Opensky broken - Help!

rogerg10

Hi all

Bit of a newby on here so firstly a big Hi to everyone....

Secondly, the wifes opensky failed to close and was pulling from one side only. To shut it, we had to push one side manually and the guys at the local audi dealer to wind the last couple of inches shut manually.

Ive been told by the garage that the cable has snapped, with a quote to fix it of over £1000!!!! Ive been told this job is not something you can do yourself, but there is no way I can justify spending 1000 on a car thats worth 4k!

Ive had a look on here for various opensky problems but couldnt find anything where the cable has ever snapped, therefore a couple of questions....

A) Does anyone have any experience of this problem and if so, did you manage to fix this as a DIY job?
B) Does anyone know of an independant garage who could take on this job?

I would really appreciate any info on this as currently its staying shut forever!

Cheers in advance....

Hi rogerg10, welcome to the A2oc
I don't think the cables are a service part so Audi would change the whole frame assy and re-use the motor and glass panels etc.
I'm not aware of any independent who has the expertese to fix open sky roofs.
Again, as far as I know, no club member has repaired a broken cable, although one was going to try
There is more info on this thread - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10636&highlight=open+sky+frame

Cheers Spike

Same happened to my A2. I'm afraid had same response from my Audi dealer (though the quoted price for repair was £1,400). Apparently a special rig is required. Calls to other garages (including independents who handle VW Audis) got similar response.

My A2 is Y reg, so repair is far too costly. Don't think there's an easy solution.

Considering the number of opensky roof problems that owners are reporting shouldn`t there be a re-call or at least a free repair as this unit would appear to have a design fault.
It took our local main dealer the best part of 2 months to completely cure my wifes broken opensky.
Luckily for her we knew that these were causing many people problems & that they were very expensive to repair so we took out the extended warranty.

last week i just fixed it :)
there is no problems to that at all if you are still in problem i'll take camera and will show how to fix it :)

Kedute - Any assistance with this would be really appreciated, was yours a broken cable?

Thanks everyone for the replies, I didnt know the opensky could be so problematic, shame as it really makes the car.

Hi,
I just spotted a used Audi A2 Open Sky Panoramic Roof Assembly on ebay.co.uk. Maybe of use to someone. Pop "Audi A2 Open Sky Panoramic Roof Assembly" into the search on ebay.co.uk for it to show up.

usual disclaimer. I'm not the seller, nor do i know the seller, just trying to be helpful.
N

Just had my Open-sky go pop. Same symptoms as yours. Quoted £900 for the parts only and apparently the job is labour intensive!
Did Kedute post their picture of a fix?

There may be some movement on the repair of OpenSky, so watch this space.

If possible, shut your roof using the wrench supplied and leave it that way for the time being.

One thing I must stress though is that regular maintenance of the roof is imperative to its longevity - clean and lubricate the rubbers on a bi-monthly or quarterly basis and if anything sticks when opening, don't keep pressing the button, as it will go pop.

Cheers,

Mike

There may be some movement on the repair of OpenSky, so watch this space.

If possible, shut your roof using the wrench supplied and leave it that way for the time being.

One thing I must stress though is that regular maintenance of the roof is imperative to its longevity - clean and lubricate the rubbers on a bi-monthly or quarterly basis and if anything sticks when opening, don't keep pressing the button, as it will go pop.

Cheers,

Mike

What lube is prefered/best for Opensky maintenance ?
i have wd40 and some silicone spray as well

Mike is there any progress on the "there maybe some movement on the repair of OpenSky"?

Mike is there any progress on the "there maybe some movement on the repair of OpenSky"?

At the moment Dan, no unfortunately. I am still hopeful though and will keep trying doors until I find the right one (he said figuratively!)

cheers

Mike

opensky problems

Well today...like an idiot...I decided to open the roof which hasnt been for a couple of months...so that it wouldnt get stuck. Well I wish I hadn't. It opened ok but when I tried to close it there were some cog/ratchet type slipping/grinding noises and it wouldnt close. I took it to Audi Eastbourne who had a quick look which was good of them as it was late on a friday and they were pretty busy/keen to go home ! They said it was out of alignment and couldnt close it. It started raining too...:mad: they quoted over a grand just for parts for a new one plus a lot of labour...this is just unacceptable to me. After mutch struggling I got it to almost close but I will have to cover it with a tarp or something as it's not fully down on one side. How do I close it manually please guys? Is there a winder somewhere? The motor works but the window seems to stick on one side or the other so if I manhandle it a bit I can get it open but it seems to fowl-up on the second piece of glass. Again i can get it to nearly close if I help it along but one corner just wont go in. Any help or advice would be gratefully received. I have sprayed everywhere with silicone spray. I am gutted having spent ages looking for an opensky model. Surely Audi could be more helpful as it doesnt help their reputation with all these not working or, as in my case, parked in plain view with a bit of tarp or bloody polythene over the roof to keep the rain out !!!:mad::mad::mad:

Oh dear not a good story to hear. I don't know where the manual close winder is I'm afraid, but I'd sure like to know as I have Open Sky too.

I wonder how many OSS's have failed now? Audi really should honour fixing these, it's a clear design fault.

Back