Engine replacement from AUA to BBY

Xzorot

Hi! As some of you probably know I bought a 02' 1.4 A2 with an AUA engine that is bad. I am mainly looking for a good 1.4 tdi car with good service history now, but have been offered a BBY engine (A2 platform) for fair price. Does anybody have a guide for engine swapping from AUA - > BBY? Have heard that they are mechanically similar with the difference being the ignition (coil vs individual packs).. My car has an MOT for another 1.5 years so it is a bit sad if I were to get rid of it. Have searched the forums but not found similar posts...

The AUA and BBY engines have different engine wiring harnesses. There may be other differences. Use 7zap.

RAB

Hi! As some of you probably know I bought a 02' 1.4 A2 with an AUA engine that is bad. I am mainly looking for a good 1.4 tdi car with good service history now, but have been offered a BBY engine (A2 platform) for fair price. Does anybody have a guide for engine swapping from AUA - > BBY? Have heard that they are mechanically similar with the difference being the ignition (coil vs individual packs).. My car has an MOT for another 1.5 years so it is a bit sad if I were to get rid of it. Have searched the forums but not found similar posts...
Hi,
Yes the BBY does have individual coil packs. I would guess the engine wiring harness would be different as @RAB said. I'm not sure whether an Ecu tweak would be needed too.
James

The seller said that the replacement engine is complete with wiring and Ecu. It would however be easier if the harness was indeed identical. If not, I might need to pull the dash to access everything which might make the job way more time consuming...

Hi,

The forum search is poor better to use Google 'a2oc AUA to BBY engine swap', doing so reveals a good person to talk to is SEA2driver who produced a PDF guide, liked in the first post here...

Hope that helps.

Andy

Edit. Just noticed your donor BBY engine is from A2 so guide not as relevant as first thought, but SEA2driver seems a good contact as well as other links the Google search throws up.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot @Andrew! The post you provided from @SEA2Driver linked me to the german forums which explains all the differences between the AUA and BBY engine in detail! ? Maybe I should try to make a rough translation for other english speakers to follow in the future.
Best regards X

Guide is still relevant even though the donor BBY engine is from an A2. But you don't need to change the oil pan and thermostat housing. Otherwise follow the guide.

Back