Coolant leak

Evoman

Upon removing the under tray to aid access fitting new ARB bushes I spotted what appeared to be coolant on the underside of the engine (pink droplets on the sump)
Coolant level had indeed dropped a little, perhaps 100ml top up required to reach Max line.
I'm a little perplexed how it found it's way there. Assuming the leak must be from the front of the engine somewhere which is then getting pulled underneath when travelling along.
Question are there any go to typical culprit areas to check?
Thanks

Likewise, if a Tdi, the coolant sensor housing can also either crack or suffer from the o-ring that seals it against the block perishing, which causes a slow seep of pink crystals to appear. There is a metal return pipe below this that runs around the front of the block behind the oil filter tower that enters the thermostat housing area - this also apparently corrodes through slowly.

As noted above, heater matrix and oil / coolant heat exchanger hoses are affected at the ends nearest the tandem pump as is the coolant expansion vessel return pipe, although the location that this is worst affected is underneath / behind the tandem pump so can only be felt for.

See (recent) threads -

Thank you folks, top tips as ever😁😉👍 Neglected to mention but yes car is indeed a TDI
I shall take a look once the weather improves!

A leak from the water pump leads to water droplets running down the sump. Worth checking out especially if you have no history of it being changed

A leak from the water pump leads to water droplets running down the sump. Worth checking out especially if you have no history of it being changed
Ah, cambelt changed just recently too along with water pump. Was checked at the time after fitting for leaks. Is there an easy way to identify it's the water pump leaking? It is very much water droplets down the sump

If the cambelt and water pump have been changed recently it shouldn't be a problem. To check clean up all the water and look for a leak. Any water running down the drivers side of the sump almost certainly originates from the water pump. It will be most obvious if the engine is run up to temperature and then switched off, because that's when heat soak puts maximum pressure on the system

Back