Someone vandalised my wing mirror

Lamby

A2OC Donor
I'm fairly new to this site and I have to say I love it! Mike (Skipton01) and the other season contributors have lots of really useful posts! Anyway this morning I was getting ready for work and the misses pops her head back in the door to tell me some one has ripped our wing mirror off. Fantastic News, I really look forward to the day I meet someone tampering with my or anyone else's car as I am a fairly large fella and I would so love to explain to them why they are never to touch a car again with a fair amount of physical instruction. Sorry I am still angry and I digress, back to the point. The idiot has not broken the casing but the bracket that holds the wing mirror unit to the car. It's the black unpainted bit between door and wing mirror unit. What I need is the bracket, is it possible just to by this? If so where? and if someone can tell me how to replace or remove the wing mirror unit that would just be brilliant. Many thanks Lamby.

Sorry to hear of your troubles - it would be great to see a little education being carried out!

Fortunately, the removal of the broken mirror stem isn't too tricky - you need to remove the door card (3 x T25 bolts, 2 under the armrest and 1 behind the tweeter grille) and then pull out the black trim that covers the large (T40) bolt that secures the mirror in place.

I don't have access to the parts system at the moment, but will get back to you this evening with prices.

There are some complete units available on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A2-8Z-Au...14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

However, it might be cheaper to just replace the bit you need.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike - I have bought a unit from ebay (cost me £73 for a entire mirror unit) and I plan to fit this at the weekend. I guess I can say that I was lucky (of sorts) as it was just the stem that was broken and the motor and colour coded casing survived.

Great news that the removal and fitting is easy as even down in London it's freezing cold and the last thing I want to be doing in the cold is fiddling around trying to figure out how to remove the mirror. I know it's been snowing in your neck of the woods but I am a soft southerner!

I understand that you may have for sale a service manual cd for the a2, if thats the case can I purchase one from you? If you pm me with your address and amount I will send you a cheque.

Thank you so much for your help, This site has been invaluable since I found it.

You've done well then, as the bracket is only available with the motor and comes in at £86 from Audi.

I no longer have anything to do with workshop manuals, but I've attached a photo showing the component parts of the door.

You literally remove the 3 screws and yank off the door card, starting at the bottom. Then, prise off the cover by the mirror bracket and remove the foam bung behind it. Undo the T40 screw and undo the electrics, then swap over the mirror parts and replace everything as you removed it.

The mirror casing is held on by 2 screws underneath and 3 screws behind the glass (if there's any left!).

Cheers,

Mike

AudiA2wingmirrorguide.pdf

Hi Mike - The wing mirror unit turned up and it's perfect, I disassembled the wing mirror unit (as I do not need the glass or the case) and I thought it might be an idea to post a guide on how to do it, its fairly easy and took me 30mins to do, although I have never done this before I can do it in 5 minutes now.

Now I need to go and fit the mirror to the door, so I am off to do that, I will try and do a step by step guide of this as well. Cheers.

http://www.dotlamb.com/audi/AudiA2wingmirrorguide.pdf

Some swine has had a go at my mirror too! :eek:
(why would anyone be mean to an A2?)

Unfortunately I was parked away from my house so did not see or notice anything earlier.

I saw that the passenger wing mirror had been folder forward, then that the mirror glass was gone, I don't know it this was done for 'kicks' or if someone deliberately stole the mirror glass as it wasn't lying on the pavement or in the gutter.

The painted cover is cracked at the front and back, and it looks like someone stuck a blade or something at the front where the painted part meets the black section.

I'm therefore after a new mirror and cover... ebay seems the best shot, there's a breakers yard with one going for £65.00.
Are there any other avenues to check out first?

Many thanks chaps

sorry to hear the incidents, both of you. This happens too often and everywhere in the country. I bet you weren't the only victim and I put my money on the drunk idiots walking home from the pub... happened on my street, lucky mine is parked on the drive.

Thanks for the details chaps.

One other question, I thought that I had heated mirrors, I recall a frosty morning and using the defrost button for the rear screen and the mirrors seemed to clear also... I think.

However with the recently broken/missing mirror I can't see any wires that would attach to the mirror, could these have been ripped out along with the mirror - anyway of checking?

The wires are built into every A2, so they should be there.

It's just that majority weren't supplied with the actual heated glasses.

Hmm, that sounds ok but I can't see any wires. I fear that they were ripped out along with the mirror itself –*guess I can say goodbye to a heated mirror from now on. :(

When I recently installed a heated mirror glass I found the cables very well tucked away in the top corner of the mirror (side closest to the door). Might be worth having a last gander back there to check they aren't hidden away.If they are, this would of course mean you've never had them!

When they're installed you can turn on the switch for the the rear window then and press your hand against the mirror to feel the heat - might be worth trying this with your mirror that wasn't smashed off, if it works that side, it's quite likely you had them both sides.

VonB.

Well in the end I opted for a standard (non-heated) unit off eBay, genuine Audi part though, none of that stick on nonsense.

It's just arrived by courier so will be happily fitting it tonight if I get home before dark.

Once I have a moment I will be man-handling the outer shell back in to shape also, it has got a bit distorted with the attack, perhaps a dash of superglue or Araldite will be required...

Breast of duck! It's not the sort of job to do in the cold/dark.

If you want some new shells, they're £20 each from dealers and actually look quite nice as they come, in satin black!

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for this guide - some turd kicked my wirror off a couple of weeks ago and I've just picked up a replacement from the local scrap yard. £35 and a £5 for one of those torque/torx drivers from halfords. I was quoted £250 by my local Audi dealer for the part and fitting, so it's a DIY job for me!

Quick tip - you don't need to undo the three smaller screws to remove the motor to get the casing off - just fold the mirror in on it's hinge and it should just lift off over the innards.

Thanks for the PDF though - very helpful!

Hi Bungers, Good information, I will update the guide. I was so frustrated when it happened to me I wanted to make sure it was easy to repair for all A2's as it is such a stupid thing to have done.

My passenger side mirror is sitting a little loose. It wobbles when going over bumpy ground.
I have tried tightening the Torx bolt but did not seem to get any grip.
The triangular mirror frame on the outside of the car seems to be loose or possibly twisted.
Is it worth replacing the seal/bung in the middle of the door frame?
If this was worn would it affect the bolt?
Also would it help to try removing the bolt adding some thread lock and trying again? If the tread was worn inside the mirror this should help?

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem? It happened when I tried to fold in the mirror the first time after buying the car. I guess it had never been done before.

John

I found the cause of the issue on my wing mirror. In trying to fold in the mirror I forced the small screw next to the big T40 bolt out of alignment.
I used lots of WD40 and waited but I guess 10 years without being folded was a bit long.
I fixed the problem by placing a small washer under the smaller torx screw. This is hidden behind the foam piece behind the plastic triangle trim piece.
Now the mirror is steady and not vibrating on rough road.
The glass on both sides shakes a bit. Is this normal?

John

Since someone decided to steal my wing mirror and leave me nothing but two wires, I was wondering if anybody could upload a guide/tips on how to do it, and what tools I would need? I have found a replacement electric wing mirror for £50, just not sure how to replace it!

Any help would be appreciated!

Back