Getting your early Audi a2 ULEZ passed

celsisone

I have had a couple of people now ask me how I got my X reg Audi a2 Ulez passed.
So I have listed it here.

Very easy to do.

sent this to the email below.

[email protected]

Dear sir, I am requiring a certificate of conformity statement of compliance with emissions statement for my Audi A2

Reg:—————-
Vin number:——————————

Your name and address

I am the registered owner and keeper.

They will take upto 6 weeks to reply by email and post .

Once you receive it you can sent on to TFL along with picture of the log book and your done

Reactions: RZX
All cars from 2001 petrol are fine, this is for all the early 2000 cars
So does that mean that your V5 now shows Euro 4, when it was Euro 3 or just that they agree that it meets the Euro 4 emissions value. My understanding (and experience) is that the former is not possible.

In Germany, the emission sticker you get is determined by the emission values alone. In France, it's even worse than the UK. Your sticker is determined by the year of first registration. So a 1999 Euro 4 gets a Euro 3 sticker! One reason why I went electric!

RAB

All Audi A2 are Euro 4, it wasn’t required on V5 so was not put on here till 2001.

So all cars registered in 2000 don’t have it on the V5 document.

All Audi A2 are Euro 4, it wasn’t required on V5 so was not put on here till 2001.

So all cars registered in 2000 don’t have it on the V5 document.
Neither my 2004 FSI, nor 2005 TT had Euro anything on the original V5C. I went through the same process, of CoCs and emissions statements from Audi, and updated V5C, with Euro 4. I believe the Euro Status only became mandatory on 2006 model year cars.
This was discussed extensively, on here last year, and I think early A2 diesels cannot be upgraded to Euro 4 from Euro 3.
Mac.

Does this mean early TDI's could get the £30 yearly road tax rate?
No because that is decided by CO2 emissions only. That's why a 1.2Tdi (nominally Euro 3 but Euro 4 for emissions) gets free road tax.

RAB

The ULEZ standard is about NOx and particulates, so for diesels you need Euro 6, petrols Euro 4 and motorcyles (for some unknown reason) only Euro 3.

RAB

Early diesel 1.4 cars registered before March 2001 fell into a different road taxation pricing. This changed after march 2001 when the 1.4 tdi became eligible for £30 road fund licence. This was a UK government change and as such very little chance the early cars will drop their taxation down to £30 from the £180 per annum.

Ironically this is around the same time the UK government actively encouraged diesel car ownership.

Early diesel 1.4 cars registered before March 2001 fell into a different road taxation pricing. This changed after march 2001 when the 1.4 tdi became eligible for £30 road fund licence. This was a UK government change and as such very little chance the early cars will drop their taxation down to £30 from the £180 per annum.

Ironically this is around the same time the UK government actively encouraged diesel car ownership.
Not entirely true. If you imported a qualifying diesel that was first registered before March 2001 and did so before March 2012, you would still qualify for CO2 rated taxation. If VW hadn't been late with the delivery of my 2001 Lupo 3L, we would have had a 2001 Lupo without zero VED and a 1999 Lupo with! Bureaucratic nonsense! If a car has a CoC it should qualify, regardless of date of registration. Otherwise early adopters are penalised - for whatever reason.

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello - first, celsisone, thank you for the instructions and the link. I had no idea it was possible to get my 2004 A2 1.6 FSI exempted but the Bristol ULEZ has prompted action. Anyway, I got the certificate from Audi and began the application today. I keep on being asked for the "original" document (even though it's an online process). I am wondering if the German language element is the problem. I don't suppose anyone knows the key information I am need to send? I think it's the bit I've screen shot here (attached). I am a big A2 fan but a moron when it comes to the mechanics! Thanks for any pointers! It'd be great if I could keep the car viable.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 16.42.57.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 16.42.57.png
    240.3 KB · Views: 129
No sure if this is relevant, but I got the necessary paperwork from VAG UK for a1.4 petrol and sent it of the DVLA to add the Euro 4 notification.
Took a while but came back with the correct annotation.

Thanks, simufly, I've got the VAG email and associated CoC but the DVLA online application is proving sticky. Did you send the physical paperwork to the DVLA via post? Anyone know if I am barking up the wrong tree with a 1.6? Thanks

Thanks, simufly, I've got the VAG email and associated CoC but the DVLA online application is proving sticky. Did you send the physical paperwork to the DVLA via post? Anyone know if I am barking up the wrong tree with a 1.6? Thanks
I found that DVLA would only accept real paper. Both the TT and the A2 V5Cs came back, (eventually), as Euro 4.
Mac.

Nice one, Mac. Is your A2 a 1.6 by any chance? Just wondering if I'm going through the aggro pointlessly. Hopefully not!

If you only want it for Bristol you might be able to inform them directly. You can with the London ulez

Thank you - it's London and Bristol. London (TfL) allows you to load up all the docs. The Bristol one links to the DVLA, which is more painful. London not approved yet so that might be a headache too.

Back