In car bluetooth/aux

Renners87

Morning,

Hope all are well?

I'm just wondering if any of you have added bluetooth or aux 3.5mm to the standard concert head unit?

Is this even possible?

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

Liam

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Morning,

Hope all are well?

I'm just wondering if any of you have added bluetooth or aux 3.5mm to the standard concert head unit?

Is this even possible?

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

Liam

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
Concert I or II?
Mac.

You can add easily using the CD changer outlet of the concert 2, I use this to stream and make calls etc. works well

Either version of the Concert HU will run a CD-changer. It's only the first-generation Chorus that won't. CD-changer emulator options start at a simple Connect-2 unit for 3.5mm, moving up to BT call/streaming solutions with folders for MP3's like the Xcarlink. There's also an Audi OEM module that can be fitted to give you full BT streaming control.

I Have a 1.4 TDI from 2004 with the chorus. Any pointers so a bluetooth device i can plug into the back of the screen/tape/media control panel. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Seen others suggest a bluetooth to fm thing that you can plug into the 12V hole next to the handbrake, would much rather something out of eyesight, also my 12V hole hasnt worked for a while

I Have a 1.4 TDI from 2004 with the chorus. Any pointers so a bluetooth device i can plug into the back of the screen/tape/media control panel. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Seen others suggest a bluetooth to fm thing that you can plug into the 12V hole next to the handbrake, would much rather something out of eyesight, also my 12V hole hasnt worked for a while
Evening,

First up is to address is the lack of power to your 12v socket under the handbrake lever, please fully remove fuse 12 (15A) and inspect it for condition:

0FD151C8-DBD0-4B83-BF12-6FE14C12920D.jpeg

The cig lighter fuse is pre-ignition and as such powered continuously regardless of if the key is in the ignition or not. An easy enough task to conduct. If the fuse is okay then there could well be a fault elsewhere which will require further investigation.

As for a plug and play module for hands free calling and Bluetooth streaming with your Chorus 2, there are quite a few modules available to assist you. There are some cheap options but in general the Connects2 and the Xcarlink provide adequate functionality for the money, but not perfect at both.

I've personally used the Xcarlink (Bluetooth variant) for a few years before upgrading my dashboard to a Double DIN arrangement to retrofit a RNS-E head unit. The Xcarlink was pretty good at streaming but its weakness was handsfree calling which I guess is the same with most aftermarket options. Regardless of where I located the microphone, I never had perfect clarity calling which became annoying which led me down the Double DIN dashboard/RNS-E route.

The RNS-E PU is of course the best possible enhancement for both hands free and streaming clarity with additional factory peripherals.

Happy to discuss further and provide links if required.

Kind regards,

Tom

The blutooth adapters that plug into the 12v sockets frequently cause interference and even other electrical issues so not the route to go down.

I would agree with 'mti' that the best solution is to connect the Bluetooth adaptor via the CDC (changer) input. The alternative relies on the FM transmission method which is most definitely inferior in every way

Thanks guys really appreciate all the advice and pointers. Had a read through the thread mtl sent. Does anyone know of a way to have both the cd changer and Bluetooth going?

Thanks guys really appreciate all the advice and pointers. Had a read through the thread mtl sent. Does anyone know of a way to have both the cd changer and Bluetooth going?
Evening,

As you have a 2004 A2 with Chorus then I can only but assume that it’s a Chorus 2. This has the ability to run both a CD Changer and BT module. I had this exact set up in my old commuter before swapping dashboards and moving to a RNS—E.

The reason why @mtl is unable to run both maybe down to him possibly having an A2 with a Generation I Chorus or the BT module chosen.

Kind regards,

Tom

Possibly more the available connectors on the gear being used. To have both you would need the ability to split the cd changer port in the head unit then connect the changer and the adapter into each branch. Those cheap units do not have that function available.....

Possibly more the available connectors on the gear being used. To have both you would need the ability to split the cd changer port in the head unit then connect the changer and the adapter into each branch. Those cheap units do not have that function available.....
Evening Graham,

Its been a while Sir, hope all is well. Yes totally agree that the cheaper BT dongle items won’t have the necessary interface to run both. I guess this is why other members have struggles to utilise both audio sources, it makes sense.

@16DonleJ, the exact circumstances where I had both the factory boot mounted CD Changer and an aftermarket Bluetooth handsfree/streaming device were enabled by the Xcarlink. Very similar to the Connects2. The cheaper options just won’t do this for you. You get what you pay for I guess but on the flip side, how often would a CD be played if withq millions of tracks, podcasts or audiobooks available from the device you’re streaming from.

