Engine Transplant

shao_khan

Past Member
So the A2 was built nice and light, small up front, etc,etc so it really makes it pointless having a big engine conversion (1.8T etc).

It looks to me though that VW are now producing the Ultimate A2 engine: 1.4TSI - twin charger 1.4 with 170ps output, that would certainly make a little rocket ship out of the A2, keep weight down and still keep it low emissions - sounds like a perfect match :D

Hi. Here you see the first ever A2 with 1,8T engine: http://forum.a2-freun.de/thread.php?postid=173895#post173895
audimotor1.jpg

a2motor3.jpg

It is still not driving because not ready yet, but we are wayting for it :D
a2_2.jpg

erstens said:
Hi. Here you see the first ever A2 with 1,8T engine: http://forum.a2-freun.de/thread.php?postid=173895#post173895
It is still not driving because not ready yet, but we are wayting for it :D

Wow! !"£$%^&*(! Is that the 1.8T from a MkIV golf? 150bhp? or the 180bhp special model? Just like what Robin told me, slot it in, new Garrett, manifolds and 300bhp! Thanks for bringing this to us, keep us posted of this extreme A2 mod! I really want to see it done.

No, this 1.8T goes up to 210 or 225 or as max 240HP but be has his limit and this is less than 200HP. So it will be about 195 HP or so. And I read, that it should be from a Polo 9N Volkswagen. But I don't know, if it was sold in a Polo. I didn't calculate it, but I remember, it will go 240 km/h or so... He will use 312 mm discs as I remember and some weight in the back and other modifications.

Last edited:
Looking at the size of an A4 rad and intercooler, how the hell are you going to keep it cool enough, I'd be surprised if there was enough frontal area for rads and intercoolers to function well? I'm intrigued

you can use the intercooler from the tdi and water injection and have a rad made up to keep it all cool

will need to uprate the suspention to handle all the weight of the 18t

YOu see this is the point of my thread - the 1.8T is heavy large lump and not really designed for the A2, but the 1.4TSI on the other hand is smaller, lighter, lower emissions and seems like an idea choice for an A2. And I think 170ps would be mnore than adequate to scare me in the car :D

What i would like is a longer 5th gear or even a 6th gear

I know some people in germany have had their gearbox modified and in general it reduced the rpm's by about 500.

Even the price for doing this was not out of reach for most people

Havank said:
What i would like is a longer 5th gear or even a 6th gear

I know some people in germany have had their gearbox modified and in general it reduced the rpm's by about 500.

Even the price for doing this was not out of reach for most people
I've looked into this and it's about £800 to change the final drive, which affects all ratios. I've even got a 6 ratio box lurking somewhere - fitting it would mean modding the engine casing/clutch housing, so that's a non-starter for me.

Without Quattro, I don't think anything over 150PS is worth having on the A2, as it'll just wheelspin.

Cheers,

Mike

a six speed one he

Is that one from an Passat??

About the Gbp 800 ??

I had seen a lower quote on the german site though

an A2 quattro - now we are talking :D

I can still recal the days with my Vauxhall / Opel Vectra 4x4 those were the days before i could afort the proper quattro stuff

shao_khan said:
YOu see this is the point of my thread - the 1.8T is heavy large lump and not really designed for the A2, but the 1.4TSI on the other hand is smaller, lighter, lower emissions and seems like an idea choice for an A2. And I think 170ps would be mnore than adequate to scare me in the car :D

Me too, I think the 1.4 TSI would be very good choice. Any takers?

GT28RS on the 1.8T, 400+bhp, would be interesting in a straight line for sure, sort the suspension out well and you could make it handle pretty damn good really

Back