Opensky broken - Help!

Hay ppl id the same problem as this with my audi! the cable seems to have detached itself from the right hand side motor/cable guide and did not pull or push!! therefore i sent an email to the manufacturer Arvin Meritor, i got a reply as is below:

The described malfunction indicates that the push pull cable has got disconnected from the mechanism on one side.
Audi has created a repair kit which is available at the Audi dealership. It is designed to repair the sunroof in such instances without taking it out of the car and dismantling it entirely. The Audi part # is 8Z0 898 738 B.

We hope this information will help your problem.

ive yet to contact an audi dealership about the part myself, hope this saves you money as it will do me hopefully.... fingers crossed.. ill keep yall posted.. CHeWiTT

Another OSS bites the dust

Hey guys, just thought I'd mention that my 7 year old Open Sky has just given up the ghost. Drove in to work with it merely tilted up, arrived and pressed the close button - it closed and then went bang! I opened it again using the button and retracted it a few inches, then attempted to close it again. Unfortunately it got as far as the stage 1 tilt and then stopped - woudn't close any further! Had to use the hand crank device which worked ok - the roof seemed to travel in straight lines but it was just the final closing stage that failed. I've booked it into Camberely Audi week after next so we'll see what they say but given the many comments already published within these threads it doesn't look like the news will be too encouraging. Am absolutely gutted though!!

right, some more information, from another reliable source.

http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showpost.php?p=840288&postcount=758

Don't compare this with a translation from babelfish or google, I am translating sense and not individual words. "I" in this context means the writer of the original post and not me. See his profile (especially the "danke" numbers) for his standing in the DE community.

I cannot compare with a new OSS. The noise comes from the cogs, which then fails to connect with the cables.
We had the same problem; we cleaned the rails and greased them with the correct lithium grease - they were still hard to pull.
I think that the difficulty in moving comes from worn lubricant parts of the carrier at the bottom of the rail or from the rails themselves are worn and therefore provide more friction. The rear carriers are available seperately, the front ones only with the cable set.

All replacement parts and repair or maintenance kits come together to around 350-400€ + labour.
That was too much for us. We also didn't want to remove the roof completely and dismantle it, so we went a different way.

We tried to stop that the cog wheel of the motor would spin without catching. The cog from "Schatz" (the nickname of the car owner) was worn in the middle. Therefore we initially attempted with 1.5mm thick washers to raise the motor on each of the three screws. The pinion then moved again, in a different position to before. Success was only short, however, as the same problem started again.
The reason was that the housing of the guide for the pinion was too wide apart. Here you must work with a pipe wrench or similar to push the housing together; Schatz managed to push it so far that the cog only just fit in the hole.

Before you then replace the moment, the roof must be brought in to the closed position.
That means:
- the rear carriers as far forwards as possible until they ratchet into place
- the front carriers as far forwards as possible and note that the bottom section sits right at the front of the track of the upper section; the upper section MUST be in the position as if the roof was closed.
Both steps are easiest to complete if sections 2 and 3 of the roof are removed (this means both the sections that move).
When you are done you must remove all swarf from the motor and the cable housings. I do not know if you should lubricate here, we did not. You can then reinstall the motor; with or without washers is your decision. Then you must press "CLOSE" on the roof for 10-15seconds: This teaches the roof where the closed position is. Do this at least twice, as it is not guaranteed that the motor learns the closed position first time around.

This is only a temporary solution; the real one is to swap all four carriers out and a new motor without broken cog / pinion.

This should provide enough information for some smart mechanic somewhere to solve the issue. I suspect strongly that the material on the bottom of the carrier is a relatively thin film of plastic and that over time (especially with rain and therefore dirt) it is abraded away.

Bret

Back