Anyone fitted the 1.2tdi aero bits yet?.....

true-blue

And if so has it made any real-world difference mpg wise ?

Also does lowering improve mpg?, only my wife's touran is a bluemotion and it sits a fair bit lower than the non-bluemotion tourans :confused:

I've partially done the work, spoiler and arch winglets and I did notice around 2-3mpg better.

Once I get Tank back on the road, I intend to get the full smooth underside completed and see if that makes things even better.

Cheers,

Mike

I fitted the under body spoiler and centre tunnel cover. I also changed from Michelin to Pirelli P6 tyres at the same time and the fuel economy was worse. If you do the mods, don't make the same mistake and change too many things at once.
Extracts from an article on the 1.2 tdi development suggest a 10% reduction in aerodynamic drag gives a 2% fuel saving and a 10% weight saving gives a 5% fuel saving.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
I have noticed all Bluemotion, Econetic, etc variants by different manufacturers are all lowered. My a2 is on FSD/Weitec's so is lowered about 15mm, can't say i detected any improvement in economy and that is not why i did it.

Not yet but I have the parts on order from Audi (front arch winglets, tunnel cover and underbody spoiler) and I would like to do a custom rear bumper gap panel too at some point. Will let you know how I get on.

I'd still love a longer 5th gear too...

Interestingly though, none of the underbody aero tweaks are actually shown in the photo!

Nice find though Spike - can't wait to get Tank back and start shrouding!

Cheers,

Mike

Low drag mods

Tyres, tyres and don't forget the tyres................

My 1.2 TDI winter Continentals vs summer Bridgestones sees at least 6mpg delta. Bridgestones are the 1.2 TDI model specific low rolling resistance 145/80 x 14 tyres on magnesium (yes MAGNESIUM) 4.5 j rims, covered with smooth plastic trims. Totally boring to look at and with limited cornering grip - offset by good ride, low unsprung weight and great mpg.

The other thing to do of course is take off as much weight as possible. First empty the boot .......If you've got a rear bench seat, look to see if you can fit the 1.2 TDI honeycomb equivalent - I seem to remember there's something like a 30kg saving for functionally identical items.

Many other parts of the 1.2 TDI are lightweight, not just rear seat and road wheels. Most are however model unique and not interchangeable, such as forged light alloy front suspension parts, light alloy shock absorbers, light alloy rear brake assemblies, light alloy engine block etc etc.

CD issues.

Underbody is fully shrouded. Transverse underfloor 'spoiler' on my car, immediately to rear of engine bay, is often knocked adrift - tie wraps more effective than OEM pop plastic pins. Other item to note is that front and rear wheel arch sections are also model specific - narrower and deeper to reduce gaps to tyre edge, and hence turbulent airflow.

Ciao,

Erling

i always though it was just the engine and wheels that made the 1.2 unique but is seems there is much more to it. where do you guys get the 1.2 parts from then? wouldnt mind a set of wheels to start with and the lightweight rear seat would be nice too.

So, what PDC are the wheels on the 1.2? I'll give you a clue: it's the same as on the others, but the number of bolts is different. Have you seen the prices they command? (try German Ebay)

Partnumbers are in another thread. I'd have to look for the seat ones.

Bret

I bought the aero mod items about 2 months ago and fitted the spoilers to the front wheel arches almost immediately. The tunnel cover and center lateral spoiler were fitted this week when the 70k service was done. Job is fairly straight forward but i had the benefit of working on a hoisted vehicle and the drilling of the subframe was not so bad - just pushed the exhaust to one side! I used riv-nuts and bolts to secure it in place and can remove it if ever required.
I'm going to monitor the fuel consumption now, but fear that numbers wont be very representative especially as the fuel fired heater will be doing its thing in the early morning cold. Still, 3 tankfull averages should give an indication and i will post some figures.

So, what PDC are the wheels on the 1.2? I'll give you a clue: it's the same as on the others, but the number of bolts is different. Have you seen the prices they command? (try German Ebay)

Partnumbers are in another thread. I'd have to look for the seat ones.

Bret

Wheels are identical to those on a Lupo 3L, which might make them easier to find (in Germany!).

RAB

yep, the number of lupos now going for scrap is pretty high. Still, they were more expensive than 17s last time I looked....
ah yes, there's a post from a 90PS TDI owner, too.

Auf meinen normalen Arbeitsweg komme ich jetzt auf
2,7 Liter bei entsprechenden Einzelfahrten und
Ausentemp größer als 5C°.
Hatte ich bis jetzt noch nie erreichen können.
Es ist aber noch der geschloßene Kühllufteinlass mit dabei und
dazu kommt der wechsel auf die 155 WR
mit 2,9Bar (Sommerreifen165 auch mit 2,9 Bar).
Mit den Sommerreifen kam ich bei meinen 20km Einzelfahrten
minimalst auf 2,9L im Sommer!

the numbers mean more, I think. He also has some changes to the cool air intake. Is 103mpg really acceptable?

Bret

Last edited:
A2 1.2 TDI differences

There are many more differences than meet the eye.

I would NOT recommend changing to the 14 inch Magnesium rims. For a start your brake calipers will be too big. The PCD is 4 not 5 and even the Lupo 3L wheels are slightly different offset (ET number).

The engine is ALL Alloy and weighs just 100kg.

Whilst The Spoiler and undertray can have a slight effect above 60 mph I don't think you will realise more than 3 % improvement in MPG.

Better to buy a 1.2 TDI and import into UK.

All the best

Lukas,

The wheel offset is the same for both the 1.2 and the 3L. Otherwise I agree with you.

RAB

yep, the number of lupos now going for scrap is pretty high.
Bret

Not sure why. Our two 3L's have been the most reliable cars we have ever owned. Both even have their original batteries - one eight and the other ten years old! Although the hydraulics are expensive to replace if they do go wrong.

Wish my A2 1.2 was as reliable - looks like I have to replace the hydraulic pump. Same car really mechanically, just that the A2 has too many superfluous electrical items, e.g. low oil sensor. Would not be necessary if it had a half decent dipstick. Audi - just use VW dipsticks!

RAB

Thanks to Humps for helping me fit my aero bits today. Front lip spoilers and tunnel cover went on easily and quickly. Subframe spoiler ended up defeating us though - could only drill two holes, the middle one wasn't possible as didn't have angled bit, and then we realised we'd drilled the two holes too high anyway. Doh! Oh well, can come back to that another time.

Anyway a few pictures - these two mods are extremely easy to fit.

One thing though, the exhaust is now rattling a little when you come off the throttle at, say, 40mph, and also a little at idle. Is there any easy way of preventing this? New exhaust bushes perhaps, or some metal washers in the threads of the tunnel cover fixings to bring it down a bit?

Attachments

• under.jpg
    under.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 675
lol, nice to be in the picture as well! The drilling is definitely tricky with just axel stands but I'm more concerned about the plastic fixings, they didn't feel secure. May be next time you take the car in for a service, ask the garage nicely to lift it up and properly install the spoiler!

hi humps those plastic screw/rivets are next to useless IMHO. i took one look and thought there must be a bit missing.i used a tap and made threads in my beam and bolted the spoiler on. on thinking i reckon that the 1.2tdi may have holes to accept those plastic bolt/rivets added in the manufacturing stage.
dan b the rattle can be cured if just pull the alloy cover down slightly away from the exhaust pipe.
cheers mike

Back