Monroe Reflex shock absorbers

nuttinnew

A2OC Donor
http://www.taeu.com/monroe/reflex.htm

What do you think?

They seem to be of a similar idea to FSDs.

I'm getting some today, if there's anyone near Kent I'd be interested in them comparing.

I'll let you know how I find them although initial impressions are bound to be good because one of the standards has leaked (a Monroe from the factory) and so back-back comparisons will be a bit distorted.

Some great typos in that web page, I hope their engineering is better than their proofing!

Stabilises teh car faster by respoding instantly to the smallest motion
Provides more stability as proven by indipendent tests

What do you think?

I'm getting some today, if there's anyone near Kent I'd be interested in them comparing.

I'll let you know how I find them although initial impressions are bound to be good because one of the standards has leaked (a Monroe from the factory) and so back-back comparisons will be a bit distorted.

I agree, they do sound similar to FSD's.
As Monroe are an Audi supplier they will have all the development data so its possible the damping characteristics may be better matched to the A2 instead of the Polo /A2 compromise Koni use.
Not sure if anyone bothers anymore but Konis are rebuildable (Unlikely the Monroes are) so lifetime costs could be cheaper

Cheers Spike

What do you think?

I hope it is at least better than the OE, wasn't the A2's OE dampers made by Monroe? A quick google tells me a lot of links for (Ford) trucks!

Why is the ride on the a2 so bad, i have fsd's and it is still really bumpy i assume the torsion beam has something to do with it!

Chris

Monroe reflex

Nuttinnew, any news on the Monroe reflex yet?
At least they appear to be cheaper than the FSD's.
Cheers, Gumbold

I've only got the rears on at the moment, time and now weather has been against me getting the fronts on.

They were bound to feel better than the old ones because one had leaked and indeed they are but I have been surprised at how flat they ride and how consistent they have felt when laden and unladen; they were fitted the day before I went to Le Mans with two passengers and the rear footwell & boot very full plus a large coolbox on the other side of the back seat, there wasn't any floating or wallowing yet no harshness either.

Hopefully I'll be able to get the fronts on soon and I'll report back then. I have high expectations on the overall result based on how the rears feel, high enough that I'm ordering a set for my father's Passat:)

The fronts went on yesterday:)
Like the rears they felt rigid/brittle at first but have started bedding in (if that's the correct phrase) which has taken the edge off.
They're undoubtedly firm but not crashy, first impressions are good with the car staying flat on the motorway and the braking being much improved even though the original dampers were not completely shot :)

Operator error when fitting though, I didn't measure the before-and-after ride heights :eek: It looks level enough though, the sill seems parallel to the road.

They work very well on the rear of my father's B5.5 estate (fronts to go one once he's back from holiday).

I'm quite optimistic for the final result with a few miles under them although someone would have to compare them to their FSDs for perspective :)

I found them purely by chance on ebay when looking for rear shocks. The part number was given in the advert so I Googled that and found more info.
I'll post a link up to the catalogue tomorrow:)

Here you go; http://www.taec.nl/monroe/

I've got E4998 fronts and E1309 rears.

Alas I forgot to measure ride heights before & after though I did compare the dampers and can confirm the rears are the same length as the original factory fitted Monroes.

After finding a standard measurement to compare to last night of 35cm arch>wheel centre front & rear I measured mine today;

36cm front, 35cm rear.

It seems they have a similar effect to FSDs (perhaps not surprisingly...) so I looked into Sport springs for the front;
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14391 .

The nose-up probably explains the lower than expected mpg recently...oh well, I'll take the back seats out for a while to even it up :eek:

When I fitted the FSD's on my 'sport' i also did the usual -30 Weitec alround. later i changed the rears to SE stock springs with a better ride height and ride quality.

Have you still got your Sport fronts? I'm happy enough with the back (albeit with slightly stiffer SE springs soon) I'd just like to get the front down again.

Unfortunately i left them at Awesome..... i have very limited storage space. I have the Weitec -30 rears available should anyone want to try them.

Back