Are "Concert 2" head units from other Audi Models Compatible with the A2

L162LZ

United-Kingdom
Hi All. Collecting my first A2 in a few weeks. It currently has a non Audi Head unit. I would like to replace this with the original Concert 2 unit that was in place. I notice the specific A2 models are expensive and tend to have the worn buttons because of the paint finish. Can I fit any Concert 2 version ie 8E0035186D from an Audi A4 Avant (B7) or are there differences?
I have VCDS (for my Audi A6) if its just a case of a simple coding change?

There are, I think, two versions of the Concert II, (there may be a third, as when fitted to a Mk1 TT, the in/off button is low profile). One has a Fakra connector in the centre of the rear panel, the other does not.
The Fakra connector is for the link between the radio and the Diversity Antenna Controller.
A Concert II with Fakra can be coded for non Diversity or Diversity application, while the one with no Fakra is non Diversity only.
So, first check if your car has the Diversity Controller. If there is one, it's in the battery well, at the right side, furthest forward. There's an empty cubby slot, behind the foam housing for tools, and the Diversity is fixed to the back of that cubby. It's easily missed, you need to get your head right in to see it. It has six Fakra connectors, and a power connector. If it's there, then go for the Concert II, with a Fakra, if not, it means the car had a Chorus previously, and in that case, you can fit either version.
Hope I haven't made it too complicated, and haven't got it wrong either 🤞
Mac.
The Fakra version has a lable like this, (mine):
Screenshot_20231025-162419.png

There are, I think, two versions of the Concert II, (there may be a third, as when fitted to a Mk1 TT, the in/off button is low profile). One has a Fakra connector in the centre of the rear panel, the other does not.
The Fakra connector is for the link between the radio and the Diversity Antenna Controller.
A Concert II with Fakra can be coded for non Diversity or Diversity application, while the one with no Fakra is non Diversity only.
So, first check if your car has the Diversity Controller. If there is one, it's in the battery well, at the right side, furthest forward. There's an empty cubby slot, behind the foam housing for tools, and the Diversity is fixed to the back of that cubby. It's easily missed, you need to get your head right in to see it. It has six Fakra connectors, and a power connector. If it's there, then go for the Concert II, with a Fakra, if not, it means the car had a Chorus previously, and in that case, you can fit either version.
Mac.
The Fakra version has a lable like this, (mine):View attachment 114708
Thanks I'll check once its arrived. Its a 2002 SE (not sure if this helps to know in advance) It had an aftermarket radio when the current owner bought it 9 years ago. Will check once I've collected it. Appreciate the information :)

Thanks I'll check once its arrived. Its a 2002 SE (not sure if this helps to know in advance) It had an aftermarket radio when the current owner bought it 9 years ago. Will check once I've collected it. Appreciate the information :)
That might complicate things a bit, as early cars had Chorus/Concert 1. Which are different. If your sure it had a Concert II, you're OK though.
Mac.

Mac.
The Fakra version has a lable like this, (mine):View attachment 114708
Also I've now noticed the front panel is different on the A4 version. Assume this wont fit straight in the A2. Do you know if the fronts are interchangable? I've seen a guide to using donor buttons from other versions where you remove the front but was thinking if I buy an A4 version with good buttons could I remove the front panel from a spares/repair A2/A6/TT version and make a hybrid of the 2 that would work? Anyone tried this before?

That might complicate things a bit, as early cars had Chorus/Concert 1. Which are different. If your sure it had a Concert II, you're OK though.
Mac.
Thanks, do you know if theres a way to find out/ check what the original head unit was?

An '02 plate should have had a Chorus or Concert II from new, I've never heard of any '01 model year (with the previous generation headunits) being registered as late as March 2002, although there are a few on '51 plates from September 2001. By then the '02 model year would have been in the showrooms. Check the 10th digit in the VIN number, visible on the top of the dashboard from outside the car. That will be the last digit of the model year.

I believe since the fascias are totally removeable that it should indeed be possible to swap with one from a dead A2 unit. As with the climate unit, the back end of the box housing the electronics is common to other Audis of the era but the A2 was the narrowest console to fit the unit in so it has the smallest fascia.

Also I've now noticed the front panel is different on the A4 version. Assume this wont fit straight in the A2. Do you know if the fronts are interchangable? I've seen a guide to using donor buttons from other versions where you remove the front but was thinking if I buy an A4 version with good buttons could I remove the front panel from a spares/repair A2/A6/TT version and make a hybrid of the 2 that would work? Anyone tried this before?

