XTL renewable diesel

Filled up today with standard diesel at the JET garage at Catterick Garrison, 150.9p per litre. Also for sale was XTL renewable diesel at 160.9p per litre. Anyone know anything about it? A quick google - on one forum it was suggested that it might not be suitable for older diesel engines.
Thanks everyone
Trevor

VW claim all diesel engines are compatible with the 7% biodiesel.

HVO is 100% biodiesel and is not compatible with the pd engine. To run the 30% biodiesel the car had to have been built to accept it and this was long after the A2 production run

HVO is 100% biodiesel and is not compatible with the pd engine. To run the 30% biodiesel the car had to have been built to accept it and this was long after the A2 production run
Is it to do with lubricity?
Just interested.
Mac

I would stay away from XTL because it's a mixture of plants based oils chemically processed into diesel. It's nothing good for your 20 years old engine. It doesn't burn as good as a proper diesel and leave unburned deposits everywhere.

I have, and still do most of the time, been using HVO100 (XTL) for my Citroen C5 1.6HDI 2007 since like 2019 without any negative effects. And been using it rather frequently in my A2 1.2TDI since I bought my first (was that in 2020?).
It is not available all over Sweden and has been like 4SEK more expensive in some periods but I often use it in four cars.
Is it a real risk using it for engines where the manufacturer hasnt approved it? Not according to the main provider Neste at least.

I have, and still do most of the time, been using HVO100 (XTL) for my Citroen C5 1.6HDI 2007 since like 2019 without any negative effects. And been using it rather frequently in my A2 1.2TDI since I bought my first (was that in 2020?).
It is not available all over Sweden and has been like 4SEK more expensive in some periods but I often use it in four cars.
Is it a real risk using it for engines where the manufacturer hasnt approved it? Not according to the main provider Neste at least.
That would be interesting to see what Audi would say about this. I think modern diesel engines are better build to accommodate bio fuels
I have the same approach for this plants based diesel as the plants based petrol E10 with 10% added bio ethanol . My 25 years old motorcycle carb and all the fuel lines don't do well with ethanol. I rather use premium high octane petrol.

The good thing related to fuel lines in 1.2TDI is that this model is from start approved by Audi to use the RME fuel, which to my understanding is even more aggressive than ethanol and HVO100.

I think the main issue with all the non normal diesels are not the ethanol itself but sulphur or lack of it. That's the main reason why they developed them in first place basicaly to lower the emissions and the best way to do it is by lowering sulphur. The issue with low sulphur in diesel means less lubrication, less energy density (less mpg) also increased risk of corrosion in some parts. Adding two stroke oil here and there helps add that missing sulphur back into the system which might be beneficial for longevity of the engine and especialy injectors.

Actually at least the fuel manufacturers claim HVO is not a biodiesel, but this might be a confusion of the terms. Some interesting reading available here:

Its seems it is being rolled out in Germany very soon.
1000009511.jpg

Back