OEM Audi Tyre Specification

3wheeler

Hi I suspect my tyres -although Pirelli and other mixed good brands- are out of data, two getting cracked sidewalls. It think I will replace all four at once (I know, moneybags!) and refurb the alloys at the same time. Does anyone know what the brand was that was supplied with the cars? It would have been tested on the A2s, and so probably will still be the best for the car. Thats my theory anyway!

Hi I suspect my tyres -although Pirelli and other mixed good brands- are out of data, two getting cracked sidewalls. It think I will replace all four at once (I know, moneybags!) and refurb the alloys at the same time. Does anyone know what the brand was that was supplied with the cars? It would have been tested on the A2s, and so probably will still be the best for the car. Thats my theory anyway!
Evening,

Someone like Neil @A2Z will hopefully be along to suggest an answer. I’ve always seen him as very knowledgeable regards wheels and tyres.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hello again,

Whilst you’re waiting for others to contribute, have a look at this yesteryear thread:

Kind regards,

Tom

Evening,

Someone like Neil @A2Z will hopefully be along to suggest an answer. I’ve always seen him as very knowledgeable regards wheels and tyres.

Kind regards,

Tom
Hi Tom, thats great I will message A2Z Neil. He's already been really helpful! Thanks :)

Good Evening,

Tyre design has moved on twenty years since the first A2, why hanker after tyres twenty years out of date and likely long been not made anymore anyway. Do your research and buy the best you can afford and never budget tyres.

Andy

Agreed - the logic behind the sweeping statement in the original post is flawed to say the least.

Good morning.

Sorry for my delayed response to this but we've had a few days away in our trusty steed clocking up some miles around beautiful Devon and Dorset and only got home late last night, unfortunately hitting a substantial pothole on the A34 on the way back that i need to check hasn't caused any wheel, tyre or suspension damage although fortunately didn't cause any disruption to our journey, so 🤞

I understand and commend your thinking regarding trying to maintain the quality of keeping the car original but when it comes to tyres I'm afraid manufactures don't always fit what necessarily is the best but often what they can get the best deal on from a certain manufacturer.

The original tyres on the 16" 6 spoke SE wheels were indeed the Pirelli P6000 Powergy in 185/50R16 81V variety but they were pretty poor and suffered premature crazing and cracking of the rubber compound, evident in the sidewalls and between the treads but worse still suffered stepping where the tread wears unevenly which causes amongst other things excessive noise and an uncomfortable ride.

That said I have also had original 16" 5 spoke SE wheels fitted with Dunlop SP Sport 9000 tyres from new in the same size which possibly supports my theory regarding fitting what they can get the best deal on at the time but obviously also could be down to availability or that they realised some tyres weren't too clever and changed to another brand.

As others have said tyres have come a long way in recent years and even the budget tyres now are generally much better than they were and in fact most use the mould patterns from older premium brand tyres so aren't anywhere near as bad or plain dangerous as they once were, not that I'm recommending using them at all btw.

Unfortunately because the factory 185/50 16 size isn't mass produced as they are only used by a few models of cars and therefore produced in very low volumes they tend to be expensive so best bet is to do your homework and check reviews and the tyre labels on a site such as Camskill.co.uk who I use and post options that you're contemplating buying on here before you do

I hope that helps a little 👍

Last edited:
Agreed - the logic behind the sweeping statement in the original post is flawed to say the least.
Hi Thanks, and please let me explain my logic. When I design cars for my job, we design the wheels to fit tyres. Normally there is a tie-up between manufacturers. For example, in a previous job, the tyres were designed specifically for the car. The cars are then tested with the manufacturers also testing and developing at the same time too- even if the tyre is already a size in production. This ensures the best dynamics for the car, and the best performance for the tyres. This was so 25 years ago when the A2 was in development. As you know, it was a very technologically advanced car in many ways, and in many, very basic. Economy was paramount, and having an aluminium structure, so would be NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) and ride. Tyres are key to this. Citroen in 1955 developed their DS with Michelin, a tyre company that owned them.
So, even though there are 25 years in between the design and development of the car, and tyres have advanced significantly, there are still threads of originality and thought behind my statement.
I hope you can see where I was coming from, being in the industry myself, I would like to experience my 'find' for what it is- an engineering and design marvel. Buying all four at once, I want to get it right too.

Last edited:
Reactions: A2Z
Good morning.

Sorry for my delayed response to this but we've had a few days away in our trusty steed clocking up some miles around beautiful Devon and Dorset and only got home late last night, unfortunately hitting a substantial pothole on the A34 on the way back that i need to check hasn't caused any wheel, tyre or dudpension damage 🤞

I understand and commend your thinking regarding trying to maintain the quality of keeping the car original but when it comes to tyres I'm afraid manufactures don't always fit what necessarily is the best but often what they can get the best deal on from a certain manufacturer.

