Lower inlet manafold replaceent - eeek

the_IT_bloke

Past Member
Engine warning light came on and idling at around 1200rpm but drives ok, took to Audi, the engineer (yes the actual engineer) just phoned me with his diagnostics (they have a late shift);

Having taken some of the inlet mamafold out there is apparently a rod into the lower inlet manafold which has broken. This connects to some valves which allow the air into the engine, (gently) prodding with a screwdriver, these will not move fully to the end stop, may have siezed and caused the rod to snap.

Likely solution; (prices approx)
New lower inlet manafold with all the valves £250 ish
New Vacumn pump £50 ish
Up to 18 new gaskets ranging from 50p to several pounds each
No idea of labour costs, the engineer had never done one before...

Sitting down and breathing calmly now....
I dont doubt the diagnosis, I think Southampton Audi are honest and accurate and ever had an issue with them, however just wanted to run this by you guys.
If it was a computer or electronics I can have it appart, repaired, bebuilt and running like lightning, cars I am not quite so clued up on...

Anyone got any thoughts or had similar experiences?

Looking like its gona cost me in the reqion of £700? :(

Any advice?

Hi IT bloke
Can't find it now but sure I read that its fairly common for the intake manifold to carbon up, causing the flaps to stick and fail the (plastic?) link rod. A good independent garage could probably clean out the manifold and fix the link rod - unlike Audi who generally prefer to replace everything (maybe cleaning bits @ £100 / hr does not make economic sense)
The attached link shows how the flap works to vary the intake port area and increase gas speed - click on FSI then stratified to see the flap in the closed position.
Interesting but sorry its not much help to you
http://www1.audi.cn/en/tech/newcar/technology/eng_fsi_hom.html

Cheers Spike

Broken piece of plastic .....

Spike

Many thanks for the info. If I am going to spend that much money I do like to know what the issue is, so really useful thanks.

I am going to try to negotiate a discount on the labour and ask for the broken parts, at least I might be able to confirm the diagnosis myself and possible learn enough to do the repair myself if the issue happens again.

Thanks once again for the much needed information.

Paul

The continuing saga of the broken piece of plastic in the engine...

Its now been a week and the A2 is still on the ramps.

Apparently one of the 18 gasket / seals which need replacing (if the dealer does the work) as part of the removal and replacement of the lower inlet manafold is on back order.
They doubt I will have the car back till the end of the week now.

On the bright side Southampton Audi have loaned me a new (2k miles on the clock) A6 2.0TDi Tiptronic, fully loaded with all the options from when the A2 went in 'till I get it back. Really nice car, take all the time you need guys ;)

Getting into the FF MMI / Nav / Bluetooth etc. Might have to retrofit one to A2 now :) Thats the problem with getting to play with all the toys, you miss them when thay are taken away :(

I know the feeling you get from driving a new premium car. But when considering the amount of money between my A2 and the other car, the smile on my face always disappears. Easily. Very easily.

Xiter I know what your mean, priced the loaner A6 Avant up at £35k ... :eek:
That and the fact I'm only getting about 30MPG....

2 weeks down and still no A2. I have been told I have the A6 on 'long term loan' and can keep it 'till I have my car back, can everyone please order some A2 gaskets, with luch I will still have it at Christmas ;)

The A6 on the other and is causing me other issues, now everyone at work thinks I got a high spec company car (I do deserve one!) and my director is fending off the complaints.

Ho hum

I am half way through doing mine for same prob. rod not broken on mine but intake filthy with the residue of EGR deposits. I think that is what is making my flaps stick ( oh er mrs ) . Does anyone know if when everything goes back i just reconnect the fuel and turn the key till it starts - or is there a purging / bleeding exercice to go through?

Just completed the strip, clean and rebuild of the lower inlet manifold on the wifes 1.6fsi to clear the fault related to inlet manifold flap 'setpoint not reached'. Cleaned out the lower intake and replaced the flap position potentiometer ( since you can only do that with it off the car, only £40 ) managed to reuse all the gaskets as they were metal and in good nick. Driven to work in it this morning seems fine.

Nice one bdub

If I was that confident with the engine I probably would have had a go myself. The job ended up costing me a small fortune and the car was out of action for several weeks (although I did have the loaner).

