Gearbox Oil

MichST4

Hi All,

I've had my A2 for about 4 years now and knocking on 85,000 miles and was wondering about the possibility/viability of changing the gearbox oil. I routinely change the engine oil at 10,000 mile intervals (between services),but have often thought of the g/box. All the staff that I've asked at my local Audi dealership have said that it's a sealed unit, but is it? And where would the filler and drain plugs be if it isn't?
I don't know if there is any differance but mine is a 2002 1.4 TDI SE

Ta for any help

Mich

Hi Mich
I think it is a good idea but the Dealer may be right. There is a filler / level plug on the side of the gearbox but I can't see any method of draining the oil. The only other possibility is to suck out the oil with a vacuum pump - with a bit of luck you may get 80 to 90% of the old stuff out. If you get this far, replenish with genuine Audi gearbox oil. There are other synthetic oils on the market but they have different properties and can affect the gearchange.
Total capacity is 2 Lit.
Have you also thought about changing the coolant. Again, Audi don't seem to recommend it but the anti-corrosion additives must deplete over the years so it is definitely worthwhile.
Let us know how you get on

Correction - As Ben indicated in the mail below, there is a drain plug shown in the shop manual. This applies to the 02J gearbox in TDi's and the 02T version in petrol engined cars. (Thanks Ben)

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
The workshop manual shows an oil drain plug - it's at the bottom below the filler plug. You'll need a fancy spanner socket for the plugs though.

Ben

Hi bba

Audi don't specify a gearbox oil change in their service schedules. The benefits are marginal but the oil will oxidise and absorb moisture over the years and loose some of its properties. It more of a preventative measure but certainly worth considering if you plan to keep the car a long time.

Cheers Spike

ben said:
The workshop manual shows an oil drain plug - it's at the bottom below the filler plug. You'll need a fancy spanner socket for the plugs though.

Ben

Hi All,

Many thanks for your thoughts and input - Ben, what w/shop manual? I've never seen one available. I take it that it is an Audi dealer publication?

Mich

Anyone interested in draining / replacing the gearbox oil, the drain plug is hidden under the bottom engine 'pendulum' support which is bolted to the bottom of the gearbox. (just found it while preparing for a cambelt change)
This applies to the tdi gearbox. Petrol engined cars could be different.

Cheers Spike

spike said:
Anyone interested in draining / replacing the gearbox oil, the drain plug is hidden under the bottom engine 'pendulum' support which is bolted to the bottom of the gearbox. (just found it while preparing for a cambelt change)
This applies to the tdi gearbox. Petrol engined cars could be different.

Cheers Spike

Yes sir, you are correct. Just changed the transmission oil. Just remove the undertray, the support you mention and unscrew the drain plug. It was tight around the filler hole though. I had to use a hose. About 1,5-1,6 liters of oil is required when doing an oil change.

Sir, the oil in question was Mobil Mobilube 1 SHC 75W-90
and it was about £13 per bottle (2 needed).

Since I did my 2nd transmission oil change yesterday here's more info on the parts involved. Assuming the undertray is off, the drain plug is hidden under the pendulum support which you need a standard 16 mm and a 17 mm socket to remove. For the filler and drain plug which seem to be identical, you need a special 17 mm bit socket. In attached picture the filler plug hole edge (the hole is facing the front of the car) can be seen just to right of the cover with the two blue screws. Be sure you got a hose ready for the filler plug since it's to tight to fill from the bottle directly.

Last edited:
Nice post Xiter :) I looked at chainging the oil yesterday but couldn't see a drain plug; so this is very useful. My A2 has now done 92,000 miles and I dont believe that the gearbox oil has evev been changed. For info to other forum users; Opie Oil sell "Castrol TAF-X SAE 75W-90 API:GL4 VW501 50" if you cant find it localy.

Cheers.

Phil H

Thanx, be sure you got a hose ready for the filler plug since it's too tight to fill from the bottle directly. (Previus post edited)

Last edited:
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I just wanted to add something:

Be sure to undo the filler plug before the drain plug. Because if you undo the drain first, empty the gearbox oil, but then shear off the filler, you're left with a gearbox empty of oil but no means to refill.

I did this job on my wife's Smart car, where the oil is refilled until full. Is this the same as the A2, or is there a specific quantity needed?

Thanks.

No need to apologize resurrecting an old thread, I do it all the time. :) You simply fill it until oil comes out from the filler plug hole. And as already mentioned earlier in this thread it needs approx 1,5-1,6 liters until this happens.

Last edited:
I'm going to be changing the gearbox oil soon and have been told that the originally specified G50 SAE 75W90 fully synthetic oil has been superseded a couple of times and that the correct oil is now (VAG part no) G 060 726 A2. I bought 2 litres, but as it was only about £5 per litre I'm a bit concerned it might not be synthetic. Unfortunately the bottles don't have any specification data on them. I've searched and found this subject discussed on other forums, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much info out there on the spec of this G60 oil.

Anyone know if this is the right stuff? Car is a 1.4TDi BHC engine with the standard 5 speed GPK gearbox.

I never found the answer to my question on the spec of the G60 oil. I figured it must be right as that's what Audi specified when given the car's details.

I changed the oil today. I had to buy a 17mm drain plug key from Halfords after wasting time trying an old drain plug multi-tool, which kept "camming" out.

Thanks to the people who pointed out where the drain plug was earlier in this thread. I'll add that the 3x 16mm bolts that attach the pendulum support to the gearbox should be torqued to 50Nm.

I had a brief drive in it afterwards, and the change did feel slicker. Let's see what Mrs K says.

Back