alloys wheels

I'm assuming the wheel is corroded / stuck on the hub. There are lots of 'how to' clips on youtube, usually involving a sledge hammer, most of which could go horribly wrong so be warned.
Personally I'd start with the alternate kick method. Slacken the wheel bolts then jack up the offending corner and use an axle stand. Remove all but one top bolt, which should be loosened a couple of turns. Lie on the ground, positioned so you can comfortably kick either side of the tyre to produce a rocking motion which should break the bond.

Cheers Spike

the kick method is probably the easiest way. I've seen this problem before, but only with steels and only at the rear.

I would also suggest actually removing all bolts before trying to move it around. And really, seriously, DO NOT DO THIS ON JUST A JACK!

- Bret

b7f0d9893fbc6b4341935b686b4a93ab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sorry to repeat the safety advice but it is ESSENTIAL (Even though you might already be taking the correct precautions)

Use the jack AND axle stands and also throw some wheels under that area of the car just in case the other things fail (it MIGHT buy you some breathing space if a disaster happens.

Also simply don't do this AT ALL if you are alone. If something goes wroing you will need someone there to help, get help!!!

PLEASE be careful when doing this hammering and kicking!!!

Steve B

TDI 75 , MOT due in 10 days or so and doing some basic checks . Handbrake / brakes seems to be sticking on nearside rear .. so thought quickly take off wheel and have a look... Now having issue with nearside rear alloy, seems to be bonded to the drum / hub. Have safely jacked/ supported with jack, stands , wheels and given reasonable force through kicks but it wont budge , been watching youtube videos, tried lowering onto block and wont move. reluctant to try moving slightly with bolts not tight but all in , Looks like you could drive it with no bolts in though... I wont! . All bolts undo just the wheel wont come off .. havent tried sledge hammer for fear of damaging something through a misplaced swing, damaging the tyre , thinking maybe need some sort of penetrating fluid now .

Any ideas ?

Put the handbrake on and then use the sledge hammer.

I used a lump Hammer to get the wheels off the project car.

Take all but one of the wheel bolts out.
Back that last one half way out and welly the tyre with the sledge

Turn the wheel to vary the areas your applying the main shock force to.

Good luck :) đź‘Ť

Use the sledge hammer.
I used a lump Hamber to get the wheels off the project car.

Take all but one of the wheel bolts out.
Back that last one half way out and welly the tyre with the sledge
Thanks , I will give it a go. Would you do this from the outside towards the car or from behind striking the tyre below the shock mounting ?

Safety first as you mentioned.
Chock front wheels, jack car and put on axle stands.

Then strike tyre below shock absorber.

Worked for me and I only had a small lump hammer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry about that, the project car also had stuck on drum brakes! I did use spray oil like you suggested between the drum and rim.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a great feeling when it finally givesway

TDI 75 , MOT due in 10 days or so and doing some basic checks . Handbrake / brakes seems to be sticking on nearside rear .. so thought quickly take off wheel and have a look... Now having issue with nearside rear alloy, seems to be bonded to the drum / hub. Have safely jacked/ supported with jack, stands , wheels and given reasonable force through kicks but it wont budge , been watching youtube videos, tried lowering onto block and wont move. reluctant to try moving slightly with bolts not tight but all in , Looks like you could drive it with no bolts in though... I wont! . All bolts undo just the wheel wont come off .. havent tried sledge hammer for fear of damaging something through a misplaced swing, damaging the tyre , thinking maybe need some sort of penetrating fluid now .

Any ideas ?
Evening Neil,

Is this Project 250 Sir. If so then I couldn’t suggest anything that would see any of the wheels to be stuck on. I swapped the pepperpots over from Project OEM to ensure your purchase had the newer tyres on as I wanted to see it drive away as sorted as possible, therefore the wheels haven’t even been on there for 12 months yet. Hopefully you get the wheel off without causing any damage though. If it’s not the 250 A2 then sorry for jumping in. I’m sure you’ll have it sorted soon enough with the advice already provided above.

Kind regards,

Tom

Evening Neil,

Is this Project 250 Sir. If so then I couldn’t suggest anything that would see any of the wheels to be stuck on. I swapped the pepperpots over from Project OEM to ensure your purchase had the newer tyres on as I wanted to see it drive away as sorted as possible, therefore the wheels haven’t even been on there for 12 months yet. Hopefully you get the wheel off without causing any damage though. If it’s not the 250 A2 then sorry for jumping in. I’m sure you’ll have it sorted soon enough with the advice already provided above.

Kind regards,

Tom
Hi Tom,

Thanks , yes its 250 , Im getting it ready for MOT at end of month, i noticed handbrake stuck on, this is down to me! probably because I havent really used the car enough, its been stood for a few weeks, and I havent removed the wheels since tyres and alloys gave me no cause for concern . Will have to do all the others as well. Im sure it will come off , just dont want to damage the wheel , tyre or something else in the process.

Kind Regards
Neil

Car on axle stands, from behind the wheel kick with your heel, usually easiest to do lying down

Back