If this really is a frequent fault with the A2 FSi engine you could have a basis for a small side line :)

Wondering if there is anything that can be sprayed into the inlet manafold to clean it without taking it all appart, probably do more harm than good!

Just completed the strip, clean and rebuild of the lower inlet manifold on the wifes 1.6fsi to clear the fault related to inlet manifold flap 'setpoint not reached'. Cleaned out the lower intake and replaced the flap position potentiometer ( since you can only do that with it off the car, only £40 ) managed to reuse all the gaskets as they were metal and in good nick. Driven to work in it this morning seems fine.
Hi guys,
I just had this fault diagnosed on my 1.6 FSI SE 04 (in my local Nationwide)and am wondering if I should either do the job myself or speak to a garage that knows what they're talking about. Nationwide are saying it has to go to VW/Audi garage and I am just a wee bit concerned that my local Audi will try to replace everything (and go overboard) rather than clean and replace the manifold. Knowing now what you have gone through what would you suggest?

bHub:confused:

Hi guys,
I just had this fault diagnosed on my 1.6 FSI SE 04 (in my local Nationwide)and am wondering if I should either do the job myself or speak to a garage that knows what they're talking about. Nationwide are saying it has to go to VW/Audi garage and I am just a wee bit concerned that my local Audi will try to replace everything (and go overboard) rather than clean and replace the manifold. Knowing now what you have gone through what would you suggest?

bHub:confused:

I have an inlet manifold problem, have had for a year now! I took myn to a nationwide dealer and they said I have two options, either they strip it down And clean it and hope for the best =£90, or replace it =£300+++++ so I obviously went for the £90 option and............ It didn't work!:mad:
I still haven't had It fixed It just costs to much, plus when I got it diagnosed from skoda they said it needs upper and lower manifolds need replacing???? and that would cost close to £1000!!!!!!!!
Sounds like Audi maybe the way to go??? any advice???

Just thought I'd add myself to the list of people with this fault. Luckily for me the car came with a 2yr warranty which will cover the repair.

The non-Audi dealer took a week to diagnose the fault before admitting defeat and sending the car to Audi. All in all the A2 will be off the road for 3 weeks!

I've just bought an 03 1.6 FSI privately and this fault has developed within the first week of ownership, which is slightly irritating because it had a full service costing about £1K two weeks ago before it was sold! It's going to cost just shy of £700 to replace the unit. Is this a common fault? Is the cost of ownership of my Audi going to be a bit like this forever?!

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. I know it's getting on a bit and work will need doing but I suppose wasn't expecting that in the first week! Bad luck really.

I suspected it was going to be a big labour job because I think the part's about £250 so the rest will be labour. I think this time I'll get the garage to do it but next time I'll get a diagnosis tool and the workshop manual...get my hands dirty.

Good luck selling your car!

I have just had my A2 FSi diagnosed with this issue. It's been quoted as a £700 Fix depending on what they need to replace. Im not happy, my A2 is a 02 but only done 50k! The audi guys where honest enough to say that the problem was that they where not closing fully and that the car was drivable for the foresable future but the problem will only begin to get worse. With the trips to Cornwall with the A2 that I do, it's a choice of when I get it done rather than if. I will start saving my pennys.

Hi all - i've had the lower manifold issue develop and my mechanic says it needs replacing. It's in Ireland and I'm being quoted E1k for the part to be ordered from Germany and E600 for labour; also won't be done in time for Christmas so will be without a car (grr!). Does the cost of the part sound about right (about £900) or might I be able to get it at a better price somewhere myself?

Thanks

Paul

A new lower FSI manifold from Audi in the UK is currently circa £450, I am sure @Vorsprung durch Technik can confirm this, your part quote is OTT. Okay there may be other cost for parts but not excessive but very difficult to say until stripped down and the cause of failure established. It is not unusual for the car to drive fine, albeit a bit lacking in guts and a small loss in mpg, so no rush to fix. The labour cost is more reasonable, it's a labour intensive job

My advice would be to spend time reading on here about this notorious FSI fault before committing to anything.

Andy

Hi all - i've had the lower manifold issue develop and my mechanic says it needs replacing. It's in Ireland and I'm being quoted E1k for the part to be ordered from Germany and E600 for labour; also won't be done in time for Christmas so will be without a car (grr!). Does the cost of the part sound about right (about £900) or might I be able to get it at a better price somewhere myself?

