How many A2s have been stolen?

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
I ask the question as the Tracker people just rang me and said my A2's Tracker was failing to respond. It was fitted by the dealer in 2004 and I transferred it to myself in 2005.

I'm not surprised the battery is weak though I would have thought the signal would be strong as it is also powered by the main battery. I think it was just salesperson's patter to get me to replace it. New price is £350 and I was offered £199 including fitting and vat. I said I would think about it and that I've not heard of any A2s being stolen.

Plenty of cats stolen and I think some wheels but doing a search on A2OC looks like one or two member's cars have been stolen. I recall I paid for the transfer as the blurb said insurance companies give a discount but I then found the insurers I rang said no way, it's not a Ferrari or Porsche!

I have a tracking unit fitted to all my cars . the units Ive used were supplied by a company called TruTrak... to whom I have no affiliation! All seem to work well; Only £30 or so for the unit, simple DIY fix , two wires if I remember ... LIVE not switched and earth to connect.... Register device online then a £6 monthly sub. Allows you to have an app and view / record journeys , see where you were speeding or not etc... You can find them on ebay... Could be a cheaper alternative...? I agree unsure insurers discount premiums for having one fitted ...

I've known one or two A2,s that (unbeknown to their owners) have had trackers fitted from new. They were fitted to some demo cars probably as an insurance measure. Timmus pointed out many years ago one fitted to Audrey and removed it. When I say fitted it was mostly held in the CCCU compartment with gaffer tape.

Last edited:
I've known one or two A2,s that (unbeknown to their owners) have had trackers fitted from new. They were fitted to some demo cars probably as an insurance measure. Timmus pointed out many years ago one fitted to Audrey. When I say fitted it was mostly held in the CCCU compartment with gaffer tape.
Coincidentally, I removed another identical such unit today. That’s a total of 13 defunct dealership trackers that I’ve removed.
The method of installation is almost always the same, in terms of fixing and electrics, so I imagine that a dealership installation manual was issued.
There’s no longer a valid subscription, and I’ve known these units to cause battery drain and other issues, so I always remove them and repair any wiring damage.

Cheers,

Tom

Speaking for Norway; I have never locked my car in 6 years, have obviously no tracker and just the mandatory insurance so 100% my loss if something happens. The immobiliser is btw also disabled. Have left it for days at airport parkings etc. The car is still outside my house.

Who wants to steal such a car I wonder?

Also have a Mercedes C350e; do not lock that car neither in the town I live.

Speaking for Norway; I have never locked my car in 6 years
Also have a Mercedes C350e; do not lock that car neither in the town I live.
If I didn't lock the car, I'm quiet sure one day I'd find someone sleep in it or some kids throwing rubbish and stuff in there.

I have an annual call from Tracker to try to convince me to fit a new device.
They advise that the battery is at X% and they will do me a deal on a new Tracker. I say but the device works fine otherwise; they confirm. I advise the car is laid up for the winter and I will connect the main battery to boost the Tracker. They go away.
Car bought new 2007 with life time Tracker deal. They must hate it.

I have a tracking unit fitted to all my cars . the units Ive used were supplied by a company called TruTrak... to whom I have no affiliation! All seem to work well; Only £30 or so for the unit, simple DIY fix , two wires if I remember ... LIVE not switched and earth to connect.... Register device online then a £6 monthly sub. Allows you to have an app and view / record journeys , see where you were speeding or not etc... You can find them on ebay... Could be a cheaper alternative...? I agree unsure insurers discount premiums for having one fitted ...
Trutrak (no affiliation or experience) have a pay as you go service where they state "You can buy and apply a Top-Up at any time giving you total flexibility in its usage. No hidden fees". So my my question to this customer is: Could you buy a unit and then only top up the PAYG if/when it's stolen?

Trutrak (no affiliation or experience) have a pay as you go service where they state "You can buy and apply a Top-Up at any time giving you total flexibility in its usage. No hidden fees". So my my question to this customer is: Could you buy a unit and then only top up the PAYG if/when it's stolen?
In theory... yes . assuming it was somewhere where you could get a signal from. having a current subscription should enable you to track its jourmey to where it now is

Or where it was put into a steel container. Yes that's a fair point, if you're not paying the subscription and the stolen car is put into a steel container before you get the tracker activated then it's not much use. Though an A2 would not likely get this treatment, some more expensive cars might.
With the lack of service offered by the police these days (to find your stolen car) it seems to me that a relatively small one off fee (£40) and no ongoing charge for the privilege of being able to geo-locate your car at will for a further £6, looks good value.

Just my "value" opinion. Thanks again to these pages for informing about something useful in the world.

Trevor

Yes it should do exactly what you want.... I have a sub running, but I have forgotten to top up and when I do the tracking resumes from the date I top up. ... I was thinking more multi storey or underground car park, but probably ore accurate it would be in a shipping container if ever stolen .

Good Luck :)

Back