Footwell heating AWOL

3wheeler

Hi I've done a search by found no real answer- perhaps someone is able to point me in the direction of how to solve why my footwell heating isn't. I get heating from main vents and demist vents, but when the footwell heating button is pressed on the climate control the hot air continues to come out of the main vents. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Andy

Hi I've done a search by found no real answer- perhaps someone is able to point me in the direction of how to solve why my footwell heating isn't. I get heating from main vents and demist vents, but when the footwell heating button is pressed on the climate control the hot air continues to come out of the main vents. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Andy
It'll probably be the flap that directs the flow of the footwell. Scan to confirm it. Flap motor or gearing between the two.
Mac.
Mac

Be prepared for multiple errors regarding climate unit. I would erase and start again to try and capture the right error.
The motors are common issues, you can buy individual motors that are clipped to the side of the hvac unit. Usually in banks of two.
Look up the threads here for replacement methods as you need to align gear teeth when reinstalling.
Some motors are common across the vag polo and some were updated on later cars see do as much homework as possible before attempting.
Motors cost about 30-50£

One last thing to check is to drop glove box out (remembering the lightbulb wire) and check the little plastic deflector is in place and not loose from the fan to the footwell. It's very flimsy and only one screw on the passenger side, this may be part of issue.

Knee pads essential sir.

Have you tried the multiple switching between zone fix allowing the system time to switch to each zone (30 seconds)
Try to repeat 10 or so times normally fixes this issue in most cases.
Hope this helps
Keith.

Great, thanks Mac. I have just downloaded the lite software and got a cable off EBay. So will try it out on my first scan!
Make sure you install the correct driver for the KKL cable, (USB to serial), before plugging the cable in for the first time. Otherwise a standard USB driver will be allocated to the cable, which won't work.
Mac.

Make sure you install the correct driver for the KKL cable, (USB to serial), before plugging the cable in for the first time. Otherwise a standard USB driver will be allocated to the cable, which won't work.
Mac.
I had this my cable wouldnt talk to the climate unit, any links to driver?

I had this my cable wouldnt talk to the climate unit, any links to driver?

If the cable could read other controllers, then the driver is OK, I think.
Could try disconnecting the battery, to reset the climate controller.
If all else fails, see below.

I'm on xp, and used the attached. If you've already tried another driver, you'll need to remove the device (the cable), restart the PC, install the new driver, then restart again, with the cable plugged in, and it should pick the new driver you installed. Good luck.
Mac.

Attachments

• CH340 driver-20230228T094808Z-001.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 70
Have you tried the multiple switching between zone fix allowing the system time to switch to each zone (30 seconds)
Try to repeat 10 or so times normally fixes this issue in most cases.
Hope this helps
Keith.
I haven't tried it= how does it work? Just do feet-10s-face-10s-feet-10s-face-10s etc etc 10x ?

If the cable could read other controllers, then the driver is OK, I think.
Could try disconnecting the battery, to reset the climate controller.
If all else fails, see below.

I'm on xp, and used the attached. If you've already tried another driver, you'll need to remove the device (the cable), restart the PC, install the new driver, then restart again, with the cable plugged in, and it should pick the new driver you installed. Good luck.
Mac.
Thanks, I'll give this a try. The cars been sitting for 3 years, and had a new battery. So I suspect a lot will be freeing itself up. The drivers seatbelt now retracts for example :)

I start in Auto then press the footwell button, then the Auto, then the face vent button, then the Auto then the windscreen button followed by Auto. After selecting a button leave for say ten seconds then move onto the next button and again wait 10 seconds. You only either want the Auto button OR one of the selector buttons illuminated at any time. This can take a while but repeat for at least 10 minutes with the engine running. There is the possibility that motors or potentiometers have worn out and need replacing.

Bowl of warm water and a scoop of Oxi action, a nail brush and a clothes peg is how I clean dirty seat belts. Once clean and fully dry remove the trim panel below where the seat belt disappears into the B pillar. There is a metal bar that the belt rides behind remove this and clean and polish it then refit the bar and trim panel.

I start in Auto then press the footwell button, then the Auto, then the face vent button, then the Auto then the windscreen button followed by Auto. After selecting a button leave for say ten seconds then move onto the next button and again wait 10 seconds. You only either want the Auto button OR one of the selector buttons illuminated at any time. This can take a while but repeat for at least 10 minutes with the engine running. There is the possibility that motors or potentiometers have worn out and need replacing.

Bowl of warm water and a scoop of Oxi action, a nail brush and a clothes peg is how I clean dirty seat belts. Once clean and fully dry remove the trim panel below where the seat belt disappears into the B pillar. There is a metal bar that the belt rides behind remove this and clean and polish it then refit the bar and trim panel.
Great, thankyou- the interior is due a deep clean a full seats out job, but only in better weather/when I have finished fitting the bathroom! I can do the climate jamboree though- its only done 67000 miles, but I suppose age could affect the actuators.

I do love my Rug Doctor Spot cleaner for the car. Before you remove the seats disconnect the battery for about 20 minutes. This will ensure that you do not cause a seat air bag issue. Also do not get the under seat plugs wet and when you plug them back in make sure none of the pins have been pushed out of position.

You may also need to have the Climate regassed as it does loose pressure naturally.

I do love my Rug Doctor Spot cleaner for the car. Before you remove the seats disconnect the battery for about 20 minutes. This will ensure that you do not cause a seat air bag issue. Also do not get the under seat plugs wet and when you plug them back in make sure none of the pins have been pushed out of position.

You may also need to have the Climate regassed as it does loose pressure naturally.
Thanks- the climate actually blows very cold. I will make sure I disconnect the battery for 20mins plus though, and rug doctor it will be!

It depends what you mean by "naturally". It only loses pressure through leaks. It's a sealed system (or should be!).

RAB

As the o rings inside the system age they flatten and SLOWLY leak. The worst seals are on the servicing valves. Audi perform an aircon service every two years on my other cars and by that point the pressure has dropped enough for them requiring a top up.

Just realised my A2 is doing the same, after not being used for some time.

I will try this 10 malarkey to see if this might help.

One thing I have realised is when the climate is in Auto there is also a groaning sound... it's the sound is not present when the unit is switched to 'Econ'.

From memory the climate control cooling side had stopped working some time before being being off the road.

Possible the climate is low on refrigerant. Does the radiator fan spin when you turn the climate on?

Well, tried the flicking the setting to feet, face, screen business and low and behold it's working again. T

The groaning sound has gone as well.

There is no cooling, but I will investigate this once the other jobs are out the way. Also the radiator fan didn't spin when climate was on, but the engine was cold if this makes a difference?

Back