Heated Seats with Audi Switches?

RatchRoyal

Past Member
Yes I have used the search lol!

My newly purchased A2 Sport with leather / electric Lumbar is going into the trim shop to have heater elements fitted (if they're not already there?).

I'd like to wire the elements to Audi Rheostat thumb wheel switches - what are my options?

Buy any switch from any Audi and make my own loom?

Can I by a climate unit with the switches installed already?

Much appreciated.

I'd like to wire the elements to Audi Rheostat thumb wheel switches - what are my options?

Essentially, yes; read the following (I know it's in German, but you'll see the magic numbers including the NTC)

http://www.leibbrands.de/Sitzheizung_nachruesten.pdf
No point, there's another insert for the dash with the seat heater switches to the side of the pocket.

Bret

Yes I have used the search lol!

My newly purchased A2 Sport with leather / electric Lumbar is going into the trim shop to have heater elements fitted (if they're not already there?).

Much appreciated.
How much is the re trim and fitting of the elements costing? Is your trim shop supplying the elements as well? I've been considering doing something similar. Cheers Rob.

No point, there's another insert for the dash with the seat heater switches to the side of the pocket.

Bret

Sorry, can you clarify? What does this insert look like and where does it go in a double din dash that has no space? Where is it available from?

How much is the re trim and fitting of the elements costing? Is your trim shop supplying the elements as well? I've been considering doing something similar. Cheers Rob.

My trim shop are supplying the elements yes. I've retrofitted heating to many BMWs before through them. They charge about £200-£250 to supply and fit the elements - but they won't do OEM custom looms. The kit they use comes with it's own loom and 3-setting switches but whilst not ugly I'd want to go OEM.

It's all hi-quality German kit.

if you've got double-din, then you need a new climate control element. Have fun looking for one, as they're rare. Other alternatives include losing the ashtray.

Bret

no, as it's from an A3 (not an A4.....). You need an A2 unit. Part numbers for an A2 start generally with 8z; there are some exceptions but not many.

The Climate control box for a Single-DIN dash has square corners at the bottom, like this one (note the price - it was bought new and they've knocked 20% off the new price) http://cgi.ebay.de/Audi-A2-Klimabedienteil-/230596879001?pt=Autoteile_Zubehör&hash=item35b0a52299. The one you need if you have double-DIN has rounded corners at the bottom and they're not that easy to come by.

Bret

If you find one climate unit to fit under a single DIN stereo, you can file round the lower square corners to obtain a unit for double-DIN.
The best is to source a defective climate unit, of course cheap, and you transfer then your working components onto the new panel. This is just a matter on (un)screwing a bunch of small Torx screws.

There also another solution that's even cheaper : you can make the "H" holes yourself into your actual aircon panel (in order to let the rotary switches protrude from behind), because, if I'm not mistaken, all aircon panels have the empty places to slot in those switches.
You will only miss the little white heated seat symbols

Last edited:
Okay cheers guys. I think 450 EURO is a bit steep but worth having a whole spare unit for when the buttons fade - which they WILL lol.

I can't see anyone paying that for them...

If you look in the other heated seat thread and see what erstens did. He put heated seat switches in the handbrake storage tray. It looks completely standard in my opinion and is much easy than messing around with the climate control unit, therefore a lot cheaper.

Who is doing the retrimming?

Ratch

Sorry if I missed it but who are you using for the re-trim and what sort of price are they quoting? I have part-leather sports seats but the alcantara panels are in need of replacement. Would be great to see quality of work once completed

j

when i did my heated seats i used this breakers in germany /www.lrp-autorecycling.de it was bit hassle useing google translate with the e-mails but i payed 120 euros for the climate panel with heated seat switchs. then sold my climate panel ( in very good condition) for £95 on e-bay so cost me about a £10. try using this part number when you search 8Z0820043

Ratch

Sorry if I missed it but who are you using for the re-trim and what sort of price are they quoting? I have part-leather sports seats but the alcantara panels are in need of replacement. Would be great to see quality of work once completed

j

www.b-trim.co.uk They are probably the finest trimmers in the UK. They have done 3 or 4 BMWs for me and do Dealer trims for Aston, BMW, Porsche etc etc. They are in Enfield, North London.

A pair of front seats in Leather will be about £500 so Alcantara inserts plus heating elements would be £400 ish?

I've just bought what seems to be an proper Audi A2 heated Seat Loom for £40. This look right for plug and play?

5531298657_37a3531db1_o.png

if the temperature coefficients of the regulation pots built into the mats are correct, then yes. However, since they're not original, they won't be, so I'd suggest reading the PDF linked to in #2 to get the correct numbers for specific temperatures.

Bret

There are no pots in the mats.

They are carbon elements set into a fabric pad with 3 wires coming out - 12V+, Earth and CanBUS / Control wire.

A heat pad / element is totally passive and it's heat will be controlled by the voltage applied - in this case, an OEm Audi A2 set up.

So if you want the original switches to work correctly, you'll need the 47k resistor and 10k NTC spec'd in the first page of the linked PDF. Without those, it will not and cannot work correctly with the Audi switches, as the information about how warm it is won't be correctly visible to the switch.

Bret

Back