Fix your Anti roll bar for £5!

d4v1d sm4rt

A2OC Donor
Pleased to report the fittment of V6Q0411 314N (or sometimes listed as (R) cured my anti roll bar knock a treat. Just cut off the old hard plastic bushes and find a way to ensure the ARB doesnt migrate sideways, (I used 2 Koni plastic washers to abut to the new bushes and a couple of Jubilee chips on the bar itself. The part number listed has a 18.5mm hole in the centre which means you can use your existing ARB without the expence of a new £60 bar or the time consuming inconvenience of having to drop the subframe. I hope this saves you all much money and hassle. I couldnt see the point of the powerflex items as they were 7 times the price and had to be made to order (!) The car is bliss now! It took about an hour to do and was relatively easy. Got the bushes from my local VW dealer who had them in stock. I would also say that an 18.5mm bar would be more likely to be stiffer that the replacement 16mm one that is supplied for later applications also, therefore limiting roll in corners.

Sounds good! Only wish I had some mechanical skills, but because I haven't I had to shell out £160 for new bar and bushes... :(

was this really not known here?

it requires a 13mm spanner / socket, some time, some WD40 and two jacks (wheel change one and another).
- raise the car, losing the wheel on the way
- use the second jack to raise the wheel back up so that the spring is tensioned once more and the ARB / coupling rod (the one that looks like a cartoon bone) is loose
- WD-40 the bolts holding the ARB to the subframe
- undo one at a time
- lose the plastic shells
- replace with the new rubber ones, you WILL need some lubricant
- tighten

that's it, should take 1-2h per side.

There are more pics over on the German forum, here: http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=23382

Pics attached.
from the left: undoing
the probable reason for the klong
the state of a plastic wotsit.

If you need translations, shout :)

Bret

Last edited:
Reactions: Tsu
Hi Bret,

any chance you could add the photo's from the German site into this thread as I am not a member of the German club and cant see the photo's...thanks.

you don't have to be a club member, but the pics aren't visible and I don't know why.

I will add them in here.

Bret

i didnt use any lubricant and they went on fine,
obviously think about the petroleum parts of the WD40 attacking the rubber...
the new ones had a bit of mold releasant on them which is like a white powder so maybe that helps...

there was a discussion in the office after I did this and the general consensus was that stuff from Ann Summers also has its place in the garage as it simply won't attack tyres, bushings or similar.

but that's another story ;)

Bret

Back