Event end date: Sunday 2023-09-10
Registration ends: Friday 2023-09-08
# Username Guest count Note
1 Proghound Proghound 2  
2 Dave M Dave M 2  
3 N NLS14M 1  
4 murdo murdo 1  
5 RZX RZX 2  
6 Charles Charles 1 Just coming for the drive not the meal!
7 wills wills 2  

Teresa

Social Secretary
European-Union
Huge apologies for the delay in posting this. Those who have attended previously know that we had exclusive use of a camp site to use as a base, and place to stay, for those tent minded of us. Sadly Jude, the campsite owner passed away earlier this year, so we were on the lookout for a new base.

As we had several lovely meals at the Rokeby Inn nearby and some had stayed in their rooms, we were looking to remove the camping element and use the Rokeby as a base.

We were finalising the plans when very tragically, Sophie, the daughter of Lindsey and Charles at the Rokeby, suddenly passed away.

Although the Rokeby remains open for food, we are unsure whether they are open for rooms, so decided to have a smaller 1 day meet up, drive out and lunch, rather than a full weekend.

We hope to run a full weekend next year and thank you for your patience this year

Afternoon Teresa,

Just registered but only tentative at this time. My attendance unfortunately depends on the readiness of the JR A2 as I have a few things to finish off before it’s at any social. Be good to see you all though as I missed the start of the season meal.

Kind regards,

Tom

Huge apologies for the delay in posting this. Those who have attended previously know that we had exclusive use of a camp site to use as a base, and place to stay, for those tent minded of us. Sadly Jude, the campsite owner passed away earlier this year, so we were on the lookout for a new base.

As we had several lovely meals at the Rokeby Inn nearby and some had stayed in their rooms, we were looking to remove the camping element and use the Rokeby as a base.

We were finalising the plans when very tragically, Sophie, the daughter of Lindsey and Charles at the Rokeby, suddenly passed away.

Although the Rokeby remains open for food, we are unsure whether they are open for rooms, so decided to have a smaller 1 day meet up, drive out and lunch, rather than a full weekend.

We hope to run a full weekend next year and thank you for your patience this year
Just registering my possible attendance in regards to work giving me the day off

Hello everyone. A quick plug for this condensed social from previous years events. We will have an afternoon meeting and drive on the Sunday through beautiful North Yorkshire.
We have a drive route being planned by one of Spike's friends. I'm sure our Graham would approve. There's an optional visit to Kirby Hill Churchyard to pay respects to the great man and much missed A2OC ambassador.
May I also request a show of hands for lunch on the Sunday so I can arrange a booking? I'll post up specific details on meeting location and timings once I have a chat with Graham's widow Jan who will come along with us on the drive.
Although this is a memorial day for Spike it's not a sombre occasion. It'll be a celebration of life and an A2OC stalwart and original member. Knowing the man himself isn't a pre requisite - so if you fancy tagging along to chat all things A2 and enjoy a pleasant Sunday drive please feel very welcome. 🥰😀

Last edited:
A wee reminder for Graham . A photo of him and one of his wife Jan at last years social.
Screenshot_20230814_194350_Messenger.jpg
received_1204426657067259.jpeg

Hello everyone. A quick plug for this condensed social from previous years events. We will have an afternoon meeting and drive on the Sunday through beautiful North Yorkshire.
We have a drive route being planned by one of Spike's friends. I'm sure our Graham would approve. There's an optional visit to Kirkby Hill Churchyard to pay respects to the great man and much missed A2OC ambassador.
May I also request a show of hands for lunch on the Sunday so I can arrange a booking? I'll post up specific details on meeting location and timings once I have a chat with Graham's widow Jan who will come along with us on the drive.
Although this is a memorial day for Spike it's not a sombre occasion. It'll be a celebration of life and an A2OC stalwart and original member. Knowing the man himself isn't a pre requisite - so if you fancy tagging along to chat all things A2 and enjoy a pleasant Sunday drive please feel very welcome. 🥰😀
Count Lynette & myself in for lunch please Murdo. We'll stay somewhere after the Derbyshire social the day before and make our way up in the morning.

We have a drive route being planned by one of Spike's friends. I'm sure our Graham would approve. There's an optional visit to Kirkby Hill Churchyard to pay respects to the great man and much missed A2OC ambassador.
Thanks for the update, we certainly hope to attend.

Morning Murdo,

Book me in for the meal also please. Be great to attend as it’ll be my first social of the year after a rather busy period.

Kind regards,

Tom

I've emailed Rokeby Inn regarding our lunch booking. Will keep you posted on confirmation and any menu requirements. We've started meetings at Rokeby previously. Very handy for the A66 and excellent car park and facilities.

Itinerary plans ( subject to some alterations)

Meet at Rokeby Inn around 1130 for a chat and some photos. Lunch 1200-1300 (tbc).

Afternoon Drive /loop

From Rokeby Inn turn left on A 66 follow signs for Barnard Castle. At traffic lights right to Largington
Through to Cotherstone turn left to Hunderthwaite
Through Hury then turn right to Grassholme
Over the reservoir and right to Middleton in Teesdale
To Stanhope then Frosterley
Before Wolsinghsm turn right to Bedburn
Woodland to Egglestone then Barnard Castle. Return to Rokeby Inn and visit to Dalton Village and Kirby Hill Church ( Optional)

Finish around 1600

It would be nice to see a few more people at this event, as a "Spike Memorial". I can assure you at some point you have had some brilliant succinct advice (even if you are fairly new reading old threads) from this greatly missed member. It's a beautiful part of the country too, so what's not to like.

I tried to do that recently but couldn't find him. I live in Kirby Hill so he is at our local church.
Hi Phil. He's in the old section just behind the church. Photos of location are on the 'final journey' thread. I'm fairly sure there's a headstone or marker stone there now. 😢

Hi folks. Rokeby Inn has confirmed our booking for 10 September so we will have lunch 1230 then proceed for a leisurely afternoon drive in the heart of some beautiful countryside.

No request made for pre booking so got an idea of the Rokebys fare , here is a link to their menu

We have a drive route being planned by one of Spike's friends. I'm sure our Graham would approve. There's an optional visit to Kirby Hill Churchyard to pay respects to the great man and much missed A2OC ambassador.

Hi Murdo, I first met Spike two years ago when in the barn and Timmus was doing some work on my car. It was a really great weekend and I loved chatting with Spike, he was a real backbone to the club and his knowledge on the A2 and where to find files on even more was fantastic. He guided me a lot in my early A2 days and I really appreciate him still.
I understand the reasons for this year’s format but it would be great if next year we could get back to a two day event with Timmus in residence. It really helps to get the numbers up.
I don’t expect to make it this year as I just had a knee op and I’ve been told I won’t be driving or at least not driving far by then.

Hi everyone, we have booked 2 nights at Holiday Inn near Mansfield for that weekend. I admit to be slightly confused what social we were planned, I hope we can do both Peak District and North Yorkshire... Somehow 😵‍💫
Next step internal consultation.

Back