2nd & 4th Gear Grinding

Bri76

Entering the motorway this morning on the slip road, from a red traffic light, building up speed in 1st, hit 2nd - grinding, went straight into 3rd, then 4th - grinding, came off at the next junction, still problems with 2nd and 4th, then after a mile or so in 3rd it seems to be ok again?
Could it just be the gear cables need resetting? It didn't feel as if it was properly in gear in 2nd and 4th on the stick?
The gearbox oil was changed a couple of months ago.
Any advice, as always, is appreciated

The linkage system is easy to work on once you gain access to it.
When taking parts off the car give each one a clean look for damage/wear, replace any worn parts and rebuild.

There is another member who has a reverse gear problem. I've put some pictures in their thread that maybe of use?

Good luck!
:) 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have any questions do let me know I'll be about all day.

Well, I've managed to have a look and I'm kind if struggling...
I did the gear cable reset as shown in several posts on in on here, but now it won't even go anywhere near into 1st or 2nd. I had a problem pulling back one of the spring tensioners on one of the cables, but managed to free it off. I've done the reset a few times now, but it's still the same? Can anyone advise on a way around this? Thanks in advance

First and second inhibited - are you also unable to get reverse?

If these are true then it relates to the cable that activates the bell crank and raises / lowers the selector shaft into / out of the gearbox, which corresponds to left / right movement of the gear lever.

It is either too tight - or too slack (I am in work and can't currently remember which way the left/right movement of gearlever translates into vertical movement).

One possibility - if the selector was in the correct position but gearlever immobilised in wrong place at the time of cable adjustment - or vice versa - this would result in that cable connector gripping onto the cable in the wrong place so then gearlever movements are being mistranslated at the gearbox end.

I would manipulate the gearbox into a known neutral position with the gearlever in neutral, then release and re-attach the spring clip (in particular the one going to the bell crank) without anything moving in a major way - hopefully this may be enough to reset that cable and restore access to the (R) / 1/2 axis.

The cables need to be set carefully but are not hard to do. What is important is that the linkages and bell cranks are checked for wear and the bracket and cable mounting points are all correct. The gearbox needs to be locked AND the gear stick needs to be locked after the cables are released. Now go to each cable in turn and LIGHTLY take out any slack and release the spring clamp to set the cable. Repeat on the other cable. Release the gearbox lock and the gearstick lock.

Page 40 & 41 from the document
AUDI A2 - Engine and Gearbox
Design and Function

Self-study programme 247

GEARBOX SELECTOR_A2no.1.png

GEARBOX SELECTOR_A2no.2.png

:)

Guys - thank you for your advice.
I have manage to get it on the move again!
I suspect the plastic pin that locks the gearbox is broken, so I managed to do a reset as described in the video in this thread: https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/gear-change-issues-2003-tdi-150k-miles.34450/

I have driven it and it goes in all gears, although it doesn't seem very solid in 3rd on the stick (if you know what I mean?)
However, I'm relieved it was something I could do myself, I'm not sure why it went wrong in the first place, I'm just hopeful I can get one more year out of it!

Thanks again for the tips

Back