Audi TT Competition 17s - Weight?

KneesUp

A2OC Donor
Does anyone know how much TT Comp wheels weigh? Apparently they are 'heavy', but so are all the standard Audi wheels. Question is... how heavy is 'heavy'...?:confused:

I think the "Comps" are the forged type and they weigh about 9.8 Kg each or 21.5 lbs. Some of the other cast 7.5 x 17 TT alloys weigh in at up to 13.2 Kgs each !!

As a comparison, the standard 6 x 16 A2 6 spoke SE wheels weigh about 8.5 Kg each or thereabouts.

HTH

Cheers,

Thank you, Lee. That's interesting, if a bit depressing.

I'd hoped the Comps would justify their existence by being (a lot) lighter than that, although there's clearly a lot of magnesium to them.

Schnelletrecker informed me that the Sport A2 17s weigh 10.5kg each so I'm surprised the SE 6-spoke jobbies weigh so much less... Interesting.

I'm very keen to reduce unsprung weight and had opted for eye-wateringly expensive 7J OZ Ultraleggeras at 6.94kgs each. I was hoping the Competition TTs would be the inexpensive alternative, but opting for those appears to take me wholly in the wrong direction.

It's a shame a wheel weight list doesn't exist somewhere because this info is really key for anyone wanting to have an A2 that handles optimally well. Every kilo on your wheels is genuinely discernible and a few kilos makes a massive difference.

Having said that, it appears we are beginning an unofficial 'Wheel Weight List' here... Anyone got anything else to contribute, I wonder?

Last edited:
My dilemma precisely. I have bought some superlight Magline forged 10 spokes which weigh in at 6.9Kg each at 7 x 17 to replace the staggeringly heavy (but pretty) Speedlines I have now.

As for the list.... Here is one.

http://www.wheelweights.net/

I don't know how accurate it is or how old it is, but I guess it is somewhere in the ball park. As for the weight of the 6 spokes, well I weighed mine last week before selling them.

A standard SE 6 spoke with 195 45 16 Uniroyal weighed in at 16 Kg, the tyre alone was 7.5 Kg ish and the wheel was 8.5 Kg ish.

The TT Speedline with 215 40 17 Toyo weighed in at 21 Kg each !!!

I am hoping that the Toyo will weigh in at about 8 or 9 Kg which would mean the Speedline wheel is between 12 - 13 Kg. With the Maglines and Toyos that should add up to about 15 or 16 Kg. Thats about the same as the original 16s or slightly less hopefully. I will be happy if I can get the 7 x 17 with 215s down to the same as the 6 x 16 with 195s.

Next time I will get the 205 Toyos and lose a little more weight. It really is apparent in the braking, acceleration and steering AND the fuel economy (in that order).

I will post more accurate weights of the Toyos when I finally get round to fitting them to the new wheels.

Cheers,

Last edited:
An excellent post, Lee. And I agree with all that you say. At least those bits I'm 'qualified' to comment on! And there's no arguing with weighing a wheel yourself! Fancy 6-spoke 16s being pretty well the best you can get from Audi. And they're comfy!

And interesting what you say about 215/17s on 7Js. For me, that has to be as wide as you should go on a 7J, if you want to keep any good steering feel (hardly Audi's strong point). Over-tyring a rim loses so much steering feel, whatever the grip or comfort or rim-protection gains.

Your Speedline story doesn't surprise. I had Speedlines on my Alfa 155 Sportpack and they were soft and heavy, even if they looked great. Interestingly, I experimented with tyre widths on that car and found that increasing from 215s to 225s on the 7J rims destroyed the steering feel (a particularly sensitive feature on the car, which normally had wondrous steering feel). It illustrated the problem perfectly. I ended up running the wider tyres at the back and narrower ones at the front. Yokohamas in that case.

I'm really keen to get a proper figure for the Comp TTs though. Really want to buy some! Anyone fancy weighing one...?

I can just comment on the weight of the TT 7.5Jx17 6-spokes cast alloys : the carrier that brought them to me weighted the 4 wheels packed (with some cardboard and bubble wrap) at 54kg : that confirms the weight of 13.2 kg per wheel quoted by Lee S.
Noob question : are the "competition" the 5 spokes type also called "parabols" ?

