Putting oil in directly

OldSchool

A2OC Donor
Hi,

Motor Oil drips into ground when I try And top it up using the normal filler contraption - when I open The engine cover, I see A sort of shield covering the engine with 3 or so bolts sticking out of it…

Can I remove Those bolts and lift the shield off and find an oil filling hole thingy there like in normal old fashioned old school cars?

Thanks!

Hi,

You should be able to fill then engine oil after lifting up the engine cover with the three bolts yes.

The problem you have though I would not ignore too readily. Its fairly common for the filler pipe to crack and leak oil just as you have described.

It will/can cause the engine to have a vacuum leak which will effect the smooth running of the engine. Also to loose some engine oil.

Easy part to replace if you can source a new filler tube.

Craig

Hi,

You should be able to fill then engine oil after lifting up the engine cover with the three bolts yes.

The problem you have though I would not ignore too readily. Its fairly common for the filler pipe to crack and leak oil just as you have described.

It will/can cause the engine to have a vacuum leak which will effect the smooth running of the engine. Also to loose some engine oil.

Craig
Ok, thanks!

Hi,

Craig
Sourcing the filler tubes is becoming increasingly difficult, as many of them that are intact are brittle, and many of the brittle ones have broken. NLA even at Audi Tradition the last time I checked.

In the end I think I got mine from one of the A2 dismantlers after 2 or 3 failed efforts on Ebay (for at least 2 the part broke while being packaged or was already cracked before shipping it so they had to cancel the sale, and one arrived in the UK from Lithuania and then fell off the back of a lorry somewhere so was refunded), and this is again tricky because as A2Steve or Clackers etc. will ascertain, Tdi models were certainly less common than petrol-engined cars as dismantlers judging from what they've said over the time since I've been in the club.

Hi,

I think with care you maybe able to repair it by replacing the split pipe with a rubber hose of the right size. I'll do some research this evening and report back

I this temporary fix would get you by until you can finr a second hand part.

1000000097.jpg

oil filler neck connection tube

1000000098.jpg

Sharp knife cut the damaged pipe away
1000000101.jpg

Measure overall length of hose required to each collar on the end pieces.
1000000104.jpg

220mm length of hose with an internal diameter of 24mm and two jubilee clips.
The jubilee clips should fit in the space, it may take a couple of attempts to get them positioned so they fit.

The other thing to mention is the hose that was cut out was corrugated to stop it collapsing in on itself I guess. The new rubber hose should be oil and fuel resistant possibly marine grade to give a bit of support in the wall of the hose.

Good luck !

Attachments

• 1000000096.jpg
    1000000096.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 1000000098.jpg
    1000000098.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:
My tip would be to just blind off the whole thing and fill oil using the standard oil filler cap located on top. This is how I do on my TDI.

The thread that discussed fixin' or blankin' found here

Along with a German A2 discussion here. Pictures and a diagram shows the collar which is depressed before the silver pipe will release from the engine block the disign is similar to the plastic speedfit plumbing connector.
(AMF engine)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back