Chat Purchased a 1.6 FSI

AndyBa

I've been surfing around looking at an A2 to replace our 08 Skoda Octy Scout. The Skoda has had some expensive work over the years, new camshaft, dpf cleaning. Really nice car but no-longer required and now needs a DMF/clutch!
So my criteria was for a petrol A2. Preferably 1.4 but a 1.6 would be good. I'd tried a 1.4TDI before I bought a Beetle TDI but another diesel wasn't for me.
The A2 will help keep the miles off my MK2 Golf GTI. Otherwise known as my first child 😀
I saw this 53 plate A2 FSI on Gumtree and it was close by so I thought I'd check it out. It was a particularly muggy day when I went to see it but it looked clean and the body was straight. The main issue with it being poor starting. It takes a few turns and a bit of gas. The cambelt has been changed recently and there appears to be lots of life in the clutch. The sunroof doesn't work but I like the airy feel it offers so if it can't be fixed cheaply no bother. The body appears straight, only the rear arches looked like they had been resprayed, but I understand they can be replaced with original colour replacements (there are some on ebay). The passenger door has a minor crease and I've subsequently noted the passenger front door has been resprayed, it's been done well, it just doesn't match the original finish.
It looks like the starting has been an on-going issue and there's an invoice for a service inc sparkplugs cam sensor, some (not all) coil packs. Driving it home was fun. It drives well it's quite quick there were no unwanted noises, however I can detect a faint random mis-fire.
Plans:
I've got myself VCDSlite and a cable so intend to identify the starting issue without throwing too much money at it.....famous last words! 😀
As for the bodywork. I might search out original paint replacements.
I'm handy with spanners but no mechanic!
20231021_111616[1].jpg

Last edited:
I've been surfing around looking at an A2 to replace our 08 Skoda Octy Scout. The Skoda has had some expensive work over the years, new camshaft, dpf cleaning. Really nice car but no-longer required and now needs a DMF/clutch!
So my criteria was for a petrol A2. Preferably 1.4 but a 1.6 would be good. I'd tried a 1.4TDI before I bought a Beetle TDI but another diesel wasn't for me.
The A2 will help keep the miles off my MK2 Golf GTI. Otherwise known as my first child 😀
I saw this 53 plate A2 FSI on Gumtree and it was close by so I thought I'd check it out. It was a particularly muggy day when I went to see it but it looked clean and the body was straight. The main issue with it being poor starting. It takes a few turns and a bit of gas. The cambelt has been changed recently and there appears to be lots of life in the clutch. The sunroof doesn't work but I like the airy feel it offers so if it can't be fixed cheaply no bother. The body appears straight, only the rear arches looked like they had been resprayed, but I understand they can be replaced with original colour replacements (there are some on ebay). The passenger door has a minor crease and I've subsequently noted the passenger front door has been resprayed, it's been done well, it just doesn't match the original finish.
It looks like the starting has been an on-going issue and there's an invoice for a service inc sparkplugs cam sensor, some (not all) coil packs. Driving it home was fun. It drives well it's quite quick there were no unwanted noises, however I can detect a faint random mis-fire.
Plans:
I've got myself VCDSlite and a cable so intend to identify the starting issue without throwing too much money at it.....famous last words! 😀
As for the bodywork. I might search out original paint replacements.
I'm handy with spanners but no mechanic!
Check out the coil packs to see what brand they are. No brand, (or aftermarket brands like Brisk), almost certainly means poor quality, even if recently fitted. It's simply not possible to make good quality coil packs for a low price. Same for plugs, the FSI is as particular about it's plugs, as it is about fuel. It needs the plugs with 4 earth electrodes, not the normal 1 electrode. NGK, Bosch, Denso, Beru, etc.
Additional earth, (mine's engine to wiper mount), is an essential.
Mac

We had a similar starting issue on an FSi (endless cranking required) which was fixed with a new thermostat and associated 'brittle' housing replacement.

Check out the coil packs to see what brand they are. No brand, (or aftermarket brands like Brisk), almost certainly means poor quality, even if recently fitted. It's simply not possible to make good quality coil packs for a low price. Same for plugs, the FSI is as particular about it's plugs, as it is about fuel. It needs the plugs with 4 earth electrodes, not the normal 1 electrode. NGK, Bosch, Denso, Beru, etc.
Mac

I'll check the make of the coil packs IIRC the "new" ones are Bosch made in Turkey x2. The others are unknown, assume old. As for the spark plugs I'll remove one tomorrow and check. I have previously used the 4 node plugs in my Golf. I guess I ought to put some fuel additive in to "cleanse" the system too - any tested recommendations?