The original tyres on the 16" 6 spoke SE wheels were indeed the Pirelli P6000 Powergy in 185/50R16 81V variety but they were pretty poor and suffered premature crazing and cracking of the rubber compound, evident in the sidewalls and between the treads but worse still suffered stepping where the tread wears evenly which causes amongst other things excessive noise and an uncomfortable ride.

That said I have also had original 16" 5 spoke SE wheels fitted with Dunlop SP Sport 9000 tyres from new in the same size which possibly supports my theory regarding fitting what they can get the best deal on at the time but obviously also could be down to availability or that they realised some tyres weren't too clever and changed to another brand.

As others have said tyres have come a long way in recent years and even the budget tyres now are generally much better than they were and in fact most use the mould patterns from older premium brand tyres so aren't anywhere near as bad or plain dangerous as they once were, not that I'm recommending using them at all btw.

Unfortunately because the factory 185/50 16 size isn't mass produced as they are only used by a few models of cars and therefore produced in very low volumes they tend to be expensive so best bet is to do your homework and check reviews and the tyre labels on a site such as Camskill.co.uk who I use and post options that you're contemplating buying on here before you do

Thanks A2Z. Yes thats very helpful. I wanted to know some info like that and perhaps some historical knowledge I wasn't aware of. Thankyou!

Reactions: A2Z
Good morning.

Sorry for my delayed response to this but we've had a few days away in our trusty steed clocking up some miles around beautiful Devon and Dorset and only got home late last night, unfortunately hitting a substantial pothole on the A34 on the way back that i need to check hasn't caused any wheel, tyre or dudpension damage 🤞

The original tyres on the 16" 6 spoke SE wheels were indeed the Pirelli P6000 Powergy in 185/50R16 81V variety but they were pretty poor and suffered premature crazing and cracking of the rubber compound, evident in the sidewalls and between the treads but worse still suffered stepping where the tread wears evenly which causes amongst other things excessive noise and an uncomfortable ride.

Hi A2Z I have had a look, and there are 3 options. Historically, VW/Audi has used Continental as a tie-up and so this would be logical in more modern tyre terms. They are between £110 and £145 each. There is also Yokohama- known for their stickyness for grip but therefore a lack of durability. They come in at around £100 each. Lastly, I was considering Vredenstein as they are a good sensibly priced mid-range tyre and a good allrounder for most vehicles. I can't see Dunlops, but if you recommend them- I have to say because of the prevous brand tie-up I am tempted by Continental. Thanks :)

I bought my A2 TDi 75 SE new and can confirm it was supplied with Pirelli tyres. I can also confirm they were poor quality, one blow out at 80 mph on the motorway, ESP works very well thank goodness. A second blew out in the village not far from home. The remaining two developed sidewall bulges.
I believe I changed them for Michelins, then later Continentals. Both were very good tyres for commuting at speed. I no longer commute so have been using budget tyres. Nexen have been fine but my favorite budget was Kumho before they re-positioned themselves mid market. In the interests of safety, as the standard of driving deteriorates on our roads, I'm having two Kumhos fitted tomorrow to be followed later by a further two.

I bought my A2 TDi 75 SE new and can confirm it was supplied with Pirelli tyres. I can also confirm they were poor quality, one blow out at 80 mph on the motorway, ESP works very well thank goodness. A second blew out in the village not far from home. The remaining two developed sidewall bulges.
I believe I changed them for Michelins, then later Continentals. Both were very good tyres for commuting at speed. I no longer commute so have been using budget tyres. Nexen have been fine but my favorite budget was Kumho before they re-positioned themselves mid market. In the interests of safety, as the standard of driving deteriorates on our roads, I'm having two Kumhos fitted tomorrow to be followed later by a further two.
Awesome, thanks! Obviously, Pirelli were bad for that tyre! I'll take a look at Kumhos. Incidentally, on the back I have one 2015 Pirelli thats cracked and perished. The other tyres are all random makes and budgets spanning 2015 to 2019. Thanks for the recommendation!

Hi A2Z I have had a look, and there are 3 options. Historically, VW/Audi has used Continental as a tie-up and so this would be logical in more modern tyre terms. They are between £110 and £145 each. There is also Yokohama- known for their stickyness for grip but therefore a lack of durability. They come in at around £100 each. Lastly, I was considering Vredenstein as they are a good sensibly priced mid-range tyre and a good allrounder for most vehicles. I can't see Dunlops, but if you recommend them- I have to say because of the prevous brand tie-up I am tempted by Continental. Thanks :)

I currently have the Continental ContiEco 5's on my SE summer wheels and they've been pretty good although only a 'B' wet rating where I normally try to go for 'A' but they're expensive though.

I've bought cars in the past with both Kumho and Marshall on and tbh I was pleasantly surprised that they were pretty decent, especially the Kumho that I believe could be an older Continental pattern (but don't quote me on that).

