Yes the wiper does rock the car but this is a cute characteristic rather than a problem.

1.4SE petrol in Merlot Red, Biege interior, 16" 5 spoke alloys, DIS, Open Sky, Elec rear windows.

Rob,

I agree!!

The new wiper (floppy) does lessen the rock effect a lot. But not all 2003 models has it fitted-only 2003 models after a certain build were fitted as standard, even though Audi said ALL 2003 models will have the new wiper. So Audi messed up there and if your 2003 doesn't have the floppy wiper you go back to the dealer and tell him to put one on NOW!.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

How easy is it to fit the new wipper ?

Do you know the cost invovled ?

2002 TDI SE - Silver - Open Sky System

I think most people who have had the new wiper fitted in place of the older design have been fortunate enough to have knowledgeable and helpful Audi dealers who were willing to change the wiper free of charge and without any moaning ([:eek:)]), so cost has not entered the equation.

1.4SE petrol in Merlot Red, Biege interior, 16" 5 spoke alloys, DIS, Open Sky, Elec rear windows.

Can only speak for my German Dealer, but a retro-fit of the new wiper would come to about 60 Euros (most of the costs are for parts). It isn't much of a deal, as all you need it the complete Wiperarm of the new design. Then unscrew the old arm and fit the new one.

A2 1.4TDI Silver, CC, Blaupunkt Hamburg CD70, still fairly standard :(

Blade is about £9 if i remember right and the arm £27 ish. Its on an archived post somewhere.

icon_smile_cool.gif

My Audi dealer said you have to replace the whole motor etc when I wanted to get the newer blade system... so I just ended up buying a new blade... grrr...

2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

I have also a 1.4 benzine from 2000. Is it fit? the new one i meen?
Is he expensive? how deer is a new one in england?
Please let me know. I have big problems with it.
[email protected]

quote:Originally posted by Kaine

The wiper has caused endless discussions on the forum. Most of the discussions are based around noise caused by 'wrong' design wiper. 2003 model year cars now have a improved design, however I think the wiper power is still the same. I think Clarkson actually mentioned this movement during operating the wiper on one of the latest TOP GEAR programs. :)

Kaine

yes

I have also a 1.4 benzine from 2000. Is it fit? the new one i meen?
Is he expensive? how deer is a new one in england?
Please let me know. I have big problems with it.
[email protected]

quote:Originally posted by Kaine

Kaine

yes

The only reason for adopting the floppy wiper as far as I am concerned is that it is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter in 'the cruise' that the original design, which being of the school of design that brought us the Eiffel Tower and the Forth Rail Bridge was incredibly LOUD in the wind rush department. I think it was a 'govvy' job by a BMW designer as I have found their make to sufer a lot of wind noise at speed - and not just from flatulent passengers.

icon_smile_cool.gif

I have just been to my dealer. He did not know that there was a new wiper and said the only solution was a new blade (to prevent judder etc.)but that when the part was ordered I would automatically get a replacement for the old blade not the new one. I had to take him outside to show him the difference in the 2 types, he was amazed!!! I seem to be stuck, biut will ring Audi customer services.

How old is your A2 Hollyrescue? If you have a newer A2 (Mid 2002 on) you should be able to procure a new wiper as this is what the car should have been fitted as standard.

My A2 is the first, so I was told, of the 2002 build supplied end of 01. I have now rung customers services who tell me they do not know of a wiper change, and no problems have been reported with wipers. To be fair though, they are investigating and have promised to ring back

Rob Earl, just to complete the picture.
1.4 E in Island green metallic, winter pack,open sky,electric rear windows,DIS, electric lumbar support,pearl nappa leather, heated front seats, acoustic parking system (so good I retro fitted one on my Volvo).

I think you may be just before the changeover to the new style wiper, so you may not have much luck.

Prices have been quoted (£60 springs to mind) on previous threads regarding this issue.

Sounds like a very nice, loaded A2 you have there. Don't think I've seen one in that colour.

Hollyrescue

I brought the wiper matter to the attention of my dealer when I took delivery of my 2003 model A2 and found it was the old style. They informed me that the changeover happened during the 2003 model life, and low chasis number 2003 model A2's will have the old wiper style.

This flies 100% against Audi's own advertising blurb that states 2003 model A2's have the revised wiper. End of story.

Afraid you could have a challenge on your hands if yours is a 2002 model-officially not built with the revised wiper, but then they must have revised the wiper for a reason (wind noise and car shake when the wiper is sweeping side to side) so I would go in for the kill on those matters. If the revised wiper helps with these then they should fit it and recoup the cost from Audi directly. Good luck anyway!.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back