Project ‘Bob’ AKA ‘Bread-209’ 1.4SE

Modecorp

A2OC Donor
Thought I’d start a project thread on my 2004 petrol Dolphin Grey 1.4SE I purchased last Friday. As good a place as any to track my work ans ask questions.

‘Bob’ has 117k miles on the clock. I’m yet to list the sticker plate delivery options, but does have a stunning Bose hifi system with Bluemusic BT fitted in place of the multi CD changer, and light coloured (platinum?) fabric seats.

My aim is to slowly fix the things that need fixing and upgrade other areas, aiming for OEM+

Jobs to do to begin with are as follows:

- Timing belt, tensioners and water-pump (last done 2018/97k miles)
- Driver and passenger door check strap replacements
- Cupholders don’t stay sprung in. Have fashioned 2 x small rubber tabs to keep them retained for now.
- Two new rear tyres in a month or two
- Detail the bodywork - generally good condition, just a few imperfections
- Fix drivers side window and mirror switches as they don't currently operate passenger side window going down (it works going up?!), or mirror. (ordered new passenger side motor from @A2Steve)
- Clean the interior cream cloth seats.
- General health check of bushes etc
- Setup an Autodoc link for parts
- Keep an eye on the ABS light as it came on briefly the other day but disappeared after restart
- Get myself a VW/Audi diagnostic/reset tool. Ordered an XTool VAG401 from Alibaba and also looking to get VCDS on an old Macbook Pro I have via Bootcamp/Windows 10

I also love the Dune look that @A2Steve has achieved, so maybe a future mod to get the same or similar.

Today I added a Olixar phone holder modded with cheap eBay 15w MagSafe charge holder. Need to get a 3m USB C cable for routing through the trim to the centre 12v charge port. Ultimately I’m probably hardwire this into a non-hot fuse via piggyback in the fusebox. I’m right handed and always find it easier for my phone/nav to be that side of me when driving.

IMG_0191.jpeg
IMG_0192.jpeg

Last edited:
3m double ended 90 degree USB C cable arrived today. Temporary fix for stealth MagSafe charging until I can get around to fuse piggy-backing a new 12v usb port into the underside of the dash.

Ran the cable from the charger and down the side of the trim, under and past the fuse box and then down, under the foot mats and up under the drivers seat to the current 12v charge port.

A2 MagSafe.jpg

From the fuse box I fitted a power block that has 3 12v sockets and 3 USB sockets. I mounted this up under the steering column and is connected to ignition live. I use 1 USB for my phone, 1 USB for my built in Garmin sat nav. A 12v for my dash cam and another 12v for my detector. That leaves the 12 CIGGY socket free in the centre and my 12v socket in the boot for my cool box.

1693482553242.jpeg

The 12v plug is cut off and the positive connected to ign positive fuse and the negative to the nut near the fuse box.

Update after decoding delivery spec listed on the service book sticker. Doesn’t seem to list the Bose Concert, but that may be another code on the sticker I guess.

N0G = Fabric seat covering
NH = Didnt come up but guessing Soul option in rear as previously stated
E0A = No special edition
1KB = Drum brakes, rear
3FA = Without roof insert (standard roof)
F0A = No special purpose vehicle, standard equipment
T1Q = 4-cylinder gasoline engine 1.4 L unit 036.D (aluminum)
1MR = Leather steering wheel
7Q0 = Without navigation device
3L3 = Manual height adjustment for front seats
1SA = Without additional front underbody guard
0GG = Emission standard EU4
J0L = Battery 340 A (70 Ah)
3NC = Rear seat bench/backrest, split folding
C3N = Alloy wheels 6.5J x 16
4UE = Air bag for driver and front seat passenger
1LY = Disc brakes, front
G22 = Front shock absorption
8GD = Alternator 90A
8BF = Halogen headlight for driving on the left
VV0 = Standard front axle
6XC = Exterior mirrors: electrically adjustable
0G4 = Cable gearshift
U0K = Instrument insert with clock mph speedometer
9Q0 = Without multi-function display/ on-board computer
4X1 = Side air bag front
Q1A = Standard front seats
5SJ = Left exterior mirror: convex
7X0 = Without park distance control
0YE = Weight range 5 installation control only, no requirement forecast
X2B = National sales program Great Britain
8Z5 = Not hot country
4K4 = Radio remote controlled central locking
6TS = Right exterior mirror: aspherical, large viewing field
4R5 = Power windows with comfort operation andcircuit breaker, mechanical window regulators rear
L48 = Suspension range 48 installation control only, no requirement forecast
1N2 = Power steering electro-hydraulic
MN7 = 4-cyl. gasoline engine 1.4 L/55 kW 16V multi-point injection base engine is T1Q/T99/TK0
5D1 = Carrier frequency 433.92 MHz-434.42 Mhz
4GH = Windshield in heat-insulating glass with sunshield

Did some more tidying up today. The decimal point was missing from the 1.4 badge on the back, so I’ve debadged the 1 and 4 completely. Also tackled the watermarks on the drivers seat with some Autoglym Interior Shampoo.

Whilst I’m souring quotes for new cambelt and waterpump, I decided to try and book in a free health check at my local Audi centre, so the car is booked in for the 13th. Be interested to see what they find or advise.

At some point too I’ll probably swap the beige switch surrounds on drivers and passenger sides, for black ones. Will tidy things up and work well with my black and beige two tone interior.

IMG_0213.jpeg

Update after decoding delivery spec listed on the service book sticker. Doesn’t seem to list the Bose Concert, but that may be another code on the sticker I guess.