Kind regards,

Tom

Reactions: mtl
Exactly, cheaper adapters do not keep the use of CD changer. You need to decide what you need.
I would just like to know what is the quality of the sound with these BT adapters, because the quality of CD is great in A2 and would really miss it. Although, I am slowly getting feed up with listening the same old music via CD player :). I will probably order the german BT module and see how it goes.

Evening,

As you have a 2004 A2 with Chorus then I can only but assume that it’s a Chorus 2. This has the ability to run both a CD Changer and BT module. I had this exact set up in my old commuter before swapping dashboards and moving to a RNS—E.

The reason why @mtl is unable to run both maybe down to him possibly having an A2 with a Generation I Chorus or the BT module chosen.

Kind regards,

Tom
Hi Tom

I have the Symphony II - after a recent promotion I need a good handsfree option for taking calls. Are there any fitting guides for the connects2 or xcarlink?

Hi Tom

I have the Symphony II - after a recent promotion I need a good handsfree option for taking calls. Are there any fitting guides for the connects2 or xcarlink?
Evening,

The instructions supplied with the Xcarlink SKU718 (Bluetooth) are all you need to have it up and running. It’s a very quick enhancement to install and all fits nicely behind the head unit.

More than happy to assist with fitting over a phone call if you get stuck but don’t think you will. This really is a DIY installation.

Have a look at this thread to confirm the item I’m talking about:

As you’re seeking thebXcarlink then you’ll probably already know or have read that it acts as a CD changer and as such your Symphony must be correctly coded to ensure it works. The only hurdle might be this coding if you don’t have access to VCDS. Changing the code to enable CD Changer is simple enough if it’s not already coded for it. Here’s a link to the Ross-Rech website that shows the Generation II head unit coding. Below for ease:

A1EFB492-A24C-4A15-90C6-5790EF33AD8B.jpeg

Anyone with VCDS will be able to very quickly check the coding for you. If you’ve got an old scan report then you can also check this to see if your Symphony actually requires further coding.

Any further questions then please do ask.

Kind regards,

Tom

Evening,

The instructions supplied with the Xcarlink SKU718 (Bluetooth) are all you need to have it up and running. It’s a very quick enhancement to install and all fits nicely behind the head unit.

More than happy to assist with fitting over a phone call if you get stuck but don’t think you will. This really is a DIY installation.

Have a look at this thread to confirm the item I’m talking about:

As you’re seeking thebXcarlink then you’ll probably already know or have read that it acts as a CD changer and as such your Symphony must be correctly coded to ensure it works. The only hurdle might be this coding if you don’t have access to VCDS. Changing the code to enable CD Changer is simple enough if it’s not already coded for it. Here’s a link to the Ross-Rech website that shows the Generation II head unit coding. Below for ease:

View attachment 101847

Anyone with VCDS will be able to very quickly check the coding for you. If you’ve got an old scan report then you can also check this to see if your Symphony actually requires further coding.

Any further questions then please do ask.

Kind regards,

Tom
Wow thank you for such a comprehensive reply!

Wow thank you for such a comprehensive reply!
Hi again Froggy,

Always more than happy to help out where I can.

Sharing knowledge is exactly what the Clubs pages are brilliant for so why not share such helpful information. If this take on community spirit assists you to have what you desire then these pages have served the intended purpose, hopefully others can also learn at the same time to have a go at these easier enhancements. It really is straight forward.

Good luck with your upgrade and you know where I am should you have a question.

Kind regards,

Tom

Evening Graham,

Its been a while Sir, hope all is well. Yes totally agree that the cheaper BT dongle items won’t have the necessary interface to run both. I guess this is why other members have struggles to utilise both audio sources, it makes sense.

@16DonleJ, the exact circumstances where I had both the factory boot mounted CD Changer and an aftermarket Bluetooth handsfree/streaming device were enabled by the Xcarlink. Very similar to the Connects2. The cheaper options just won’t do this for you. You get what you pay for I guess but on the flip side, how often would a CD be played if withq millions of tracks, podcasts or audiobooks available from the device you’re streaming from.

Kind regards,

Tom
@2work You mentioned that Xcarlink sold something that would let me use bluetooth and the cd player, do you remember specifically which kit i need to buy to do so. Thanks in advance.

Back