Thanks

Paul

Andrew is correct Incredypaul. I paid £427.20 all told beginning of May including the 2 genuine gaskets which are £15 plus vat with a small discount from Crew Audi. No doubt in the 6 months since i bought mine the price has gone up at Audi, they always put prices up every six months minimum.

Your Eu Price your being quoted is a ripe off but we won't go there. It's a 4 hour job and that's it no more! If your being quoted more they don't know what they're doing. The only other items you will definitely need are the 2 manifold lower gaskets i mentioned earlier. My advice is if you haven't already done this get it checked for misfires, it's nearly always now down to injectors failing. Get it on VCDS to confirm oh and buy 4 new injector seals. It's up to you, you can replace just the one injector at £100 on ebay from a genuine Bosch supplier, or replace them all while your in there?! I had to replace the EGR pipe too @ £125 including gaskets from Audi and an hours labour as it's a horrible job apparently. Mine had a small crack that only showed up on cold start. I changed an an injector so 2 new ones in there now and with all the work the car is a different animal. It was ok before just a horrible induction roar on acceleration like it's not smooth, It accelerates quietly now no funny induction noise when you wanted to accelerate just smooth quiet very eager power even on a very light throttle.The Green Goddess Hth.

Hi Everyone

Thanks so much for the really quick responses, really appreciate it. It seems the cost quote was a bit of Chinese whispers from my mum - the car is in Dublin and I'm in London so she had spoke to the mechanic before me and got a bit muddled up. Look like the lower manifold is E554.00, so plus labour comes to about E1000 in total. He also said about getting the gasket (upper to lower), but I'll mention about the misfires and the injectors. My biggest issue now is getting a manifold. Audi Ireland won't give him the part number and say it will take 10 working days to get a manifold, which leaves me without a car over Christmas (i'm going to Dublin for Christmas on Thursday). I've spoken with TPS (courtesy of Peter Norris Audi) and they have said 5-7 business days (though it is cheaper here - E371.26 plus vat). Might any of you know where I could try to source one at short notice?

Cheers

Paul

Andrew is correct Incredypaul. I paid £427.20 all told beginning of May including the 2 genuine gaskets which are £15 plus vat with a small discount from Crew Audi. No doubt in the 6 months since i bought mine the price has gone up at Audi, they always put prices up every six months minimum.

Your Eu Price your being quoted is a ripe off but we won't go there. It's a 4 hour job and that's it no more! If your being quoted more they don't know what they're doing. The only other items you will definitely need are the 2 manifold lower gaskets i mentioned earlier. My advice is if you haven't already done this get it checked for misfires, it's nearly always now down to injectors failing. Get it on VCDS to confirm oh and buy 4 new injector seals. It's up to you, you can replace just the one injector at £100 on ebay from a genuine Bosch supplier, or replace them all while your in there?! I had to replace the EGR pipe too @ £125 including gaskets from Audi and an hours labour as it's a horrible job apparently. Mine had a small crack that only showed up on cold start. I changed an an injector so 2 new ones in there now and with all the work the car is a different animal. It was ok before just a horrible induction roar on acceleration like it's not smooth, It accelerates quietly now no funny induction noise when you wanted to accelerate just smooth quiet very eager power even on a very light throttle.The Green Goddess Hth.

Hi Vorsprung durch Technik. Thanks so much for the really quick response, really appreciate it. It seems the cost quote was a bit of Chinese whispers from my mum - the car is in Dublin and I'm in London so she had spoke to the mechanic before me and got a bit muddled up. Look like the lower manifold is E554.00, so plus labour comes to about E1000 in total. He also said about getting the gasket (upper to lower), but I'll mention about the misfires and the injectors. My biggest issue now is getting a manifold. Audi Ireland won't give him the part number and say it will take 10 working days to get a manifold, which leaves me without a car over Christmas (i'm going to Dublin for Christmas on Thursday). I've spoken with TPS (courtesy of Peter Norris Audi) and they have said 5-7 business days (though it is cheaper here - E371.26 plus vat). Might you know where I could try to source one at short notice?

Cheers

Paul

Back