Going off the attached link and wet and noise ratings, the Conti ultra contact stands out (but expensive and never used them), as do the Falkens, Nexens, Toyos and Kumhos, all depending on budget and your needs of course 👍

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks! Obviously, Pirelli were bad for that tyre! I'll take a look at Kumhos. Incidentally, on the back I have one 2015 Pirelli thats cracked and perished. The other tyres are all random makes and budgets spanning 2015 to 2019. Thanks for the recommendation!
I thought your choice of Continental was a good one. I just can't justify the cost for a car that goes to the shops and back.

The Kumhos do look a very good price to be fair and many others have reported good things and replaced with the same again 👍

Pirelli are a budget tyre manufacturer masquerading as a premium one in my opinion, I’ve seen nothing but bad or indifferent feedback on them from owners and tyre test resources.

Buy the best tyres you can afford for your car - the logic of buying the same brand as when new is flawed because of the point made above re: what was on offer as a deal to Audi at the time - plus as has been said tyres are evolving in engineering / technology all the time; plus the tyres were / are not the deciding factor in the A2’s ride and I’d rather be on the best available tyre tech now. For me that happens to be Michelin but others will have their opinions.

Pirelli are a budget tyre manufacturer masquerading as a premium one in my opinion, I’ve seen nothing but bad or indifferent feedback on them from owners and tyre test resources.

Buy the best tyres you can afford for your car - the logic of buying the same brand as when new is flawed because of the point made above re: what was on offer as a deal to Audi at the time - plus as has been said tyres are evolving in engineering / technology all the time; plus the tyres were / are not the deciding factor in the A2’s ride and I’d rather be on the best available tyre tech now. For me that happens to be Michelin but others will have their opinions.
You're right, things change. Tech changes -and maybe improves- I used to have Pirellis on my Mk2 Golf GTI. They were absolutely the best tyre. Then. For that car. Going with the original maufacturer has two points of advantage if the tyre the car was developed with - and not specified with afterwards to sell, as the cars were all making a loss- still has a legacy. This was a question of interest, but I suspect its down to common sense, preference and budget. Experience of them is why I asked here, as there are some very experienced people here who know the A2 inside out with practical knowledge, not fanciful designers ideas like me. So, I am going to go with Continental I think!
The advantages are: originality (if you're bothered), and dynamic capability as design intent.

@3wheeler I don't think you will regret going with Continental. I have tyre envy :( .

Slightly off topic but on the subject of tyre evolution, it both progresses and regresses. Take your MK2 Golf GTi (do you still have it?) supplied with Pirellis, very sticky but slightly heavy in the steering. Mine was supplied in 89 with Dunlops, not so sticky but nice steering. I upgraded them to Michelin MXV3A, what a transformation, ultra responsive steering, brought the car to life. Recently the only tyres available in the standard size are green tyres designed for low rolling resistance and fuel economy or rain tyres. The only tyres I could find with any sporting pretensions were Avons. Popular with MX2 drivers I hope they deliver when I get the car back on the road.

I currently have the Continental ContiEco 5's on my SE summer wheels and they've been pretty good although only a 'B' wet rating where I normally try to go for 'A'...

The wet rating is tested at about 20 degrees Centrigrade, so an A wet rating won't necessarily give you good wet grip in colder weather below about 9 degrees Centrigrade.

If you're going to use your tyres through the winter, it's important to have a tyre that has a balanced performance.

Most all-season tyres with a B or C wet rating, are going to have a lot more wet grip in colder weather than a summer tyre with an A wet rating. In colder weather, the summer tyre's wet grip will fall off a cliff even if it has an A wet rating.

In tyre reviews, the best tyres might not win any single category. However, they are the best because they don't do badly in any category and have the most balanced performance.

Here's a youtube video of a Peugeot 205 1.1i 60HP lapping the Nurburgring in 10 minutes 19 seconds on Vredestein Quatrac 5 155/70R13 75T all-season tyres. Many people might think that in the summer you need more grip than all-season tyres can provide, but unless you need to drive faster than this fella maybe you don't...and these aren't just all-season tyres, they're very skinny too.

Peugeot 205 1.1i (60 HP) - Nürburgring Nordschleife BTG lap in 10'19" on all-season tyres​

Vredestein Quatrac 5 155/70R13 75T

Last edited:
Back when the A2 was first produced I do not think that tyres were marked as OEM. This was due to certain countries favouring local manufacturers and a lack of guaranteed supplies from any single tyre manufacturer. More recently car manufacturers have had ( in the case of Audi ) AO as part of the tyre branding. It is quite possible that several car manufacturers will specify a tyre as OEM and thus have their markings on them.

My A1 has Vredestein Ultrac AO tyres fitted.

Last edited:
Back