Real world MPG

apn

Hi

Can anyone please give me an idea of real world MPG, for both a 1.6 fsi, and 1.4 tdi, on long runs (100 miles +) on dual carraigeways.

Thanks for the help.

I commute every weekend between Scotland and Newcastle up and down the A1 (part dual, part single) in my TDi 1.4. Fuel consumption is surprising variable, and depends on a variety of factors.

My mood makes a difference, as if I'm in a hurry my right foot gets heavier, whereas if I'm feeling chilled I drive slower and get better mpg. The weather makes a huge difference too, especially wind. Obviously tailwinds help and headwinds don't, but even cross winds somehow contrive to lower the mpg too. Trundling along behind lorries that y ou cannot pass at 45 mph is frustrating, but there is no doubt the mpg goes up to compensate.

So ... if I'm chasing on in poor conditions, I get about upper 40's (say 48mpg), but if I am driving a bit more relaxed (yet still probably above the posted limits, I'm NOT a slow driver) I have seen 65mpg on a few occasions.

Real world? ... I reckon that car does between 54 and 56 mpg under most out of town driving.

My A2 (1.4 TDI) averages between 57.5-63mpg.
During the winter it rarely got above 56/58mpg, but now the weather is getting warmer its sitting around the 59/62ish mark.

This is mostly short Motorway distances (15-20 miles) and a bit of town driving. :)

I'm very light on the loud pedal as well, usually keeping the revs around 2k.

I live 8 miles out of town, and with my daily commute into Aberdeen I can get up to the mid 50's mpg when "driving for economy". This can go down to the mid 40's with a heavier right foot :D

hi just to give you a petrol mpg:- my 1.6fsi gives 51.2 mpg week in week out. thats my workings out as i dont have dis on mine(435 miles to 8.5gallons). i travel 30miles each way for work 1/2 the time is townish/country roads the rest is a roads 70-75 mph---i am very happy with that:D i am soon going up to yorkshire from essex so i am hoping to up it slightly but we will see.
i had enquired with a member on here about having cruise control fitted but havent had the free time to see the nice chap and have it done. i feel that that will increase my long trip mpg.
happy a2 ing
ps i have seen 54mpg but that was in the first week and tacking it easy

Sorry to gloat, guys, but my 1.2Tdi is averaging 94.6 currently. And I live in a built up area. It'll easily top 100 on a long run and once (when I REALLY tried) I got 120.2mpg door to door over 170 miles.
I do drive pretty steadily though. I gather other 1.2 drivers are getting about 88mpg.

Can anyone please give me an idea of real world MPG, for both a 1.6 fsi, and 1.4 tdi, on long runs (100 miles +) on dual carraigeways.

Most of my driving is cross country. You can see my mpg stats on google (link below)

For ages I was getting 62 mpg but it has dropped to 58 mpg since last Nov which I put down to being colder, new tyres (softer compound), due for 2 year service, more dual carriageway (A303/A34/M3/M27 once a week rather than A & B roads)

I've been trying to drive at 65-70 mph and the figs are now nearer 60 mpg.

i have a TDI 75 and i day to day driving the few mile commute and local driving i get around 42mpg at the moment

in winter this has dipped down to 35mpg which i think is very low

i calculate brim to brim or usually based on how many litres of fuel has been used

My 1.4 tdi 75 (remapped to 120 bhp by Jabbasport) has averaged 55.5 mpg over the 10,000 miles I've done since I bought the car last August.

I did an economy run on Sunday, drove 50 miles, stuck as close to 60mph on dual carriageway for the whole journey. Didn't use cruise and adjusted my acceleration to keep trying to get the instant mpg above the average. Got 68.5mpg.

This morning I drove from Belfast to Dublin in a hurry. Got 52mpg.

Thanks for all the figures, the 1.6 fsi is surprisingly good.

I know the tax is £35 on the tdi. What is it on the fsi?

Thanks

Thanks for all the figures, the 1.6 fsi is surprisingly good.

I know the tax is £35 on the tdi. What is it on the fsi?

Thanks

Tax at £35 applies to only the post March 2001 registered cars. For the FSi, it'll be £115.

Cheers,

Mike

currently doing a 84 mile commute down the M56, with urban traffic around Wallesey at the end. Averaging on a tank 63mpg.

BB

2005 1.4 TDI SE

Last edited:
I have only a standard 1.4TDi, which does not have a trip computer, but in money terms, it cost £33 to fill up and i get over 330 miles, which for me is really good..

Just got back from twickenham, and in the 1.4TDi I did 390 miles at about an average of 73.5mpg!
going there I covered 194miles at an average consumption of 74.8mpg, coming back 196miles at 72.3mpg
It was mostly motorway, stuck to 70mph (cruise control), had a few slow stretches, esp M25, and crawl near staines.

Glen

Hello Glen,
That's a very good mpg. What year is your Tdi and does it have the EU3 or EU4 engine?
Thanks
Keith

Drove my re-mapped TDi 75 EU4 engined A2 from near Inverness to home near Leeds on Saturday with a passenger, large dog and holiday luggage on board. Drove quite hard and above the speed limit where speed cameras allowed. On BP Ultimate gave 54mpg actual ( not on board computer calculated) on a refill to the brim.

I get 10.5 miles per litre out of my 1.6FSI.
Always fill up to brim and reset the trip counter.

Today filled up and had done 350 miles. Took 34 litres.
The number of litres needed is always within a litre of number of miles driven divide by 10.
I think thats just over 47mpg so pretty happy with that.

Thats a mix of motorway work, B roads and city driving.

Back