At last, after 6 years, I have an A2!!

Pompeydave

A2OC Donor

Well, finally, after six years of wanting one and five years being registered on this forum, I have an A2! I only had a small budget, so when the above came up at £2350, I went for it. Got it for £2200 in the end. It has starship mileage of 176k, but from then on it gets better and better.

It's a one owner from new 1.4TDi SE, with full Audi service history, all done at the same garage, Vincents, later Exeter Audi.

List of extra's is what attracted me to it though: Bose, CD Multichanger, Sat nav plus, TV, Open Sky, Cruise, Electric rear windows and the rear bench seat.

Bad points- there's what sounds like a panel that vibrates noisily somewhere at the front drivers side whenever the throttle is lifted off. There's a small oily wet patch on the back of the engine, passenger side. There are a few trim rattles that need to be found and silenced. The climate isn't working, hoping it's just a regas. The Open Sky predictably just clicks and doesn't open. A few of the buttons on the inside are worn, there are a couple of paintwork issues that need sorting as well as replacement or refurbished wheels and finally, it needs a bloody good clean!

Good points- The engine pulls like a train, I don't know if it's been remapped, but I suspect not as it was used as a hack for a large hotel down in Devon. It's good on fuel- I sat on the M25 for four hours on friday after picking it up from the dealer in Windsor and going around to Harlow to pick up an unused bodykit, before heading home to Pompey at 80. The next morning I did an indicated 90 all the way to the Dorset Steam fair, filled it up back in Pompey and got a real world 51mpg- impressed!

The Bose is just brilliant. I've waited for ages to get a car with it fitted from new as it seems to be one of the hardest items of kit to retrofit. The Satnav works and took me to Harlow and home correctly. I like the TV function, but can't see myself using it much.

So, there we are, I finally got one! :cool:

Last edited:
That's not bad price at all. The bose is of course difficult to retro fit, but the rear electric windows are even worse! Consider the parts may probably sell on for 1/2 your purchase price, I'd say good deal there with a decent engine by the sounds of it! Well done and congrats! Watch out the air con, get a health check scan too.

Welcome!
If you're quick (I see you have a 2001 car) you might find it worth contacting Worthing Audi about a full OpenSky replacement under the 10-year warranty...

Yep, just this minute emailed Chris at Worthing as the car was registered on 6th Dec 2001, so I'm in date with FASH, apart from one blip at an independant which hopefully won't be a deal breaker!

Watch out the air con, get a health check scan too.

Hmmm, bad news- I just spoke to the previous owner and she said she was quoted £1000 to fix the climate when it went wrong a couple of years ago. Anyone know what could be wrong for that sort of quote? By the way, she confirmed that the car is standard and hasn't been remapped.

Also, where would I get a health scan done and at what sort of cost?

Fingers crossed on the OSS - nice and quickly into that well done!

The climate could be any number of things, possibly the compressor clutch has gone, but the best thing to do is get a scan done for any error codes first. I suspect though that if it's not been working for several years it could be quite an extensive amount of work as other pipework seals will have rotted if they haven't been kept lubricated by the aircon fluid circulating, but everything is possible!

Many forum members have ECU scanning kit - VAGCOM and the like. I think there's a thread on here that indicates geographically where members who have VAGCOM live. I'm sure you can hook up with someone local for a scan. Failing that you can always go to a Garage and pay something like £50 for a scan...

Ok, thanks for the A/C and ECU scanning kit info, I'll look into it. Chris Smith has replied already saying that it looks like the car will qualify for the goodwill repair as long as the servicing has been done on time. Think it has, so fingers crossed, I might be able to get this done for free....

Wow, what a great spec car, if you tidy it up a little it will be amazing! so rare to find one with a tv in aswell because this was not a cheap option back in the day. Hope it brings you many happy miles

Chris

as for the air, by the sounds of it, your previous owner was quoted either to replace the G263 sensor (I was quoted £800+ at dealer) or an expensive replacement of the AC compressor (seem to remember £400+ parts then 1hr labour + regas). Get a scan, then do a search on the forum any fault code. But if your previous owner had left it broken for over 2 years, chances are, the circuit has been running dry without enough refrigerant and by not using ECON mode, the compressor had a high chance of worn valves (3 pops should be heard under a pressure test). One free DIY test, dial temp to LOW and max fan, there should be a difference between ECON mode off (cooler) and on (ambient) if the compressor is working but sensor error is preventing it from working full strength. Best use a temperature probe as fingers may not detect small change given mild ambient temp these days.

as for the air, by the sounds of it, your previous owner was quoted either to replace the G263 sensor (I was quoted £800+ at dealer) or an expensive replacement of the AC compressor (seem to remember £400+ parts then 1hr labour + regas). Get a scan, then do a search on the forum any fault code. But if your previous owner had left it broken for over 2 years, chances are, the circuit has been running dry without enough refrigerant and by not using ECON mode, the compressor had a high chance of worn valves (3 pops should be heard under a pressure test). One free DIY test, dial temp to LOW and max fan, there should be a difference between ECON mode off (cooler) and on (ambient) if the compressor is working but sensor error is preventing it from working full strength. Best use a temperature probe as fingers may not detect small change given mild ambient temp these days.

Ok, thanks for the advice- looks like a scan is first port of call to see what's up generally. I did try the climate on LO with full fan and it does seem to be cooler than when in ECON mode, so there may be some hope after all that a big bill can be avoided. Hope so- only have a grand left to do it up inc paintwork, so I'm going to have to pinch every penny!

scan

I'm sure if you ask him nicely Chris Smith would do the scan for free for you while it is in there....if your service history isn't good enough then ask Chris if you pay for them to do a service (including free scan) will they then do the roof for you. It would be worth it to get a new roof for the price of a service (normally £2000!).
Good luck.

Car booked in with Worthing Audi for OSS repair on 3rd October, all free under Audi goodwill warranty. Free courtesy car too. Result!

That by all accounts is a great little car.
Looks like it has a DIS too!
Best of luck with it!

blue skies
Tony

Last edited:
Nice work! As above get them to scan the ECU for any faults relating to the AirCon while you're there...
Wonder how many OSS roofs Chris has now repaired in the UK this year?

Car booked in with Worthing Audi for OSS repair on 3rd October, all free under Audi goodwill warranty. Free courtesy car too. Result!

Ok, an update. Had the cambelt and tensioner replaced the other week by German Auto Engineering in Portsmouth. Excellent service from Cornelius who is german himself and knows these cars inside out.

They also fixed a little oil leak by replacing a gasket somewhere on the engine curing that fault too.

I then took the car into Worthing Audi last Tuesday for it's free OSS replacement. I was given a new fully loaded 1.4 petrol A1 as courtesy car for a week. Cracking little car, shame it's only three doors though.

Anyway, got the car back today. New Open Sky fitted. Only bit not renewed seems to be the pop-up wind deflector which was ok anyway. Tried it and it's super smooth all the way back- lovely!

Also got them to renew the wiper arm which was very tired and chattered the blade across the screen. That too is now super smooth. Just need a replacement washer jet, which I can easily fit myself.

All in all, brilliant service from Chris and Worthing Audi, and hats off to Audi UK for ageeing to the work under warranty :)

Next up, suspension and steering check and overhaul.....

Excellent, another ReOpened Sky Sunroof!
Did you get the aircon checked while it was at Worthing?

Back