Thanks for the nudge that's really useful 👍

An '02 plate should have had a Chorus or Concert II from new, I've never heard of any '01 model year (with the previous generation headunits) being registered as late as March 2002, although there are a few on '51 plates from September 2001. By then the '02 model year would have been in the showrooms. Check the 10th digit in the VIN number, visible on the top of the dashboard from outside the car. That will be the last digit of the model year.

I believe since the fascias are totally removeable that it should indeed be possible to swap with one from a dead A2 unit. As with the climate unit, the back end of the box housing the electronics is common to other Audis of the era but the A2 was the narrowest console to fit the unit in so it has the smallest fascia.
I believe this is the VIN number, does this mean that it is an 01 model so would need a series 1 head unit?
1698250366090.png

yes, i've done this a few times, its easy to swap across A2 fascia and replace worn buttons - they just push out - don't use anything sharp as you can go straight through plastic.... you'll need the radio code if it doesn't come with the unlock code for the a4 stereo body you'll be reusing - they can be obtained on ebay cheaply..

I believe this is the VIN number, does this mean that it is an 01 model so would need a series 1 head unit?
View attachment 114709
Yes- Mine is a 2001 SE. It has been upgraded from Chorus to Concert. Both series 1. I understand it is possible to fit a Series 2 unit, but you will need different connectors on the loom. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes- Mine is a 2001 SE. It has been upgraded from Chorus to Concert. Both series 1. I understand it is possible to fit a Series 2 unit, but you will need different connectors on the loom. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks, do you know the VAG part number for the A2 variant of the Concert1, or are they the same across all Audi models that had them ?

View attachment 114709
Goodness, that is a late registration for an 01MY! Yes, that would have had the first generation headunit without the CAN extension. You would be best to convert to the second generation as the earlier units have a firmware fault that eventually disables the volume change, it'll be stuck either on 0 or full. You'll need to research the upgrade though. For now, at least aftermarket units work with the wiring of your car.

Thanks, do you know the VAG part number for the A2 variant of the Concert1, or are they the same across all Audi models that had them ?
@Ami has one. I was in contact recently about it. Mine 'fixed itself' so I am sticking with my one, but Ami is a good source of parts. This ones a minter too apparently.. While its out, fit a Bluemusic Bluetooth system and maybe talk to @timmus when he is back in the UK about fitting rear speakers and amp- its not as easy as it would be on older cars as there is no loom for weight saving if there are none fitted.

Goodness, that is a late registration for an 01MY! Yes, that would have had the first generation headunit without the CAN extension. You would be best to convert to the second generation as the earlier units have a firmware fault that eventually disables the volume change, it'll be stuck either on 0 or full. You'll need to research the upgrade though. For now, at least aftermarket units work with the wiring of your car.
Thanks I think it was registered Jan 14th 2002. I'll do some research into retrofitting a Concert 2 in the meantime 😁 Has anybody produced a step by Step guide to whats needed to switch from Concert 1 => Concert 2, I had a quick search but couldnt see one?

Last edited:
Is this the sort of device I will need to use to get it working ?
1698262863924.png

yes, i've done this a few times, its easy to swap across A2 fascia and replace worn buttons - they just push out - don't use anything sharp as you can go straight through plastic.... you'll need the radio code if it doesn't come with the unlock code for the a4 stereo body you'll be reusing - they can be obtained on ebay cheaply..
Done a trawl on eBay this evening and managed to find a functional A2 Concert 2 with very worn buttons and a very clean non functional A3 version (Total cost £56). Hopefully by the time I collect the car in a few weeks I'll have merged the 2 into one reasonble unit I can then attempt to get working :)
1698263798554.png

Is this the sort of device I will need to use to get it working ? View attachment 114710
Sorry, I'm aware of the issue at an overview level but short on the actual detail, so perhaps I shouldn't have said anything. But that product certainly matches the solution in my basic understanding. There are far more knowledgeable people on here, I'm hoping someone is going to chime in to confirm.

Sorry, I'm aware of the issue at an overview level but short on the actual detail, so perhaps I shouldn't have said anything. But that product certainly matches the solution in my basic understanding. There are far more knowledgeable people on here, I'm hoping someone is going to chime in to confirm.
Thanks and to be sure you have more knowledge than I do on the subject so all comments are appreciated 👍

Back