We had a similar starting issue on an FSi (endless cranking required) which was fixed with a new thermostat and associated 'brittle' housing replacement.
Interesting. I'm not sure I understand the relationship. But if it worked for you that's great. I've seen a few posts showing this thermostat housing. Seems a lot more complex than the Golf!

I'll check the make of the coil packs IIRC the "new" ones are Bosch made in Turkey x2. The others are unknown, assume old. As for the spark plugs I'll remove one tomorrow and check. I have previously used the 4 node plugs in my Golf. I guess I ought to put some fuel additive in to "cleanse" the system too - any tested recommendations?
V-Power on an ongoing basis and Cataclean as a one-off shock treatment, if you must - Although running it purely on V-Power from now on should negate the need for that if you’re able to regularly get it nice and hot on fast journeys.

Even the original coil packs will have Audi branding, so if no Audi or other "known" branding/logo, then they're not going to perform as required.
Totally agree about V Power.
Mac.

Just to be safe:

Yes I had a looksee at that. The MK2 golf has a winding metal coolant pipe which rots on one of the corners. I've changed that twice, once after overheating it. But a lot easier to do than the A2 death pipe which looks a PITA job.
No evidence of that pipe being changed on this car unfortunately.

Yeah its a long pipe I had a mk2. I think this "Death Pipe" can be fabricated out of stainless steel and be forgotten.

Mac
Engine to wiper mount is no good as an additional chassis earth, wiper motors are mounted on rubber bushes so all this is good for is if the wiper earth connection corrodes your still very much reliant on your factory earth currently for starting and charging

So today I did a little investigation
Removed on of the plugs which were replaced June 22. NGK ZFR 6S quads as per ECP. Confirmed 2x "new" Bosch coilpacks in cylinders 2 & 3. Gen VW/AUDI coilpacks in 1 & 3 possibly originals.
Spark plug very black so assume running rich? Isn't FSI meant to be lean-burn?
Noted the coilpack wiring wrap is a bit "ragged". Also it is earthed behind CP1. I cleaned that up. It started slightly better. Not sure if that was my imagination tho, it certainly wasn't perfect!

20231021_110217[1].jpg

20231021_100511.jpg

20231021_100516.jpg

20231021_105648.jpg

Last edited:
So today I did a little investigation
Removed on of the plugs which were replaced June 22. NGK ZFR 6S quads as per ECP. Confirmed 2x "new" Bosch coilpacks in cylinders 2 & 3. Gen VW/AUDI coilpacks in 1 & 3 possibly originals.
Spark plug very black so assume running rich? Isn't FSI meant to be lean-burn?
Noted the coilpack wiring wrap is a bit "ragged". Also it is earthed behind CP1. I cleaned that up. It started slightly better. Not sure if that was my imagination tho, it certainly wasn't perfect!
A scan's the way to go. Will, (probably), show which cylinders are missing, and may give you a clue on the mixture. When you do your first scan, save the results by copying into notepad, then go through each controller, one by one, clearing the faults. Repeat the scan, again, saving the results. Now, go for a run, and once the engine is warmed up, run the revs upto 4,000 a few times, accelerating through the gears, as well as a fast cruise.
Finally, scan again. This is the important one. What you see is what needs fixing.
Don't forget, use the FSI .lbl file,downloaded from here.
Mac.

A scan's the way to go. Will, (probably), show which cylinders are missing, and may give you a clue on the mixture. When you do your first scan, save the results by copying into notepad, then go through each controller, one by one, clearing the faults. Repeat the scan, again, saving the results. Now, go for a run, and once the engine is warmed up, run the revs upto 4,000 a few times, accelerating through the gears, as well as a fast cruise.
Finally, scan again. This is the important one. What you see is what needs fixing.
Don't forget, use the FSI .lbl file,downloaded from here.
Mac.
Thanks again Mac.

Have retro-added some piccies, so you can see what the latest member of the fleet looks like.

I'm wondering what this is Centre of the pic with the rusty splined bolts. Is it the EGR??

20231021_110648.jpg

Back