N0G = Fabric seat covering
NH = Didnt come up but guessing Soul option in rear as previously stated
E0A = No special edition
1KB = Drum brakes, rear
3FA = Without roof insert (standard roof)
F0A = No special purpose vehicle, standard equipment
T1Q = 4-cylinder gasoline engine 1.4 L unit 036.D (aluminum)
1MR = Leather steering wheel
7Q0 = Without navigation device
3L3 = Manual height adjustment for front seats
1SA = Without additional front underbody guard
0GG = Emission standard EU4
J0L = Battery 340 A (70 Ah)
3NC = Rear seat bench/backrest, split folding
4UE = Air bag for driver and front seat passenger
1LY = Disc brakes, front
G22 = Front shock absorption
8GD = Alternator 90A
8BF = Halogen headlight for driving on the left
VV0 = Standard front axle
6XC = Exterior mirrors: electrically adjustable
0G4 = Cable gearshift
U0K = Instrument insert with clock mph speedometer
9Q0 = Without multi-function display/ on-board computer
4X1 = Side air bag front
Q1A = Standard front seats
5SJ = Left exterior mirror: convex
7X0 = Without park distance control
0YE = Weight range 5 installation control only, no requirement forecast
X2B = National sales program Great Britain
8Z5 = Not hot country
4K4 = Radio remote controlled central locking
6TS = Right exterior mirror: aspherical, large viewing field
4R5 = Power windows with comfort operation andcircuit breaker, mechanical window regulators rear
L48 = Suspension range 48 installation control only, no requirement forecast
1N2 = Power steering electro-hydraulic
MN7 = 4-cyl. gasoline engine 1.4 L/55 kW 16V multi-point injection base engine is T1Q/T99/TK0
5D1 = Carrier frequency 433.92 MHz-434.42 Mhz
4GH = Windshield in heat-insulating glass with sunshield

That's not the complete list of build codes, because only 40 of them are shown.

You might find that the car actually has around 180 build codes, so there are a lot more.

You can get the complete list of build codes from an ebay seller for about 3 Euros (about £2.50) by searching "audi vin decoder factory options" on ebay to find the listing.

search "audi vin decoder factory options" on ebay to find this listing

The "vw codes decoder" doesn't always decode the build codes correctly. For example, in your list "C3N" is decoded as follows:

However, if you look at the Audi parts catalogue C3N is shown as follows (so your rim width is actually 6J not 6.5J):

"AUDI LLLPARTS" parts catalogue
28Z0601025HAluminium rim6Jx16 ET35 5/100 57.14PR-C3N
8Z0601025H Z17Avus silver

"AUDI 7ZAP" parts catalogue
28Z0601025Haluminium rim6Jx16 ET35 5/100 57.14PR-C3N
8Z0601025H Z17avus silver2004.00 - 2008.05

Last edited:
Morning,

Welcome and thank you for starting a project thread. I do enjoy reading what other folk get upto in their A2s as it gives me inspiration and ideas to try other options I might not have first considered.

Looking to forward to see how this thread developed.

Kind regards,

Tom

Got the week off so going to tackle the passenger door motor to see if I can fix that mirror movement, and replace both front check straps that arrived from @depronman today - if I can handle the heat out there today!

Drove Mrs Modecorp to the shops earlier and all good. A few questions though…

- The brakes seem to grind a bit at the front under braking. My first guess is pads, but its a sort of ABS grind you get when on snow etc.
- The 1.4 petrol sounds quite agricultural. Is that normal for these BBY engines?
- When I press the left hand DIS button (single lower screen only on mine), it cycles through some icons for temp, oil etc. How does one decipher these? The booklet I think assumes I have a double DIS.

Wish me luck!

It sounds like someone has previously retro-fitted a wiper stalk with DIS control, but not the full DIS screen. So the system is not set up for the stalk inputs. I'm surprised you're getting anything at all to be honest. If you have the full DIS you get average and instantaneous fuel economy, remaining range, average speed and total drivetime length since the last reset. It will also flash up every 2h of continuous drive time to remind you to take a break. It's worth pursuing the completion of the retro-fit that a previous owner started :)

The man that you need for all complicated A2 electrical matters is the legendary @timmus, Sadly he is currently "up an alp or so", but will be back in the UK before too long.

Best of luck with your project.

Its not got stalk buttons. Just the ones by the dials so I think its the basic system.
Sorry, that's me completely selectively-reading what you posted :oops: The wiper stalk's not even on the left! And the buttons are up/down 🤦‍♂️

Ahem, yes that's the basic system. The full DIS is still worth getting though :) As Simon says above, do go talk to the man who can. 👍

Thanks all!

So I just completed the jobs. One hour following the forum guide. First I did the passenger door. Couldn‘t get the tweeter disconnected so I just took the tweeter out from its plastic housing. Swapped the checkstrap. Very easy and sounds lovely now.

Also changed the motor I got from @A2Steve and whilst it fitted in easily enough, the mirror still doesn't move from the drivers side, so I’m going to need to check the button connections I think.

Lastly, I did the drivers side check strap. Same as the passenger side - all went very well and the hardest part was realigning the door card back on again as I’d never done it before on an A2. Once I‘d worked out you had to really get it tight against the glass at the top before clipping back into place, it was fine though and I’m sure I’ll get faster the more time I take them off.

The old checkstraps were not in good shape. I was greeted with lots of brass dust and both door pins didnt need a hammer to get them out, they just pulled out without too much resistance 😲

Additional note: after working on BMW’s for years, I was really impressed with Audi’s same Germanic logic and ease to work on. What really impressed me were things like the door card clips all surviving the day and all with rubber inserts to help reduce in cabin squeaks/noise. You can really see why Audi were ahead of their time with this car and spared little expense.

A few photos of the old check straps in situ…

IMG_0256.jpeg
IMG_0257.jpeg
IMG_0259.jpeg
IMG_0260.jpeg

Last edited:
Back