Yet another cam belt thread

shreddedmeat

Hi all,

I've been lurking the forums the past few days while looking for an A2, so I'm well aware I'm covering old territory here! I'd like to get a definitive answer to my predicament though-

Just bought a 2003 A2 1.4 petrol Sport on a 52 plate, has covered only 64,000 or so miles. Seller was asking £3400 which I thought was a touch high but in keeping with what else I had seen. It was the milage that really attracted me!

Car has FSH, mostly Audi. Was last serviced in January and MOTd earlier this month. Cambelt hasn't been changed though and this was my worry; I used it to knock the seller down to £3175 before I shook. He told me a garage had quoted 80,000 miles when he enquired about getting the cam belt replaced at 50k so he just hadn't bothered - even though the apparently service manual says 60,000 or five years.

So I've heard in terms of replacement the limit is either:

1 - no need to replace until 80,000
2 - 60,000 miles or 5 years
3 - 5 years with no milage limit

Unless the first is true, the car looks to be overdue. Can anyone tell me which is correct? Much appreciated!

Ooh, this thread had more posts on it before the crash!
In summary - 5 years, OR 60k miles, which ever occurs first. Rubber perishes over time regardless of whether it's had miles put through it or not.
On that basis, your car should be coming up for its 3rd cambelt, not its 2nd!

Back