...I'm very keen to reduce unsprung weight and had opted for eye-wateringly expensive 7J OZ Ultraleggeras at 6.94kgs each. ...

Me too, have been looking at the Ultraleggeras. Every gram counts with my low torque petrol engine! They are very light but have had no reports on strength. I'm hoping a light A2 won't do much damage to it. The best price I've seen for these wheels at 16" is about £600 a set without tyres. At 17", it seems to be about £50 cheaper. My totally unproven calculation tells me I'm looking at equivalent of 28kg weight advantage on the 16" ultras!

Expensive, yes, take comfort knowing these are not as bad as those TE37s ;-)

OZ wheels are very strong. Like Maglines. But super-costly for it. But Humps, what's come out of this exercise, in view of Lee's insights into the weight of 16" 6-spoke SE wheels, is that you'd be hard-pressed to do better than those 16" 6-spoke wheels anyway, at least for half-sensible money. This is perhaps contrary to Schnelltrecker's info - if I understood him correctly - that the 6-spoke wheels are 'heavy' which is why I questioned the weight. But Lee has actually weighed one...

The wheel-tyre combination on 195 16 6-spokes is 16kg a unit. By comparison Ultraleggeras and Maglines, albeit and crucially on 215 rubber, are only weighing in at about 1kg each less. 1.6kg less in the case of your desired 16" Ultras, perhaps over 2kgs total if you run 195 or 205 tyres. That's not much for the near £1000 outlay! As much as 215 rubber has obvious performance advantages 195 gives the A2 character and feel and, in my view, is just fine. At least with up to 100bhp.

The fact remains that most people buy alloys for vanity reasons and compromise the ride and handling of their cars (relatively speaking) in the process. Especially when going to 18". People who have 17"TT wheel and tyres combos on A2s are lugging around an incredible 21.7kgs a unit, more if on 225 treads... That's where the Comp TT (Parabols) seem relatively light at 18.3kgs, tyred on 215s.

I've been round the houses on this, and will now be sticking with my 6-spoke 16s and 195 tyres.

IMPORTANT NOTE: all these weights (tyres and wheels) are 'to the best of my recently accrued and variable-quality knowledge'. And Lee's 6-spoke weights are pivotal to the whole argument! No doubt others will have differing views...!

Yep... Read it and weep guys... All of these OE 17" cast Audi TT wheels are really heavy. Not too much of problem if you want them for their looks and/or solid sturdiness, but if you want performance, then best to stick with the standards or some super-light equivalents. All IMHO of course. YMMV.

Cheers,

OZ wheels are very strong. Like Maglines. But super-costly for it. But Humps, what's come out of this exercise, in view of Lee's insights into the weight of 16" 6-spoke SE wheels, is that you'd be hard-pressed to do better than those 16" 6-spoke wheels anyway, at least for half-sensible money. ...

You're right, for some reason, I remembered the wrong weight of the Ultraleggeras in 16" and so my previously calculation was totally incorrect. I must have been dreaming they were 5kg each! So at best, I'm looking at less than -2kg each corner, keeping my tyres (195/50 T1-R). Which is at best ~15kg advantage (weight x2 incl. inertia saving). These wheels do look quite smart though :) so when I have the spare cash, I might. But now I'm glad I wasn't tempted by 17" replicas and bigger brakes when I had the chance!

What is the weight of the standard forged 15" and tire?
I have a 15" Passat steel wheel and tire I can weigh to get a rough idea of an A2 steel and hubcap.

Ouch....I have just put the TT comps 17" 'fat Fives' on the A2....did not realise the 3lb difference in weight compared to the 16" SE 6 spoke i took off it.
but then, they are bigger and more wheel.....and they look nice :)

Luckily we dont to too much mileage in it.
Or race it ;)

Last edited:
7.5J IIRC.

But the TT Forged wheels (ie, the Comps) are around the 9.8-10Kg mark and the 6 Spokes are around 6.5Kg, so did you mean a 3Kg difference and not 3lb difference?

Cheers,

Last edited:
Back