Death Pipe remanufacture in Stainless Steel. Hopefully now available.

Phil_B

So, these are a known problem. As are certain pipes on Rover 800's which I also own.
One of the 800 enthusiasts, Andy Cowen, remanufactures some pipes in stainless and I have approached him with the prospect of doing the death pipe too.
He has agreed. I have also given him the link to this forum.
How many people would be interested?
He will need a sample to work from, and will be able to give a price too on quantities

Also, are there any other pipes people would be interested in?

I will post links and pictures later.
He has worked on Jag, Lotus, and Rover in the past.

Interested ✋ - although I bet this has been explored on the German forum. I’ll try and have a look.

Are there any other pipes that people would be interested in having made?

The materials can be:
Light Alloy for race spec
powder coated steel
304/305 stainless in satin or polished

So, these are a known problem. As are certain pipes on Rover 800's which I also own.
One of the 800 enthusiasts, Andy Cowen, remanufactures some pipes in stainless and I have approached him with the prospect of doing the death pipe too.
He has agreed. I have also given him the link to this forum.
How many people would be interested?
He will need a sample to work from, and will be able to give a price too on quantities

Also, are there any other pipes people would be interested in?

I will post links and pictures later.
He has worked on Jag, Lotus, and Rover in the past.
I don't own a death-pipe equipped A2, but have done in the past. WIth this mod and the updated software I think they would go some way into making the FSI a reliable and more appealing proposition. They really are great to drive!

Not really too fussed on finishes cosmetically as they are tucked away out of sight , never out of mind 😲 . Im looking for whatever makes longevity / cost balance realistic, would a powder coated steel pipe see out the service life of any FSI so its fix now and forget? .

Ok, Update. I have ordered a new one from ebay and it will be delivered direct to Andy .
He should have it in 2 or 3 days and will come back to me with a feasibility and price depending on numbers.

I have NOT posted this proposal on Facebook yet.

I REALLY hope that this works.

Good Evening Phil,

A noble endeavour and I wish you well but it strikes me the part will be challenging for a fabricator even with a a high skill set and machine resources which will probably result in a high cost. It has been discussed previously several times with no outcome.

To increase the chance of success I suggest you look at part simplification. The part is not unique to the A2 FSI being used in earlier models and other contemporary models and I think several elements of design are redundant on our FSI but present for these other engines. For example those clip holders are not used on our FSI I think. (I do remember seeing an image of the part in a golf FSI and a clip was anchoring a wiring loom as in our 1.4). Again, are those bits that look like locating lugs actually used in our FSI??? - think not. The big one is the long flat part of the pipe, it surely reduces flow rate makes no sense to me but obviously there to achieve a clearance, but on our FSI?? - it actually faces away from the engine!, Is it needed on our FSI I think probably not. Dispensing with this is big gain for fabrication likewise the abrupt change of direction, much easier to do with a bending machine if space allows.

All these points need very very very careful thought but worth it.

Andy

Whilst I hope this does work out. I fear there are a few hidden hurdles to be cleared in the process. The original pipe was designed to work with other plastic parts of similar material so they had the same thermal characteristics, now you are swapping a large part to stainless steel.

What I suggest is a prototype is made and this thoroughly tested in a car to find any latent issues and only once that is complete consider offering it as a replacement to the current plastic pipe.

Who knows it may even be necessary to lag or insulate the stainless pipe to enable the FSI's thermostat and cooling system to work at optimal temperature under all loads.

Whilst I hope this does work out. I fear there are a few hidden hurdles to be cleared in the process. The original pipe was designed to work with other plastic parts of similar material so they had the same thermal characteristics, now you are swapping a large part to stainless steel.

What I suggest is a prototype is made and this thoroughly tested in a car to find any latent issues and only once that is complete consider offering it as a replacement to the current plastic pipe.

Who knows it may even be necessary to lag or insulate the stainless pipe to enable the FSI's thermostat and cooling system to work at optimal temperature under all loads.
We’ d be up for two 👍… but this👆
Different part mass and material properties will change vibrational response of the part, which may change loading on attachment points. Would avoid powder coated steel in favour of stainless or aluminium, and look to minimise mass. Stainless has better fatigue resistance and higher mass & thermal resistance - if relevant. I haven’t yet looked at the part/location irl….

I don't know the part well as I don't have an FSI, but could a 3D printed part be a cost effective alternative? It may not have the same longevity as s/s, or even the original, but I'm guessing it would be a lot cheaper to produce.

From Google, stainless has a lower thermal expansion than PA66 GF30, and a higher thermal conductivity. I don't think a little thermal loss along the pipe will be a problem, as, being in a warm area, the differential temperature will not be high.
Mac.

Screenshot_20231027_184700_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ok, so having spoken to Andy, it is highly doable.
I haven't proposed making it flexible yet. Been discussing other things:
The pump end has a specific seal. Is this available separately?
The clip that holds 30 into 29 above. He needs one to ensure it works. Is this available? Or anyone have a spare? I have a spare thermostat housing I can send him.
Stainless/plastic mix is not a problem. He has replaced this material pipe before.

He would rather a bulk order, and have one person responsible for distribution than deal with him directly at the moment.
If this runs into hundreds of units, he will deal with orders himself.

Any questions anyone???

Back