Your ideal tdi 90: best spec, best mods?

Shoestring7

Hi Folks,

I've been looking around for a daily driver, and have tried various 'hot' hatches. None have been very satisfactory for various reasons (its another thread but crazy DBW throttle maps, feel-free steering and harsh suspension on big wheels really doesn't add up to a great drive no matter how many bhp you have) and I find I'm back looking at A2's - I've had a tdi and a fsi in the past.

My budget's pretty decent, good enough for a nice tdi 90 and some mods. I was thinking of a decent suspension set up (FSD's?), and chip (Stealth) and an ipod compatible audio as a starting point.

Any other mods suggested? I want to keep it subtle, so no body kits or wheels thanks!

Main objectives are good to drive, decent turn of speed/economy, handling + good ride, comfortable driving environment.

thanks

SS7

If you have the budget, FSD is a must. I find 16" on 195 profile tyres give acceptable ride quality combined with standard springs and FSD, I don't want it any harder. I would get a set of properly light weight 15"/16" wheels and good rubber. Look doesn't even come into the equation.

Larger brake upgrade will increase rotational unsprung weight. Unless you find them lacking the desired braking force (I didn't, not even on track), I wouldn't go spend the money. But getting better discs and pads of the same size may well be a cheap and cheerful upgrade.

PS I'm no fan of dead cow on car seats; hot in summer, cold in winter, slippery all year 'round!

This 90 SE would be a very good blank canvas for some tasteful mods like HID's, a remap, suspension, Bose - the list goes on. ;) I have added this car previously to the spotted forum, and its the best value 90 I have seen in a long while. Alcantara interior as well, so you have the best of both worlds :D

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2004&vehicleRegLetter=02

Last edited:
i would highly recomend the Alcantara, I have it on my TDi sport and didn't realise how rare an option it is. The only problem is mine has worn badly on the lower backrest ( like that when I bought it) which can probably be dealt with by an upholsterer.

i would highly recomend the Alcantara, I have it on my TDi sport and didn't realise how rare an option it is. The only problem is mine has worn badly on the lower backrest ( like that when I bought it) which can probably be dealt with by an upholsterer.

I couldn't agree more Adrain, if the Alcantara hadn't been the perforated variety I'd have spec'd it on the A3. I think that could be problematic with kids :eek: Has the worn the lower backrest gone all 'bobbly'? You could try one of those fuzz away things to remove the worn stuff. :)

Yes it has murdo, thanks will try that! For clarification the Alcantara option on the A2 has leather bolsters and trim and alcantara on the centre panels. I had alcantara on a ZT-T a few years ago and am sold on it! i have not seen the perforated variety and can understand the potential issues.

I like the Sport seats mine are cloth though :p
3 spoke steering wheels are nicer than a 4 IMOH.
DIS is ok but not the end of the world if you dont have it.

Murdo had a link somewhere to a car with Leather / alacantra would be ok in the winter if heated and chilled in the summer with Climate.

i think Front spots are a waste of time,just more glass to get smashed

Better put me flame suit on.:D

Murdo had a link somewhere to a car with Leather / alacantra would be ok in the winter if heated and chilled in the summer with Climate.

That ones sold now. Knew it wouldnt stick around long! :)

Front spots are a waste of time,just more glass to get smashed

Better put me flame suit on :D

No flame suit needed pal! Its the great thing about personal taste and choice or we'd all be driving around in the same car! :eek:
I like the look of the front fogs, but I wouldnt go to the expense of retro fitting the wiring. My 'dummy' fogs are the beez neez (just as an opposing view :p) LOL!

I always used to retro fit fogs lately I have just figured out how often I use them and its not enough to justify the price.
The Corrados you cant even turn them on as the heat cracks the glass thats without the worries of stone chips.

"Ah Mr Shoestring, we meet again!"

Methinks we have followed each other from 968, thro Cayman, and now onto A2's. We must be on to something! :D

The best advice so far on this thread has been to buy on condition rather than spec. That's what I did and my 75bhp late model "Special Edition" TDi is a fabulous wee car.

Welcome to the A2 world.

"Ah Mr Shoestring, we meet again!"

Methinks we have followed each other from 968, thro Cayman, and now onto A2's. We must be on to something! :D

The best advice so far on this thread has been to buy on condition rather than spec. That's what I did and my 75bhp late model "Special Edition" TDi is a fabulous wee car.

Welcome to the A2 world.

Hi John,

But I beat you to it; I owned my first A2 tdi in 2002, then more recently a Fsi (with endless fsi related problems) and am now looking to complete the set!

I understand the 'Sport' chassis challenges, but I like the Sport seats and wheel, and as I'd look to Koni the suspension a tdi 90 Sport would make the best sense, even if an Audi approved one at £10k doesn't!!

SS7

Back